Illinois-Chicago

Wedding Insurance

Did anyone buy wedding insurance? It is obviously an extra expense but if something were to happen I suppose it could really end up saving you money or providing you the ability to recreate your wedding.. Any thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Insurance

• edited December 2011
    I didn't, but kinda wish I did!
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard horror stories about photographers running away with your money, bad caterers etc. Would it protect against these sorts of things?
    How long this Princess has to wait... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, from what I understand it protects you if any of your vendors go out of business, fail on their end of the contract, if your reception or church goes down in flames, they will provide you $$ to have it somewhere else or repay you for your what you're losing out on. It also can cover events like if a key member of the bridal party (like father of groom, sister of groom, maid of honor, etc) is ill or cannot make it for a reason, they will pay to recreate the event when that person is able to attend and pay for the key people to come if they are out of state, etc. I am sure there are restrictions as there are on any insurance policy, but since my wedding is 18 months away, a vendor could easily go out of business.

Curious if anyone else has bought it and how it worked...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have it for our Oct wedding. Thankfully nothing has gone wrong yet so I can't say how it is yet.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011

Do all insurance companies provide this? Any ideas?

• edited December 2011
    I don't think all of them do but I am not sure how many do. Just from my small amount of research I know Firemans Fund provides it and I know Travelers provides it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry if some knotties have already heard this story from me.  I bought wedding insurance from Wed Safe (underwritten by Aon). 

Our wedding was a piecemeal wedding with many independent vendors and it was during the winter.  I think we spent no more than $300 to provide coverage of $35,000 - less than 1% of the total cost of our wedding to buy peace of mind.

We found out almost randomly that our rehearsal dinner restaurant had gone out of business - the phone left a message saying that it was permanently closed as well as the website.  We had put down a $250 deposit and was unable to recover it from the proprietors of the restaurant.

I called Wed Safe, filed a claim and sent them the back up documentation - screenshot of closed website, phone number, etc and within 7 days I got a check minus my $50 deductable for $200. 

In our case, insurance did save us some money and I still had coverage if anything else went wrong.  If you can afford it, I would recommend buying it - it's such a small amount relative to the overall cost of the wedding, especially if your wedding is over $30 grand.  If your wedding is more modest, then it might not be worth it.  Just my two cents.
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your story Golfer, makes a lot of sense!

Here is a webiste I found if anyone is interested....through Travelers. You can see what it covers and an average cost.

http://www.protectmywedding.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm considering it myself, but I know its recommended if your wedding is over $30,000
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Worthwhile, just for the peace of mind alone then.

How long this Princess has to wait... Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards