Catholic Weddings

Veil Symbolism

While talking to a lady at my church this past Sunday, I indicated that I had not planned to wear a veil until my godmother informed me that our parish requires brides to cover their heads (and prefer faces covered with a blusher) as a nuptial symbol. So, I purchased an ivory cathedral length mantilla veil.  This lady informs me that she thinks it's optional.  So, what are you doing?

Re: Veil Symbolism

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Up until Vatican II, all women had to have their heads covered in church. Originally I wanted a blusher, but I'm wearing my mom's veil and the blusher wasn't long enough for me to place the veil where I wanted it on my head. :-(
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I really want the classic "father lifts veil, kisses bride on cheek to give her away"
    I'm the last one in my family to get married, so he only gets to do this one more time. I'm the youngest out of 3 girls.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got a waltz-length, one-tier veil and will wear it up near the crown of my head. No blusher, I wasn't really interested in that.
  • baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't going to wear a veil at all, but I changed my mind when I saw it with the dress.  FI had originally asked me not to wear a blusher; he felt it was "awkward".  I didn't have my heart set on it, so I didn't mind it.  Although I love the look of a drop veil.   Mine is waltz-length, and I'm wearing it underneath my updo.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• edited December 2011
    I agree with mcdol3, that is why I want a blusher veil. I guess I am just Daddy's little princess and it has always been in my dreams that way for my Dad to flip back my veil so my husband can kiss me.
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a mantilla veil - no blusher.  I always pictured myself in a veil with a blusher, but for some reason, i fell in love with a mantilla veil at the shop where i purchased my gown.
  • myownasylummyownasylum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to do a birdcage veil! I never wanted to do any kind of veil but  then I fell in love with the birdcage style head pieces!!
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You couldn't have paid me to skip the blusher!  :-)  I kept it over my face for the entire ceremony - it felt so beautiful, classic and elegant. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  Does anyone know if there is Catholic symbolism with the veil?
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please bear with me as I give several definitions, but they all have to do with this:

The word veil is used to refer to the chasm/wall that lies between us and God that we put in by original sin. Christ, at the moment of death, tore the veil to allow us access to God the Father. At mass, at the Eucharist, the veil between
    time/space/heaven/earth is lifted/torn and we are transported back to calvary to participate at the sacrifice. When the body and blood are completely seperated (CHrist's blood is poored and turns into water as there is none left on the cross), there is death. When the body and blood come together again, when the priest consumes both, we have the resurrection, giving the Church new life.

A veil in general (apart from the wedding) is a traditional way of marking something holy and cherished..set apart. Most tabernacles have a veil either over them or inside them. This is the significance of women covering their heads in general, because women are the pinnacle of creation and should be cherished as such.

The "bridal party" are actually sacramental witnesses. They are there to offer a mantle of protection for the bride and groom because evil despises a Christian family and will attack at those times. The bridesmaids used to wear veils as well so that demons wouldnt' know who the bride was, they were the "Decoy".

The veil's significance is also one that reminds us earthly marriage is an icon pointing us to the trinity.  There is no wall between the father and son, their union is so close that it creates a 3rd. THe veil is lifted from a bride so that she and her husband can unite to create a 3rd and give their love a name.
  • edited December 2011
    I cover my hair every sunday, and will be wearing a cathedral length veil with blusher at my wedding.
  • edited December 2011

accidental double post

• edited December 2011
    @agapecarrie, thank you so very much for posting this explanation.  It was so clear and I appreciate the time and effort you put forth.  This brings new meaning for me and I am so glad I (now) to wear a veil.  I'm wondering if the priest could somehow incorporate a brief explanation in the ceremony, especially since many of our guests are non-Catholics.
  • kttestkttest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I liked the idea of the blusher, but when I tried one on, it really bothered me, I felt disoriented, so no blusher for me!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_veil-symbolism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:88920e56-d049-4484-ab14-7b6b619e9e31Post:f28620d0-4b5a-4db5-a9a6-b3c66604946f">Re: Veil Symbolism</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with mcdol3 , that is why I want a blusher veil. I guess I am just Daddy's little princess and it has always been in my dreams that way for my Dad to flip back my veil so my husband can kiss me.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

Thinking about that part of the wedding ceremony always makes me tear up. :)

@agrapecarrie - Thank you for the explaination. I never knew that part, and now am very happy I am going to have a blusher and veil.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm wearing an elbow length veil without a blusher.  I wouldn't have been comfortable covering my face.  

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards