Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Invite questions / discussion

We're fast and furiously working on our invites (working with Paper Depot) and there are so many little details that I have questions on!  We are not having them be formal with an inner and outer envelope, in case that helps how you answer my below questions on how you feel about..
  • How did / are you putting on the guest names and addresses?  We will not be using a calligrapher so am considering handwriting or labels.  Martha says labels are not as personal and can be tacky, but are gaining more popularity.
  • How formal did / are you putting everyone's names?  Are you putting titles (Mr., Mrs., Ms.)?
  • How did / are you putting the return address?  It seems like this is more acceptable to have printed / labeled or stamped?
  • Anyone with reply postcards?  We like that its a little greener and will save money.  Any concerns with smeared ink?  I would assume I just need to ensure with the printer that this won't happen?
TIA!  This will be a HUGE check once these are printed, assembled and out!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invite questions / discussion

• Why is this not bulleting like I had it set-up to do and it previewed as?!  Cry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_invite-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:6c2c5c14-4aef-4057-ac55-d184ab79d4edPost:559dc40f-d411-41af-ba43-f7b728093827">Re: Invite questions / discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is this not bulleting like I had it set-up to do and it previewed as?!  
    Posted by sltommy[/QUOTE]
    Because TK's forums kinda suck, IT-wise.<div>
    </div><div>We had flat invitationsfrom VistaPrint with a postcard directions insert and a flat RSVP card with envelope.</div><div>
    </div><div>The return addresses were printed on the cards and I did the addressing by hand.  My handwriting isnt' anything to brag about but I just thought labels were too impersonal.</div><div>
    </div><div>I didn't do titles (Mr/Mrs etc) because my wedding is pretty casual and I feel the formality of the addressing conveys that.  I did write out address parts - i.e. Saint Paul instead of St Paul and Road instead of Rd. - with the exception of state addresses which have to be the two letter USPS abbreviations to get there properly.</div>
  • We printed everything on decorative labels I purchased at Paper Depot and didn't use Mr. Mrs. etc.  I have yet to receive a wedding invitation from a friend or family in the last 5 years that had handwritten labels...I just think it's a silly waste of time and wanted to focus my efforts elsewhere.

It's totally up to you and your social circle!  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2012
    Hand-write your envelopes! Even if you use a nice font, labels are still labels and are not appropriate for wedding invitations. If you really don't want to hand-write, then you could consider printing the addresses directly on the envelopes, but hand-writing is the most traditional and acceptable.

I did titles, but it sounds like your wedding might be less formal, so if you feel like it would be more comfortable to go without, I don't think that would be wrong.

We had our return address printed on the back flap of our envelopes for a small additional fee, which was absolutely worth it. You might want to consider investing in an address stamp, if you plan on staying at your current address for a while. Again, I don't think labels are appropriate for this.

We did reply cards with envelopes, but I love the idea of a postcard and would have totally done this if it was an option (I ordered mine online). Are you printing them with your home printer (ink jet)? Maybe it would be worth it to have them printed with a laser printer at a place like PostNet or FedEx Kinkos to make sure the printing doesn't smear?
    Anniversary
  • I did seal and send invites and they worked out great and we got many compliments! For addressing them we used labels and they were not formal at all. The printer printed our return address on the rsvp card. No ink smeared.
  • We are using printed labels to address our invites. Anyone offended by our choice is probably too uptight to enjoy the super awesome party i'm inviting them to anyway. Our printed labels might be less personal than hand written invites, but they are no less personal than invitations addressed by a hired caligrapher. BTW, I think hand written invite addresses are lovely kudos to those who can do them; I just don't think they are obligatory.
    127image 82image 45imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did pocketfolds and didn't do an inner envelope.  I stuck an extra decorative piece of paper on the front of the pocket fold that my Mom (who has awesome handwriting and did all the writing since my handwriting looks like a 3rd graders!) put the "casual" names on.  Outer envelope was formally addressed.

We did postcard replies.  Had no problem with them.

I used Postnet for our printing.  We had stardream paper and they are pretty much the only ones who will touch it in my experience. 

For return addresses, I ordered really nice labels from Vistaprint. If my Mom was going to write out all the envelopes and the pocketfold too, I figured it was the least I could do.
  • Thanks for all your comments / suggestions ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are not doing inner envelopes either. So we are addressing the envelopes like this:

Mr. and Mrs.  Bob and Jane Smith
    and Family (if applicable)

I think RSVP postcards are fine, thought my invite set didn't come with them.

We printed our addresses directly on to the invite and response card envelope with a script font, and for the return address on the invitation envelope I ordered a custom stamp from Etsy because it was just so darn cute and not much more expensive than ordering labels :)  This is the link to it:  clicky

268 Invited image 92 Attending image 21 Declined image Still Waiting 155 image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

http://megananderic.weebly.com/index.html
  • I plan to hand address all our invitations, I did it with the STDs so I figure I should do it for the invites too..  Also, FI doesn't want to spend the money to buy labels and print each individual address as that is very time consuming as well, and if you misplace the label the whole invite looks off.

As far as return address, we orderd labels that match our invites from Vistaprint, we also have a stamp if our labels run out :)

For RSVPs we are doing flat RSVPs in an envelope, we are going to print our address on all the RSVP envelopes as we don't see a problem with that..

I'm not sure if we are doing Mr. & Mrs. or just first names, we are still trying to figure that out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hand-addressed our invitations. Our wedding wasn't super formal, so we didn't use titles. I would encourage you to write specific names on all of them though, so it is crystal-clear who is invited. Unless you don't mind that cousin Jane might bring her mother-in-law to watch the kids since you added "and family".  You could write them out like this.

Jane & John Smith
    Billy, Johnny, Susie
    123 4th St.
    Anywhere, MN 55555
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards