California-Northern
Options

Too Tacky?

Hi! My name is Elizabeth and I am pretty new to the community. Finally after five years we are getting married. Like everyone, we are trying to be budget concious. So here is my question. The catering package that I am looking at offers a dessert course with theri sit down dinner but I really would like to have my OWN wedding cake. If you serve your wedding cake in lieu of dessert course they waive the $1 cake cutting fee. Is it too tacky or too much to just pay the cake cutting fee and ask the catering company to place the cake/cheesecake/mousse dessert option is special 'favor' boxes for my guests to take home? Any suggestions??

Re: Too Tacky?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I don't see a point to having a dessert AND wedding cake.  That's why I went with cake and no dessert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you willing to pay for the favor boxes to put the dessert in? I believe the hotel would charge for that, along with a labor fee.
    And I agree with puokgirl- one dessert should be enough to satisfy your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister's wedding site had a similar offer.  They also opted for the waiving of the cake cutting fee in lieu of the dessert.  Everyone basically assumed the cake was the dessert offering and no one seemed to expect or miss any other dessert options.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just did cake as well. Our favors were homemade truffles. That was as much dessert as we had. My sister had cake and a chocolate fountain. I've also seen cake and candy buffets.

I haven't really ever been to a wedding with cake AND other desserts like cheesecake etc. 

You have to know when to limit yourself. You have to think by the end of the evening, people are going to be full. After appetizers, dinner AND cake... thats usually way more than I normally eat anyways.

I can see maybe having a smaller cake and other options too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards