Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Am I looking for venues too soon?

Just got engaged 2 weeks ago and I think I'm ovewhelming my fiance by looking at venues already! Planning a next July wedding. Did you guys take your fiance to all the venues with you? Thinking I need to only take him to my top favs!

Re: Am I looking for venues too soon?

• Options
    edited April 2010

My FI always goes to visit venues with me because I think it's important for him to ask questions and give his opinions because it's his wedding too. We're getting married next July and started looking at venues earlier this month. We've been engaged since last August so we had time to enjoy being engaged before planning, so I think that's why he's not overwhelmed now. Congrats on the engagement!

****EDIT*****
    I meant to say you're not looking too early because you will need to find a venue soon. I didn't mean to avoid the original question. Sorry!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No you're definitely not looking too soon, FI and I got engaged in February of 2009 and immediately booked our venue for June 2010 because they book QUICK! You guys are definitely on the right path, and while you're at it start looking into photography as well which also books far in advance.
  • Options
    We got engaged October and started looking at venues in January. We have already booked a venue for July 2011. It's never too soon to start looking. Also.. you know your FI best. Mine came to all of the venues with me, but you could just show him your favorites.
  • Options
    I don't think you are either. I started looking in Feb for June 2011.. When I called places 2 of them had already been booked for the day I wanted. I just took my boyfriend to the hotel I really liked and booked it then.

You may want to dial it down a little bit for him if he's freaking out a little and let hin adjust more. Introduce him to things one at a time.
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mt FI and I got engaged 2 weeks ago too.  My mother and best friend are so excited and my FI is so busy with school and work.  What we are doing...I  am looking at a bunch of places with my mom and MOH and when I narrow it down to places I think my FI and I would like, I will take a second look and take him.  I want him to be involved, but not overwhelmed, and lets face it...we girls have been planning our weddings since we were 5!

PS - Going to look at my first venue in 2 days!
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • Options
    Not at all!!  The best venues/churches book so early!  I got engeaged March 20th and only waited a few days before starting to research venues.  I was all over Boston seeing them in person withing two weeks of getting engaged.  We want the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, 2011, so even though thats almost a year and a half away its such a popular weekend that we are getting a jump.  Thankfully, all of our favorites have our date available still!  Its just never too early to book your favorite place for you top pick of date!

And no way my FI would agree to go to the amount of places I want to see.  He'll follow up with my favs!
  • Options
    I started looking in June 2009 for my wedding this June.  They really do book quick.  One thing to keep in mind though... be sure to have at least a rough idea of how big your guest list is going to be.  My venue's pricing scales partly according to guest count.  Also, a lot of places have capacity restrictions due to fire codes.  You don't want to book a place that can only hold 150, only to find out later that you have about 200 you would like to invite.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This was a great question & I'm really feeling better looking at the responses because I was having the same question!  We JUST got engaged less than a week ago & trust me, I'm so excited & loving loving loving it, but am looking at venues because I fear Spring/Summer 2011 is booking quick if not already & that's when we really want to get married!  Thanks for asking the question & the answers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards