April 2013 Weddings

Song??

FMIL is insisting that she sing a song during the prelude before the ceremony starts. I don't want her to (mainly due to the fact that she goes all operalike and dramatic when she sings and I don't want that) but she's not giving me a choice... singing "is her life". So I am trying to think of a song that she can sing but I have no idea. She keeps giving me ideas and they are all old people songs that I don't like....any ideas? I was thinking of telling her that they only allow instrumental music so that she can't sing but I absolutely have to have "Marry Me" by Train played, so that rules out instrumental.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Song??

• edited January 2013
    Oh gosh... That is a pain. If you really don't want her to sing, have your FI talk to her and let her know it's just not the appropriate time, whether singing is her life or not. It's not her wedding- it is yours. I mean, unless she is paying then I guess she gets some say, but still... if you have no choice and have to let her sing, try and find a soft or peppy song for her to sing so she can't go opera like. If she ends up looking ridiculous by going overboard, no one will think anything of you guys though, only her. As for song ideas- I'm of no help though, I can't think of anything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This reminds me of that scene in the wedding planner. Oh dear. If she does sing, put her at the beginning prior to drinking. Maybe I'm yours by Jason mraz? It's fun and not too dramatic.
  • Sweet Jebus that sounds awful. I have no music suggestions. I'd find something short, if your having a religious ceremony maybe one verse of a hymn. Your wedding shouldn't be her stage. If opera-ish or showy is her style I think you are going to have a rough time getting her to do something you like.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am sorry, but reading this made me laugh! If she MUST sing, maybe she could do Ave Maria?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:79bfad27-c3cc-42d0-b706-0d7c6ff6996ePost:074db2ce-c212-4368-8ef5-6e116ffd130a">Re: Song??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh gosh... That is a pain. If you really don't want her to sing, have your FI talk to her and let her know it's just not the appropriate time, whether singing is her life or not. It's not her wedding- it is yours. I mean, unless she is paying then I guess she gets some say, but still... if you have no choice and have to let her sing, try and find a soft or peppy song for her to sing so she can't go opera like. If she ends up looking ridiculous by going overboard, no one will think anything of you guys though, only her. As for song ideas- I'm of no help though, I can't think of anything!
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

FI already gave her permission to! She sings at weddngs all the time (again,with all the crappy songs) so he said he couldn't not let her sing at ours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:79bfad27-c3cc-42d0-b706-0d7c6ff6996ePost:85f84b08-a67d-40e2-8a68-ec1e65c0d94a">Re: Song??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry, but reading this made me laugh! If she MUST sing, maybe she could do Ave Maria?
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about Ave Maria...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:79bfad27-c3cc-42d0-b706-0d7c6ff6996ePost:62b60d12-0c92-4a59-b308-9cf7e5091f99">Re: Song??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Song?? : I was thinking about Ave Maria...
    Posted by shanding4787[/QUOTE]

The way you described her singing, I feel like this would be a good fit for her, because no one would think twice about her being so overly into the song.
  • Ahhhh I just thought of a good one! We were choosing between "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton and "For Once in My Life" by Michael Buble for our first dance songs, and we chose the first. So I will have her sing "For Once in My Life" since it's short!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards