Indiana
Options

mother of the bride

so my fiance and i are helping to pay for the wedding. we are actually going to [ay for half if not more. well my mother is making me feel like i have to pick cheap things. I showed her a qoute from a photographer for 1500 and she anted me to ask my friend who is a photographer to do it instead. my aunt is making the floral arrangements which is great cause she is amazing our cake is free and my dress was relatively cheap. i made the comment of wanting a photo booth there and she is like we need to talk. and then there is the guest list. they have family friends that they want to come however the husband makes me feel uncomfortable. he gives me the creeps and ive explained this to her numerous times. i just dont know what to do cause we arent getting married til sept and i am worried that the decision making is going to get harder and she wont listen to what i want even though it is my wedding any advice

Re: mother of the bride

• Options
    edited December 2011

Whenever money is involved so are opinions.  Luckily my H and I paid for our whole wedding, so I got to use whoever and whatever I wanted.

I would try and categorize what you mom is paying for and what you guys are paying for.  If your budget includes the photographer and you have enough to spend $1500 on the one you want then she shouldn't have anything to do with that.

Does that make sense?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Chrissy is right.  I struggled with this when I first started planning my wedding. Things have gotten a little easier for the time being since most of the expensive parts are settled and contracts are signed.  I would definitely divide out who is paying for what. That will help you know where you need to compromise and where you don't have to because it is your money.

Another thing I would do is prioritize everything. The things that are most important to you should be things you pay for. It will give you more say.  My fiance and I are paying for our photographer because pictures are important to us. Those images will be in our family forever.  I want them to be great - not just ok.

Definitely take a night or two to sleep on things before you make a big decision. It will help you feel more confident before the decision is made.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards