New York-Western

Buffalo Ceremony Site - Help!

I am in need of an indoor ceremony site around the Buffalo area. My fiance and I are from out of town, so we do not belong to a church in the area. However, I am open to a church that would be willing to marry two people who are not part of the church, hotels, and any other site. I am leaning towards the inexpensive side too.

HELP! :)

Re: Buffalo Ceremony Site - Help!

• L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What denomination are you? And do you want something downtown or out in the suburbs?
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat! I was interested in an outside space for the ceremony, but both my father and fiance want/need something inside, so I'm drawing a blank. He is not religious and I am a once-a-year attendee, so it would either need to be a very liberal church or a diferent kind of secular space.  I had thought we'd just do it where we're planning the reception to make things easier, but I didn't like how casually the ceremony at our prospective reception venue would be structured. 

I am trying to find a downtown site since that's where the reception will be.  I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I am Protestant and my finance is Catholic...soooo non denominational. We are having our reception out in Cheektowaga.
    Thanks for thinking of ideas for me!
  • edited December 2011
    You are so in the same spot as me! I have thought about renting out a room in a hotel, but I am wondering if it could be pricey just for the 1.5 hours we are there.
  • edited December 2011
    Exactly! I looked at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Elmwood, and it's $785 to rent it for the ceremony.  That seemed high to me, but is that just what I should expect?  The Botanical Gardens were extremely expensive to rent for the ceremony too because we will be expecting around 150 guests--I want to say starting around 900/1000? 
    I called Asbury Hall at Babeville and you can't do the ceremony there unless you book a reception as well.  This seems tricky, and it's harder because I'm planning from out of town.
  • edited December 2011
    It is funny that we have taken the same steps! My budget will not support a $500-$1000 for just the spot, and I called the same places as you! I am also from out of town, so I get you there!

I just called a few hotels and left messages to see what they charge for the time, so I will let you know what I find!

Hopefully, some other knotties out there can help us too!
  • edited December 2011
    I know you can get married at the Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum but not sure if it'll be above or on par with the prices you've already been quoted. It's very pretty and looks like it'll hold a lot of guests, plus it's relatively easy for you and your guests to hop on 190 to get to reception in Cheektowaga. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I checked out the Karpeles Manuscript Museum too--both locations--and they're both beautiful!  The problem is that it's $195 per hour (good, right?) BUT you need to book for a 3 hour minimum, jacking it up to about $600.  The other issue is that it's not air-conditioned, so when we checked it out it was very muggy inside (and also a bit musty smelling)--but it was a gorgeous space.  Thanks for the suggestion though!  There's got to be something we can find! :)

Other spaces I'm looking at are the Buffalo Naval Park (you can get married under a canopied section of one of the ships. Yes, it's technically outside, but covered, and the breeze from the water makes a big difference in temperature/humidity).  Their site says they charge $5/guest, so the price depends on how large your wedding will be.  It will be too expensive for us. I also left a message for someone there a week ago and haven't received a return phone call--it's not clear if they do just ceremonies or if you would need to have a reception there as well.

I called Shea's (they were booked the day I wanted--not sure about their pricing) and I left a message at the Frank Lloyd Wright Boathouse. 

Any great downtown places I'm missing? 

Good luck Amy (and thanks to anyone for more suggestions!) :)  I'll be curious if you get any good leads from the hotels you called.

• L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    They might be worth trying out:

http://www.michaelsbanquetswny.com/

Where in Cheektowaga is your reception?

As for downtown, there's the Mariott or Embassy Suites, but I'm not sure if they make you do the reception there as well.

I can think of many outdoor locations, but indoors is kind of hard if you're not getting married in a church or having the ceremony and reception in one place.

amyannalora: when my parents got married my mom was a Catholic and my dad was Free Methodist. They got married at Assumption Church, and what they did was have a Catholic priest and a Methodist minister both perform the ceremony. You could check into doing that if you'd like it to be religious.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    This place is gorgeous. Only thing is, it's in Williamsville/Clarence, and the best ceremony locations are outside:

http://www.samuelsgrandemanor.com/weddings.html

This is in North Tonawanda, but it looks nice:

http://www.thechapelvandervoort.com/prosite/
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • 32daisies32daisies member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Theodore Roosevelt inaugural site? Do they do weddings? it's very nice there, and I know there's a lovely large upstairs room, but their site doesn't say if it can be rented.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• edited December 2011
    Samuel's

Kloc's

Arrowhead

The botanical gardens

The manuscript museum

• edited December 2011
    Banchetti's 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board