Delaware
Options

Guest Signing

Hey ladies-

Hope we all have been doing well, I was just curious what everyone was doing for guestbooks... are you doing photo guestbooks or regular guestbooks or having a photo enlarged, something different. I am trying to think of which one I want to do

Re: Guest Signing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been back and forth with this :/  I think we're just going with a traditional guest book at this point.  I found a really pretty one with cherry blossoms on it, so I think I'll just stick with it.  I entertained doing a pic with a signature mat, but that would be a HUGE frame to hang.  I like the idea of doing a signature scrapbook, but I don't know if I'm going to have time to put one together.
    *Lauren*
    Married Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Guest Book didn't make the cut for things that I needed and was willing to spend money on.  The guest book/signature frame and the cake topper got the axe.  We're just going with a simple guest book.  Its a cute one I got off of ebay that looks like a business card holder and people can write whatever they want on a card (so there is more room than just one line for a signature) and we'll insert the cards into the book.
  • Options
    Dnyce7282Dnyce7282 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sparrow- I've been back & forth too! and it's really not that big a deal and I'm leaning toward going w/ the regular sign-in/non-picture simply because I'm thinking, are we really going to have it anywhere

MH- you're guestbook sounds unique, i like that... i may try to find something like that

• Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Martha Stewart sells something like that.

http://www.marthastewartcrafts.com/detail.php?p=58580

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks... I'll check them both out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dnyce, if you want to do something like that, why not supply pages/cards for guests to write on, and then scrapbook it yourself?  The nice part about it at that point is you can also include pictures of your wedding along with guest sentiments and other mementos.

More than likely, that's what we are going to be doing.  I wanted something different- as much as I want to save money, I also want something that will get looked at and used (because spending money on something that will sit on a shelf for years and years is a waste, to me anyway.  I can not remember what my mom and dad's guest book looks like, because I have never seen it).  I also wanted something small that guests could do during the cocktail hour, whether it was signing a card with colored markers, scrapbooking a piece of paper themselves, or decorating a peice of cloth to be sewn into a quilt that we could hang.

It will be one of the above- I love the quilt idea, but would have to get the materials afterwards for the finishes; I already have craptons of scrapbooking stuff.  Plus, because it is one of my hobbies, it means more to me.

If you aren't a scrapbooker, never fear- all the crafting stores have "kits" now that are super easy to put together (matching books, pages, and embellishments).  Some of them even have "ready made" scrapbooks where all you do is imput pics and cards.  Even if you have never done it and want to learn, most of the stores offer classes, and it's so easy- that's the wonderful thing about it; you don't need all the big fancy tools, just some paper, mementos, and fun embellishments (though I do loooove my Cricut!).  All I am saying is check out your local craft stores (with coupons) before ordering online, because you should be able to get a good deal!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like the signed framed photo idea but am torn now because...will we really hang it up???  I like the scrap book idea though
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of the other reasons I strayed from the scrapbook idea was because I was wondering when guests would have time to write more than just their names.  Having someone man the guestbook as people are coming in to the wedding seems like a good way to get all the invitees to sign, but I know when my cousin did the signature mat at her reception, I signed towards the end of the night and was one of only a few that had actually done it.  I don't know, I'm so torn :/
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm torn too. I def don't want a guest book of any sort bc I know I will never look at it again and not everyone signs anyways but I really like the photo mat idea but just not sure where I will hang it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm starting to think I'll forgo a guestbook altogether...Mattsbride, you're right, I doubt I'll ever look at it again as well, and I KNOW who's going to be at the wedding from the RSVPs...thinking the money could be better served for something else :/
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also just found out that a lot of people do quilts either just the pieces are signed or it's put together already and people sign where's there's a free area... I'm leaning toward that, I also like the mention of the blank cards/recipe box

Glad to see I'm not that only one who cannot decide what to do
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think one of the reasons I liked the scrapbook idea is I wanted to give guests something to do at the cocktail hour besides eat and drink (and talk of course).  I know I have been to several where all I did was stuff my face, and I hated myself for it later.  I thought if I gave them an activity (like signing small cards or a piece of fabric), then it wouldn't be so bad.  I also think I like the idea about both because if you were to supply different size paper, or supply fabric markers, they could write a note, or just write their names.  It doesn't have to be complicated.

One of the reasons I definitely nixed the mat idea (and this is just a thought, something to keep in mind) is that at every wedding I have been to where people sign the mat, I have usually been towards the end signing it...and there is never enough room left on it.  I usually am left signing the edges in really small print because everyone else has signed, and some people sign so large.  It's one of those things that you can't control, and it really bothers me that some people may not sign because others signed too big.

And another completely different idea:  What about having guests sign a platter?  There is one company on Etsy, Serendipity Crafts, who does custom platters and can do whatever you want, whether it's your monogram or one of their customizable plates (they have ones where you can make the bride and groom look like yourselves...I have seen ones done for police officers and military spouses, and they are so cute!).  They also have a website and a blog where you can look at all the ones they have done and get ideas.  If their prices are too high (they can get expensive), head to either Everyday Artists (in Hockessin) or the Painted Playtapus (in Newark) and paint your own plate for people to sign; they have large platters plus other neat ideas, and it's much cheaper.

The nice thing about this is you don't have to worry about "framing it"- you just go to AC Moore and get a plate hanger.  Plus, I think it makes a more interesting wall art piece, if you know what I mean.  The downside is also the name signing problem if people sign too large, but if you get a large enough platter you should be okay (and if you have someone manning the table or put a sign out that reads "please write small enough so other guests can sign too" that would also help).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we're designing a big poster to look like a concert poster and have guests "autograph" it in silver sharpie.  We'll be the main act, one-night only, and our bridal party will be the opening acts.  We both love music so this makes sense for us.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Future Mrs- the poster sounds awesome, you'll have to post a pic of it after the wedding... what an interesting concept... niiice!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I found the most elegant guest book ever!  It is a signature frame, but yet it is silver...not cardboard and you sign it with this diamond pen.  Also very affordable at $99 for the small size.  Davids Bridal carries it in their stores now...I bought mine online and later saw it in the store.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards