New York-New York City

Costs for Catering NYC Wedding for 180ppl??

Hi There,
I just got engaged a couple of weeks ago and am already feelig the stress of planning a wedding. We've seen a couple of venues that require outside caterers so I'm wondering if anyone out there could maybe give me a ballpark figure of what it might cost for the whole nine yards - big cocktail hour, sit down dinner, open bar, etc. One of the venues we really like already includes tables and chairs, but the caterer would need to provide the glasses, china, flatware and table linens. I'm just beginning the search but my head is spinning already. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Re: Costs for Catering NYC Wedding for 180ppl??

• edited December 2011
    hi congrats on your engagement, im having mine at the south shore country club in staten island coctail hour venetian hour open bar 5 course sit down it came to roughly 25,000 for 150 ppl with tax and gratuity .. hope it helps
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing all of the above, but with food stations instead of a sitdown dinner and it was not easy, but we were able to stay around $150 pp. It was not easy though, many caterers laughed in my face and said call back when I could spend at least $200pp. jerks!

We're also renting everything (including tables and chairs, in our case) and our rentals are about 4-5K. That is included in the $150pp above.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Check out this place:

It's beautiful.  The food is amazing and the price is really good.  We're paying under $100, but not having a full open bar only beer and wine.  The full open bar will bring the price up a little bit.  
  • fdnyfiremanfdnyfireman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out www.caterit.com
    talk to chris, he is awesome and at a great price. he can also handle rentals.  he's affiliated with Bruno's on the Boulevard in Queens, one of those huge multi-room reception halls and they now have this off-premise division of their catering.

we just had our tasting last week. food was delicious and AWESOME customer service!

• edited December 2011
    choose the venue that you like, but keep in mind hiring your own caterer and handling the rentals yourself doesn't necessarily save money over a place that has their inhouse catering. i looked at several venues of both types and did very thorough calculations for all of them. they were all within $1500 of each other, but the rentals would have caused me lots more hassle and agita.
  • sarahhayden01sarahhayden01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I searched and searched and opted for a place in Brooklyn, www.princessmanor.com, the full nine yards at a really good price
  • edited December 2011
    such a ridiculously vague question...so many variables...

I've seen costs from 75pp including venue fee, up to 2,000pp.......

A little more detail perhaps?  
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement. I recently began searching venues & caterers & the ball park is $150 pp. If you use an outside caterer they usually will supply the items that would be necessary had you opt for in-house caterers. First you should talk with to see if they can serve food that you actually like and not the standard 2 entrees, tea/coffee, etc etc. Secondly, some venues offer a range of caterers that will work with any palette. Thirdly, if you have you wedding during off season November - March they venues are more likely to negotiate prices. Lastly, I was told, NEVER TELL THEM ITS FOR A WEDDING! They increase the prices by 20-30%, tell them its a party.

P.S.

Also you should create your A & B guest list & make sure the people you are inviting are TRULY important in both of your lives since you are paying for them to eat like Royalty! :-)
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
  • edited December 2011
    I also looked at princess manor. The prices are very affordable. Did you have a chance to view the place or taste the food?

Thanks
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you go a bit outside of the boros? My bestie is doing her's in LI and she is paying about $70pp and that's with all the tax and gratuity etc. It saved her a pretty penny. I am just a bit amazed at how much wedding costs! I am more than half tempted to just elope!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards