Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!

First let me start off with - photography is very important to me. It is definitely in my top 3 on my importance list.

My issue is this: We're broke. We cannot afford a photographer for more than $400-$500 and we're struggling to find someone in this range.

I sent an email to the photography club at a university in my state, asking for a response from anyone looking to build their portfolio. I received one response so far. She has stated that she has done engagement pictures, couples pictures, and senior pictures. She has never done a wedding before, though. The shots are pretty traditional (straight shot, no angles). I definitely want some angled shots in there. I don't know what type of equipment she uses, either. I do know that she is having 2 days of training in Feb for wedding photography. I believe that is what she ultimately wants to get into.

My sister, Lauren, used to be a professional wedding photographer. Her work is amazing to me and she does the type of pictures I want. The reason she got out of it was because she get tired of dealing with bridezillas. She does still do them occasionally, though, if she has referrals. However, she uses her friend's equipment. Her friend will not loan her the equipment to fly out to my state to do the pictures. So if she needed to do our photos, she would have to use my mother's $300 digital camera.

Lauren is still taking pictures at our wedding. My parents keep asking my why I would pay money to hire a photographer when Lauren will be there. Three reasons: 1. I'm nervous about her only using a $300 digital camera, 2. I want MORE pictures, and 3. I want her to focus on the actual wedding, not making sure pictures are being taken. More info on 3: we have a small guest list; we only expect about 15 people present; and because it is so small, we are not having a wedding party. Do you think it would be a good idea to hire a student who wants experience, or should I just stick with Lauren? If so, what should be charged?

If we decided to go through with this, I will definitely require an engagement session to get a feel for her style more. I understand that this is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and that this should be the one thing I should definitely splurge on, but I know that with Lauren there, the pictures will definitely be taken. I just don't know how good of quality (as far as sharpness and what not). And again, I do not know yet what type equipment this young lady has.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!

• Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For $500 your sister could rent a fair amount of good camera gear for a day. I'm not convinced your sister really wants to be your wedding photographer, though. And hiring a student is a really bad idea. Weddings however small are not easy to photograph. I know you don't have many options with your budget but I'm afraid you would regret it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would look into hiring someone who has had at least some wedding experience. Maybe you could check out Craigslist for someone with lower prices? Sometimes there are people who have been second shooters but are looking to start their own business.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um...sorry for the long story. I didn't realize it was THAT long! I just felt I should give as much information as possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Craigslist.  Post a wanted ad for wedding photography, state your budget, and watch the responses roll in.  We did this for our reception and had over 20 photographers bid for our business.  The couple we ended up with charge $4000 per wedding, but since they were saving up for their own, were looking to pick up extra work even at a lower price. 

I would strongly suggest for you to reconsider having your sister shoot at all at the wedding.  If she wants to do so, and snaps a few shots here and there, that's fantastic.  But if I were your sister, I'd be heartbroken to be behind the lens instead of just celebrating with you.  I'd do anything for my little sister if she asked, but I'd really prefer to be a guest and not a vendor on that special day of hers.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_hire-student-sister-retired-prof-wedding-photographer-though?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:d1b3962d-6f4b-4ac9-93a1-5f022aa00408Post:a2b31d44-0e87-41f1-9201-bf826d814970">Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would look into hiring someone who has had at least some wedding experience. <strong>Maybe you could check out Craigslist for someone with lower prices? Sometimes there are people who have been second shooters but are looking to start their own business.
    </strong>Posted by Cony&Ben[/QUOTE]

I think in your situation, this is the best route.  I would not hire someone who has never shot a wedding and who only knows how to do posed shots.  Ultimately, I don't think you would be happy with the final product.  A person who is less experienced with weddings is still a better risk than someone who has never shot one.

Maybe have your sister guide you on people that respond to your inquiry.  And I agree with the PP--don't ask her to shoot the wedding.  Honestly, my advice would be to cut some $$ in other areas to put into your photography budget, especially if it's important to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

honestly, you wont find someone who has shot weddings before in that price range..if you do its because they are lying and actually never have...or they have but they sucked and it was once a long time ago. Decent wedding photography is going to be over 2000$. If its really one of your top 3 as you say, then anything less then this is going to leave you disappointed. Sorry. I wouldnt hire a student either, im all for giving students chances, but they are better as second photographers so A. they have someone giving them direction and B. The pro will make sure the most important photos are covered where the student might forget and/or take them but not have them turn out perfect. If your sister is willing, i would spend 400 on a new camera for her, and pay her another 100 and 'hire her'. Otherwise i would say fork out the cash and get someone credible.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can't hire the second photographer for the photographer you hire. The photographer you choose hires the second photographer. There's nothing to feel bad about in saying no to the student or that you haven't decided what route you will go with yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a meeting with a photographer this afternoon. He's charging me $650 for 200 4x6s, Disc with all the pictures, 3 hours, one photographer, my own copyright, viewable online, and free engagement session. He won't do any photo editing, though.

The thing about my sister - my mom and my sister keep asking me to use her. I keep telling them no because I want her to celebrate with me, and not be behind the lens. She doesn't want me wasting any money on a photographer either. I feel bad about telling her no, because I think she really wants to do it. She loves shooting weddings, she just hates the bridezillas, which is why she stopped.

I'm trying to find another job so that I have extra money for a professional photographer that does the type of pictures I want. I think that this way I'll guarantee the photos are taken the way I want, and I'll still give my sister the option of doing it.

I feel bad about telling the student no since she has already contacted me. If I decided to hire her as a second photographer/assistant, what should I offer to pay her?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if she has no wedding experience at  she shouldnt be paid, when my FI was starting out he didnt charge at for the first 2 weddings atall since it is building his portofilio and experience. Invite her to come but dont offer to pay.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_hire-student-sister-retired-prof-wedding-photographer-though?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:d1b3962d-6f4b-4ac9-93a1-5f022aa00408Post:5b1129d2-7129-4e64-a606-1b1446ba6d53">Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!</a>:
    [QUOTE]honestly, you wont find someone who has shot weddings before in that price range..if you do its because they are lying and actually never have...or they have but they sucked and it was once a long time ago. <strong>Decent wedding photography is going to be over 2000$.</strong> If its really one of your top 3 as you say, then anything less then this is going to leave you disappointed. Sorry. I wouldnt hire a student either, im all for giving students chances, but they are better as second photographers so A. they have someone giving them direction and B. The pro will make sure the most important photos are covered where the student might forget and/or take them but not have them turn out perfect. If your sister is willing, i would spend 400 on a new camera for her, and pay her another 100 and 'hire her'. Otherwise i would say fork out the cash and get someone credible.
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]
    I have to disagree with this. Okay, honestly, you're probably not going to find a really great photographer in the $400-$500 range. But you might be able to find a good photographer for around $1000. (This depends on the are you live in too.) There are several popular photographers in the Chicago area who charge $3000-$4000 for their services. But I remember them charging $1000 or less when they were starting out. Yes, I'm sure their work has gotten better over the years but in my opinion their work when they were just starting was much better than "decent" even though they weren't charge upwards of $2000.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_hire-student-sister-retired-prof-wedding-photographer-though?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:d1b3962d-6f4b-4ac9-93a1-5f022aa00408Post:7e00c87b-c20c-4226-860d-e6a7715b8aca">Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a meeting with a photographer this afternoon. He's charging me $650 for 200 4x6s, Disc with all the pictures, 3 hours, one photographer, my own copyright, viewable online, and free engagement session. He won't do any photo editing, though. The thing about my sister - my mom and my sister keep asking me to use her. I keep telling them no because I want her to celebrate with me, and not be behind the lens. She doesn't want me wasting any money on a photographer either. I feel bad about telling her no, because I think she really wants to do it. She loves shooting weddings, she just hates the bridezillas, which is why she stopped. I'm trying to find another job so that I have extra money for a professional photographer that does the type of pictures I want. I think that this way I'll guarantee the photos are taken the way I want, and I'll still give my sister the option of doing it. I feel bad about telling the student no since she has already contacted me.<strong> If I decided to hire her as a second photographer/assistant, what should I offer to pay her?</strong>
    Posted by sew0159[/QUOTE]
    You might not be able to hire her as a second photographer. Most photographers I spoke with had in their contracts that there could be no other paid photographers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_hire-student-sister-retired-prof-wedding-photographer-though?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:d1b3962d-6f4b-4ac9-93a1-5f022aa00408Post:d181b704-1836-4402-b70f-0d8de1981355">Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hire a student? Sister is a retired prof. wedding photographer, though! : You might not be able to hire her as a second photographer. Most photographers I spoke with had in their contracts that there could be no other paid photographers.
    Posted by Cony&Ben[/QUOTE]

I did not know that...thanks for telling me! I'll definitely make sure of that, then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could also save money by looking for someone who is willing to just give you the digital copies (and rights) of the pictures. When looking at photographer breakdowns, we found out some of them charge $100 for just the album - without any pictures in it! We're paying $800 for the photographer for the day, then she does all the touch ups, etc, and gives us the images to print ourselves (you can find sites online that do a better quality than your home printer would).

ETA: and we found her on craigslist, as well.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards