Honeymoon Discussions

Belize?

FI and I are going to talk with a TA about our HM for September soon and want an AI. We were thinking Mexico, but my boss said to check out Belize. I want beachy and chill and FI wants adventure. Has any been there and what do you recommend? Our budget is about $2,500 including flights from Atlanta.

Re: Belize?

• I have been to Belize and it was my favorite trip of all time! We stayed at the Black Rock Lodge http://www.blackrocklodge.com/home.html for the "adventure" and then on Ambergris Caye for beach. The Black Rock was awesome-lots of things to do on location as well as organized trips to Tikal and other Mayan ruins. Ambergris I did not like as much-the beaches are pretty bad because the reef is really close to shore-so the water is very shallow and the beaches are short and covered in reef remnants.  The reef/snorkling is amazing, but not the greatest place to sit on a beach.

I have heard that the beaches in Placencia are really, really nice though, and you can still access the reef from there. Our trip (9 days from NYC) was about $3500 so you could probably do it in your budget if you didn't do as many organized trips as we did (which cost about $80-150pp).  
  • We went to Belize in June 2010 for a vacation and totally loved it. People were very friendly. We spend about $3000 for 7 days (food, air, resort included). We stayed for 5 days on the mainland and stayed at a small resort called Black Orchid. It was next to the river. They offered all inclusive packages, so we chose them. It's a small resort with a swimming pool.  We stayed there and took each day excursions to different Mayan ruins, went cave tubing and ziplining another day and checked out a waterfall.

For the remainder of our trip, we flew to San Pedro, which is a small cute town on one of the cayes...and stayed at the Victoria House... it was beautiful, romantic, etc... we went snorkeling at the reefs and swam with sting rays and nurse sharks. I can definitely recommened Belize for a trip. We would love to go back there one day. Just make sure to bring bug sprays though... especially if you go to the jungle for the ruins. :)
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • i've been researching belize for half the day. thanks so much for this info.
  • Thanks for the tips guys! I think FI would definitely enjoy the jungle trips =P
  • edited December 2011
    Check out St. Georges Caye Resort, there is a deal going on on luxurylink.com that has got me thinking about Belize too!
  • edited December 2011

Check out St. Geroge's Caye Resort on luxurylink.com!  That has got me thinking about Belize too!

• meliB229meliB229 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I haven't been but we just booked our airfair for our 10 day honeymoon to Belize for late Augsut/early september! 
    I did tons of research before and the only downside is that it is the rainy season and hurrican season, so keep that in mind. The southern part of the country, such as Placincia (sp?) can be hard to travel to if there is rain. I did lots of past weather searches and hurricans are rare, but are more likely to come in late September or October. 

have fun!
    -M

• We went to Belize on vacation last March & had a great time, although eye-opening.  We visited Caye Caulker (very laid back island) & Caye Ambergris (busier, bigger & more touristy than the former).  This was our tropical beach experience.  Then we rode the bus from Belize City to the western border to the city of San Ignacio.  Here we did an excursion to the ruins.  We stayed in cheap hotels ($20-60/night) and took the bus that all the residents ride making for an eye-opening interesting experience ($7 cross country).  I wish we had time for Placencia, but we did not.  If you budget travel, be sure to bring your own lock for your hotel room if staying in a place that provides a master lock type.  We didn't and had $$ stolen.  I was naive and never traveled to a foreign country and apparently regular travelers that stay in hostels know this.  The places with "normal' door locks like here in the US, we had no trouble with stuff stolen.  We spent our last day walking around Belize City and wow - very poor!  But, fun & we made sure to end our walking before dark.  I'm suring spending more will afford you more luxury, but we were looking to see the country as the residents do.
  • I just found this post on a search. We just booked our honeymoon to Belize last week. We are going to Caves Branch Jungle Lodge. My fiance' is a caver. I've gone on a couple caving trips with him. The second night of our trip, we are rappelling down 300 ft into a sinkhole. They call it the Black Hole Drop. I've never rappelled before. We have the honeymoon package that includes us staying overnight in a room they have set up in it with champagne, etc. I told him that's the only way I'm rappelling 300 ft down into a sinkhole!

http://belizex.com/black-hole-drop.html

There is another cave we'll be going in, also, plus seeing the Mayan ruins. We are staying for 8days/7nights. I'm excited!
    Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards