California-Orange County

Hiring your wedding photographer

Happy Tuesday, Ladies! 

I just saw this article on my photographer's website and it's got some good tips.  I thought some of you might find it helpful. 

Have a good day!

http://socalsunshineproductions.blogspot.com/2011/03/smart-tips-for-hiring-your-wedding.html

Re: Hiring your wedding photographer

• edited December 2011
    I think it would be a lot more relative and reliable if the blog wasn't written by a wedding photographer....
  • edited December 2011
    Sometimes the pros have great tips on what to look for since they know....instead of someone who is just coming up with it themselves.  Not sure who would know more about the photography industry....an photographer or an outsider. Sounded pretty spot on to me. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it has good ideas, but if you notice every answers caters to said photographer posting it; I think someone like a wedding planner that is in the world but outside of the photographer themselves would have better insight as they have seen it all...just my opinion
  • edited December 2011
    That could be true.  But I just read it again and I think it's pretty general and makes some good sense.  Maybe I'm biased because I'm using these guys, but I don't see anything wrong with any of these tips.  Personally, I'm glad they can answer all of them...just my opinion.  Which one(s) do you disagree with, femfatal86?  Since you're already married, you have a lot more experience with all of this! 
  • edited December 2011

A  lot of it does ring true, what I disagree with are the following:

The sample album; every wedding is different and I don't think a lot of couples undestand that every photo is not a 'home run', weddings are long and not every moment is exciting but it can still be well documented; I think seeing small samples is much more effective because it shows consistentcy

The editing part, not every photographer edits out small things like pimples, and I think that's ok if you are looking for a realistic style, seeing before/after edits it's really important the final product being what you want is

The whole blog issue; some photographers have one, some don't, some have a facebook, some don't...I don't think it's really relative,  a good working busy photographer may not have time to update a blog and as they have images on their website, google listing, yelps, whatever and a large sample album I feel like this is most off base; to meet it sounds like fluff for the studio putting together the ad.

I think the most important thing is, do you like your photographers work, do your like their personality, do they respond to you in a timely fashion, and can you afford them...Those are mentioned but I think those are the key elements.

• edited December 2011

Thanks for taking the time to answer, femfatal86.  This is the great thing about forums – everyone can express their opinion.  I don’t necessarily agree with everything you said, but everyone has different priorities.  For instance, I would never hire someone who could not do nice retouching.  Not necessarily pimples, but just skin smoothing and such. 

I also think it’s pretty important to see an actual full wedding album so you can get an idea of how they put together the story of the day.  Sample albums are great for seeing portfolio pictures, but they showcase the photographer’s “best of the best” in their eyes.  I wanted to see the whole enchilada.

And as for the blog, it’s not the most important thing to be sure, but it is a good way to compare photographers to decide who to meet with.

Anyhow, it’s interesting to hear different viewpoints.  Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards