Illinois-Chicago
Options

HELP: how do i change my name??!

How do i change my name now that I'm married as of 5/30? I'm not sure where to start, because, to complicate things:
1. My wallet got stolen so I have no Driver's License right now. I do have my US Passport in my maiden name, and already received marriage certificate copies.
2. I plan to drop my middle name and make my maiden last name my new middle name. I will be taking my husbands new last name. No hyphens, only 3 names in the end.

This makes me think I need to start at the social security office to make the legal name change first? (I'm in no hurry to get my license back).

I just don't want to then go to the DMV to learn they can only issue one in my maiden name as that would be pointless.

I figure then after getting my name legally changed, and a new license, then I can change everything else (bank statements/ work benefits, etc)?

Thanks for ANY pointers!
:)

Re: HELP: how do i change my name??!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I still have to do that too....actually I think I'll get the certificate today.  Haha.  I have this former post in my bio figuring it'd be useful to have for later:  http://beautifulnryan515.weebly.com/random-advice.html
  • Options
    HMandKWHMandKW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    beautifulryan, that's awesome!  I was wondering the same thing.  Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol, I just finished the process an hour ago! Start with Social Security. You'll need some form of official photo ID, so I assume your passport would be sufficient. I waited for 45 minutes at the downtown office and the actual appointment was less than 10 minutes.

The DMV was quick and easy - the whole ordeal was less than 30 minutes total. Cost me $15 to replace license and state ID and had to have a new picture taken. 

Next is the passport, but I'm not in a huge rush for that since I have no international travel plans. I'm sure you already know this, but your license/state id must match the name on your passport for you to get on the plane.    
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what Lauren said. You can actually just go to the DMV with your marriage certificate too. I went to all in the same day, you don't actually get your SS card for about 2 weeks, so when I went to the DMV they just looked at the Marriage Cert. SS takes the longest, took me about 45 min too. The DMV was super fast, like 20 min or so.
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards