Canada-Ontario

Photographer

I'm wondering...what is your opinion about splurging on a photographer? Is it worth it????

Can anyone give me a reference for a good photographer in the Caledon-Mississauga area?

Thanks chickies:)

Re: Photographer

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely splurge - you will have these pictures forever.  I used Joni Allardyce (www.joniallardyce.com), although I am bias because she is my cousin-in-law now, but she has done an incredible number of weddings and has a very creative eye.  Most photographers will travel, even if not from the area as well, so don't limit yourself too much in terms of their location.
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends on what your budget is... I spent about $400 more than I wanted to but to me it was entirely worth it.

I've booked SilverLight Photography - Steve - he will travel. 
    http://www.silverlightphotography.ca/

My engagement photos turned out so well, I can't wait to see our wedding pictures!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we actually decided not to splurge. we have a professional photographer but shopped for the most inexpensive. to be honest i just wanted to have one really great photo to frame. and we want to make small albums for our parents. but our parents would be happy with snapshots. so we don't need tons of amazing shots.  i'm not married yet so don't know how important the photos will be to me afterwards. but every couple i know says that their photos are sitting in a lump in a box somewhere collecting dust. even the ones that decided to splurge and the ones that had all intentions of making a nice album for themselves. think about your budget and what's the most important to you. the most important to us was food and the venue so we splurged on that.
  • edited December 2011
    Our photographer was Rebecca Lozer out of Milton. She is wonderful and while she is more expensive now than she was when we hired her, she is worth every penny. As to whether she is expensive or not, I guess that depends on your definition of expensive. I would have loved to have 5k to spend on photography but we didn't. We paid $1500 plus taxes and lucked out because in my opinion, our photographer did work that was the quality of photographers who charge much, much more. But she was just starting out.
  • edited December 2011
    we hired All This Happiness- they a photography and videography duo. They were the cheapest we saw when combining both- as we really wanted a video too. We get a long with them really really well- they are so laid back and natural.

I got an excellent deal for both so messageme and I can tell you how much they cost (this was inclusive of tax)!! 
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With photography, you really do get what you pay for. So it is worth it to get the best you can afford. There are a lot of schmucks who just pick up a camera and call themselves "photographers".

I really cherish my wedding photos.

That being said, if your budget is tight, there are good mid-priced photographers who do great work (I'm talking $1,000 - $2,500 range). They may not be as artsy as the high end photographers, and they may spend less time editing photos to perfection... but depending on your style, you may actually prefer this.

We used Jill Promoli and loved her, but I think she's kind of on mat leave so I'm not sure how much wedding work she's doing these days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Merrow Photography, I am very happy with my engagement pictures, can't wait to see my wedding photos.
  • edited December 2011

Photography is a toughy! I totally understand why they charge so much ... but $3000 is STILL $3000  -I mean, think of what else you could do with it, right! Personal preference is huge. For me, I want my photographs to tell a story, but I only need enough to fill 1 album -10 yrs from now I doubt I'll have many wedding photos hung up on walls, etc.

My friends and I have lucked out on fabulour photographers for lower prices by hiring recent grads  -they are eager to please, want to establish themselves. I am paying $1000 cash plus meals for 2 photographers and an assistant. They are meeting us this month to check out the park free of charges (i'll probably get them lunch or dinner). I have a friend in photography who have me a list of questions to ask them and he checked out the her website. Got a deal by paying up front in cash and signed a contract. She is in Waterloo but will travel to Oakville for me. I can pass on her contact info if you'd like. Very reasonably priced.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My advice would be to splurge on this item before anything. At the end of the day, you will have memories and pictures!!
    Check out wedding PHotojournalist association - http://www.wpja.com
    Great list of photographers.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I would say you can actually get someone great for $1500 or even less if you ask and search around.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it entirely depends on what your definition of "splurge" is since the prices of photographers varies SO much ($500  to > $6000).  $6,000?  To me, not worth it.  You can get a really good photographer who will include the digitals and touchups for <$2000.  Is that a "splurge" for you?

Personally (and in general) I wouldn't trust a <$1000 photographer or an amateur since I want pictures that will be amazing and last a lifetime.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

We used Marta Tomsa Photography (www.martatomsa.com). Her regualr price is $1200 but because we got married on a Friday in March she knocked the price down to $400 (since we told her that was our budget). We had a secondary photographer (family friend) but Marta did a great job and we are very pleased with her work. We also had a videographer which I am so glad that we paid for because it's one thing to see the pictures (as they speak thousands of words) but it's also nice to re-live the moment again by watching what you didn't get to see.

• edited December 2011
    I thought it was totally worth it.  Our 2 big splurges were photos & flowers.

We booked nathan from red lotus design media.

http://www.redlotusdesignmedia.ca/blog/category/photography/
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We really carefully looked at samples from dozens of photographers, and found just the style we were looking for without going really high end. I absolutely recommend Andy from Adesign Wedding - the photos are gorgeous and he perfectly balanced the candids my DH wanted, the cool poses I wanted, and the formal family shots our families wanted. He was unobtrusive yet managed to be there at exactly the right moment, every time!

http://www.adesignwedding.com/

• libertaslibertas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer was our second-biggest expense after the reception (the venue took care of food, rentals and so on so it was all-inclusive). I don't regret it one bit.

We found ways to save elsewhere to compensate. Our favours were boxes of my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies. I made super simple programs myself. My best friend wrote out the placecards using DIY kits.

We paid around $4,000 including taxes, which is on the expensive side but we also got great value for the money. Our photos are beautiful, we had two photographers with us for 14 hours and our package included a two-hour engagement session and a hardcover photo album, plus a $200 credit for prints ordered through the photographer (he also does canvas wraps).

My two big priorities were great food and great photos, so that's what we put the money into. I have no regrets.

(We went with http://www.kevinlamphoto.com, if you're interested.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards