North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Caterer Recommendations

I was originally leaning toward Black Pelican, but I wasn't overly thrilled with their food at the open tasting.  I'm looking into other caterers.  Does anyone have suggestions?  I've heard some other big ones are Lone Cedar and Red Sky.  Any comments on those?  We're going to have 150 guests and we want seafood (and some chicken/beef for the non-seafood lovers).  Thanks!

Re: Caterer Recommendations

• Options
    Have you eaten at Kelly's ever?  We're going with them because we've had good experiences at the restaurant, and they're really easy to work with (there aren't many "extras" when it comes to pricing).  We have our tasting in a little over a week with them. 

Others do recommend Red Sky, but they were out of our budget.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    Depending on where your reception is.. but we had a tasting at both Red Sky and Coastal Provisions, and Coastal Provisions food was by far better, we even went back later in the week to have dinner there! Both Eric and Nina were great to work with, and good on responses. I found both of their prices to be similar. In my day job I plan events for a non-profit organization, and find the prices they were charging to be comparable to what we would pay for an event in my hometown, which is very small.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    We used Coastal Provisions and their food is soooo good!  I was extremely impressed, not only with the full flavor of the food, but the presentation as well.  The Rosemary Crusted Chicken with Pesto Aioli sauce is absolutely mouth-watering.

And they have been voted as having the best crab cakes on the Island the past few years...and they are good.

Now I am hungry!  ;)

• Options
    We are using Ortega'z.  LOVED the pricing :)  But also their food is delicious!  We are doing a Fajita Bar (chicken, steak, shrimp) and their Southwestern Lasagna though.  Ortega'z is actually a Southwestern style restaurant.  I'm not sure how their "other" food is.  Everything we've had has been amazing though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Good Life Gourmet!! They are caterering my daughter's wedding. Wonderful to work with. Steve is open to all suggests. Tons of choices on the caterering menu. Plus he will customize any recipe. Such as if you really want Grandma's recipe for whatever dish...he will make it! Steve also offers lots of ideas for other parts of the reception! Food is delicious!
  • Options
    We are going with Ocean Boulevard for our Sept wedding.  Have really enjoyed meeting with Donny and Annette, and though we haven't finalized our menu yet, we're also looking at seafood and beef.  Looking forward to choosing the appetizers and sides, too!  We talked to Coastal Provisions also and they were very attentive, and their food has been great whenever we've had it.
  • Options
    We just had our tasting at Kelly's and it was amazing! Everything that we picked was delicious and Mary Ann brought out many other options for us to try. The way that they treated us was also a plus for us. I had a couple caterers who were not as hospitable and not as helpful communicating. Mary Ann and everyone at Kelly's has been great! We also liked that Kelly's brings everything like utensils, plates, and. glassware.
  • Options
    Yay!   So glad to hear that your tasting at Kelly's went well.  We have our tasting next Saturday, and I'm really looking forward to it. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    Their food was great! They even brought us our drink of choice and dessert to try at the end. The best part was that we had plenty to take back to try throughout the weekend to make decisions on what we like.
  • Options
    That's great news.  What are you guys leaning towards?
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    Some of the things we still are not sure on because both options we tried were great! One of the appetizers we really liked were the tomato pies vs. the traditional bruchetta. It was just something different and delicous! As far as the entrees we picked a beef, chicken and fish option before we went and tried the beef and 2 chicken options. All were good. We also tried the crab dip, 2 types of stuffed mushrooms, scallops, and ahi tuna, everything was really good. The best part is we liked everything so no matter what we picked we know it will be good!
  • Options
    I think the Dunes restaurant also offers catering services.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We went with Lone Cedar Cafe and it was amazing! Very easy to work with and helped us choose different foods to make it all fit under our budget.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  I guess I will need to set up some tastings or eat dinner at some of these places to check them out.  My parents and I are going to be in the OBX for a week this summer so I hope to get it the caterer booked since that is the only vendor we haven't set up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards