Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Assigned or Unassigned Seating?

My fiance (and his mother) have both made remarks about wanting the seating at our reception to be UNassigned.  I think it is most appropriate to have assigned seating, as this will make our space more efficient (if we do unassigned we have to have more tables).  His sister's wedding reception had unassigned seating and there were lots of half-filled or even empty tables throughout the night.

I never considered unassigned seating until they said something. My mom and I are both pretty firm on wanting assigned seating but am I missing something on this unassigned thing??  Is it something I should consider?

Re: Assigned or Unassigned Seating?

• Options
    We are having assigned tables, but people can pick their seats at the tables (8 or 10-person rounds).  FI and I briefly considered open seating, but decided against it for the reasons you (OP) and bsn mention.  People will be up and about during cocktail hour, getting food (we're having stations), and while dancing, so we're not concerned that no one will mingle. 
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TK is being funky...I thought my reply was eaten, so sorry for the double post!
  • Options
    assign tables and let your guests choose the seat at that particular table.
    unassigned seating (when i've been to events with it) are a nightmare.

• Options
    We're doing assigned tables, not assigned seats. This way you have less tables, less centerpieces and less empty space.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I had unassigned seating and I regret it.

We had huge gaps in the tables, people wandering around and no real order to it.
  • Options
    It's actually a courtesy to your guests to assign tables.  If you don't, you run the risk of families or groups of friends being split up (I remember this happening a lot when I was a kid...unless you are the first one there, very seldomly can you find a table with 5 seats together, it was always such a PITA and I hated getting stuck at tables where I didn't know anyone).  You can also avoid family drama (if Betty and Suzie hate each other, you don't want them ending up having to sit at the same table), place people properly (you don't want your 80 year old grandmother getting stuck right next to the speakers).

There's just so many good reasons to assing tables and none to not do it (the time that it takes isn't a good reason not to do it)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We plan on assigning tables and then letting them sit by who they want to at that table. It will just make things a little more organized.
  • Options
    I DOCed a friend's wedding as a favor to her.  She had planned to assign tables, but I guess ran out of time, so it was open seating.  All of my friends in attendance were at one table, and by the time I could spare a moment to grab a plate, there wasn't a seat left for me, so I had to eat my lunch standing up in the kitchen.

Please do table assignments.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I originally did not want assigned tables and such but then I got thinking and I did not want people to be the last in a group of people to get to the wedding and be stuck at a table by themselves.

So we are doing assigned tables now. I feel much better about it now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was going to assign tables, but got too lazy to worry about it.  We went with open seating and it worked out fine.  I actually had people thank me for letting them sit where they wanted.  It doesn't work for everyone, though.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    Ah ha!  Assigned tables, not assigned seating!  I guess that's what I originally meant.  Assigning each seat would make me feel like a little Hitler. :)  Thank you all for confirming that I am not CRAZY for wanting to have some order to the reception.

Now to politely and firmly disagree with my fiance (and more importantly, his mom) :)  Haha......
  • Options
    Having been on the receiving end (guest) of open seating, it can be SO uncomfortable! I one time when to a wedding, alone, where I've been friends with the groom's family my WHOLE life, but I knew no one else. I ended up randomly choosing a table; only ONE other couple sat at that one, across from me, and wouldn't even look at me! It made me feel sad :)
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I've been to several weddings without assigned seating, including weddings where I knew no one but the bride and maybe a bridesmaid. It was never a problem :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_assigned-unassigned-seating?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:49c3fe06-1dab-48ba-b773-4979c29ddf21Post:55efe711-15cf-42de-959e-cfa2adf7daeb">Re: Assigned or Unassigned Seating?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not assigning seating, actually we aren't even having seating for everyone.  We are having seating for about 60 guests and then offering bistro tables to have more of a cocktail, mingling atmosphere.  We didn't want people to be sitting all night.  This was a suggestion from our caterer and since we will be having close to 160 people at our wedding, it will be obvious seating is limited - I just hope it works out as well as they made it sound. 
    Posted by kathleenpa_c[/QUOTE]

I'd be really concerned with this idea...in theory sounds great, but if you're having dancing and all, people are going to want to sit! Take a break! Relax! How are you choosing which "special" 60 people get to sit, and which 100 are forced to stand? Bistro tables are great for a cocktail hour, but not a whole reception. Just something to seriously consider!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    We are not assigning seating, actually we aren't even having seating for everyone.  We are having seating for about 60 guests and then offering bistro tables to have more of a cocktail, mingling atmosphere.  We didn't want people to be sitting all night.  This was a suggestion from our caterer and since we will be having close to 160 people at our wedding, it will be obvious seating is limited - I just hope it works out as well as they made it sound. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you should guarantee everyone a seat. Some people may leave their seat but leave a jacket or purse to save their spot. So some people may be standing for hours. It would be annoyingn to have to sit and eat, then take my stuff and walk around and dance w/my purse.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are having a 4 hour cocktail style reception.  We are planning on having enough tables and chairs for everyone (after much gnashing of teeth).  Basically we went to an open seating wedding and it was awkward sitting with people who wanted nothing to do with us.  My question is, given that we are only serving hors d'oeuvres and cake, would you still do assigned tables in that case?  We want to make sure people mingle and get up and dance.  Thanks.
  • Options

Assisgned tables means that both of your parents and important family will get a seat nice and close to you and your hubby where they deserve.  If you have open seating you risk "that crazy friend who you really are not that close with" sits right up front and your important family who is likely the last to get seated will end up in the corner, or at least some of them will get split up as not enough seats left at the table.

September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
  • Options
    please do assigned seats! i thnk guests get confused were there is not assigned tables. and i have a horror story:

we went to one wedding were the ceremony and reception were in the same roon. before the ceremony we made name tags and put them on a table where would have liked to sat at. after the ceremony we all went outside for a group picture while the staff moved the tables out from the perimeter. when we got back in and went to our "table" our nametags were gone. we looked on every signle table and could not find them anywhere. some other party guest threw them out! we ended up at a small table literally on the dance for next to the door. it was awful!

• Options
    I had this same question bouncing around in my head. Thank you - I think we'll go with assigned tables but let people choose their seats. That makes sense and gives the guests some flexibility.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards