Texas-Austin

Vendor Reviews

I wanted to get these up ASAP since I know how much I relied on everyone else's vendor reviews to plan my wedding.  If you have any questions email me chloetutor at gmail dot com since I'm not really on the knot very often anymore.  I'm also about to post oodles of stuff I'm selling on the forsale post.  

For the record, I've worked in the service industry for years, so I'm very honest about what people should/shouldn't have taken care of.  I'm not one of those "A++++++ brides." :)

Photographer:  Nessa K: A
Nessa was my more affordable version of Christina Carroll.  She's been great about letting me have any negatives I need to avoid paying out the boohiney in print costs.  She's really nice, and was fairly prompt to answer any emails.  My only con was that I wish she had taken a little more initiative in getting some of those classic wedding shots.  Any thing I suggested though, she jumped on.  I haven't seen my wedding photos yet, but the bridals turned out pretty great.  Does some great work with natural lighting and photoshop, and is for sure not one of those cheesey over saturated photographers.  She's getting more popular, so her fees are going up.

Engagement Photographer:  Brandy Lewis: C
I went with Brandy to save a little money on our engagement photos.  She normally does beautiful baby photos, so we were one of her 1st engagement shoots.  She was even open with working with our dog during the shoot.  She receives a low grade bc she uses SmugMug for her ordering process, and will not under any circumstance let you download the negatives unless you pay $50+ for each.  For the record, she told me that they would be uploaded to a low cost printing company.  False.  They charge $15 for a 4x6.  The cost was so high we had to abandon our original plan to do a photo book sign in.  She claims this is because her work would be tainted by lesser printing companies.  Puhleeze.

Catering:  Circle C Catering:  A
Great food.  Easy communication.  Great with last minute changes.  Didn't have a single problem with them.  Not a bad price either.  They own the cafe at the Wildflower Center, so if you're getting married there, I would highly recommend using them.  I think they do other places now, too.

Catering:  Southern's Fine Dining: F
This was our original caterer.  His food is great and his price was cheap.  Then as we began to work through the contract phase, he was slow to respond and kept claiming he was "more of a handshake kind of guy than a contract kind of guy."  Well, that's fine and dandy unless you're talking about my $7000 that I work for every day.  He would forget every single thing I would discuss with him during meetings or emails and would send back the same old contract with no changes.  Over and over he did this.  Like 20 times with not even getting the guest count down.  What a waste of time.  I finally called it quits.  He's rude and harsh.  While he may be a great cook, his business skills are very much lacking.

Venue:  LBJ Wildflower Center:  B
This place is beautiful.  So many guests commented on how pretty it is.  That being said they are in the Wildflower business, not the wedding business.  They don't cater to weddings and are open to the public during the day.  Definitely hire a day of coordinator if you get married here to organize everything.  Still thrilled we got married here.  The limestone and gardens fit our Hill Country vibe perfectly.

Day of Coordinator:  Buon Affare Events: A
I love Rachel.  She was by far the most affordable, and she offered discounts on top of her contract for single payments in check.  She checked in with me during the wedding process even though she was really just hired for the day of.  She's so sweet, and I was amazed how quickly she got every thing set up.  Very organized.  Very respectful.

Florist:  Glass Fountain:  B
You get what you pay for.  She's cheap, and provided exactly what was asked of her.  I wasn't too thrilled with my flowers, but then again she never promised to be a world renowned florist.  I should have vocalized more, I just really thought she got it.  You won't get any blog worthy arrangements out of her, but if flowers aren't your concern then she may be a good option.

Rentals:  Mancino Iron Works:  A
Easy to work with.  Went out of his way to have more of a certain stand made when I needed it.  Very flexible.

Photobooth:  Hill Country Photo Booth:  B
The booth they delivered wasn't the booth they show at the Wedding Show.  It was a little more of a loose construction.  Didn't look terrible, just not the classic photobooth you may think of.  They printed in color when I specifically asked for black and white in the contract.  Realized this half way through the wedding, but it was too late to change.  My guests LOOOVED the photobooth.  Kids were all over it.  Middle aged couples, too.  The oldies didn't quite get it, but the pictures we got back are hilarious.  Plus they discounted their fee like $300 when I told them it was what I was willing to pay.

Officiant:  Michael Boles:  B
He performed a short charming service, and he was cheap.  He arrived about 10 minutes before the ceremony, which had me freaking out that he may not show.  (Rachel, the coordinator, tried to avoid me knowing this, but my dumb fiance decided to tell me.  :)  She's certified to perform a ceremony, so she had a great backup plan!)  He kept calling my husband by my ex boyfriend's name, but thank to Rachel reminding him multiple times he got it right for the ceremony.  Nice guy.  No regrets.

Dress:  Signature Bridal:  A
They were super easy to work with.  Cleaned my dress after the bridals with no complaints.  Always remembered me when I came in.  Offered me an extended trunk show discount on my dress.  Had their in house alterations do my bustle since the price wasn't bad.

Bridesmaids Dresses:  Bella Bridesmaid in Dallas: B
These dresses are super expensive, but my bridesmaids chose them and they were very cute.  Most girls did have to get alterations on them, which I was disappointed on.  Nothing huge went wrong, just not sure if they were worth the cost.

My brain has died, and I can't remember anyone else.  If you think of a vendor I forgot please let me know.  The wedding flew by, and I now realize how dumb all the little things I busted my butt on were.  I barely remember most of the wedding.  I honestly recommend a destination wedding, but I never would have realized that without going through it myself.  Any questions on price, etc. please let me know!  Best of luck ladies!

Re: Vendor Reviews

• edited December 2011
    Oh yeah!  Forgot these

Cakes:  Nothing Bundt Cakes: A
    Not your traditional cakes, but they tasted amazing and were so much more affordable.  Everyone went on and on about how yummy they were.

Invites:  Target:  A
    I went oh so cheap on these by printing my own invites on Target's invitation kits.  Downloaded a designer font to fit my whimsical vibe I wanted.  Got lots of compliments on them, too.  And who the heck really cares about them?  Cost me like $60 with ink and buying the sets.

Save the Dates:  MagnentStreet: A
    So cute!  I spent a little more on these since people tend to keep them on their fridge.  Customized them to our colors and put an engagement photo on them.  So pretty and not at all cheesy looking.
  • edited December 2011
    I love your reviews!! I agree with you though, if I could do this all over again, I would have taken my FI and ran away instead of having a traditional wedding. Our big day is just four months away . . . kinda scary. We're doing cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes too. They were by far the best cake at the wedding extravaganza I went to in January. Sounds like a good time was had by all! Congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Southren's Fine Dining, and he tells you upfront that he lacks computer skills. I think an F is harsh, considering that you did not even use his services. I would understand if he had completely ruined your wedding food, but he did not.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-austin_vendor-reviews-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:126Discussion:29c1f7bb-952d-49e2-835d-222d0b15f8c9Post:120405bb-d09f-43f1-a0dd-f32609827923">Re: Vendor Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am using Southren's Fine Dining, and he tells you upfront that he lacks computer skills. I think an F is harsh, considering that you did not even use his services. I would understand if he had completely ruined your wedding food, but he did not.
    Posted by BabyBlueNTexas[/QUOTE]

If the OP thought he was bad enough that she didn't want to use his services, I would say an F is a very accurate grade. His business practices failed to get her business. It's also good for other brides to know the issues with this vendor, as it would certainly be much worse to go with a vendor as important as the caterer, only to have them fail on the wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I don't disagree with her when she puts how she feels-- but I think giving a F (for failure) would only be right to someone who made a promise and did not deliver. I think it more a lack of communication than anything else. There are 2 sides to every story, and where most caterers are firm in putting a deposit, Steve is not. He has extra allowances that other catering companies might not offer, to help save the couple money. So-- in order to get amazing food, and money saving deals-- you have to comprimise on some other things, I guess. I have never had any issues with his business skills, but sounds like this bride did. I think F's should only be reserved for messing up a wedding, and not lack of patience with the provider.

***Just another side bit, I don't think what she wrote is in violation of this, but it is important to remember what reviews are for-- as taken from the Knot Rules-- which it is my job to enforce--
    Please keep in mind that The Knot Message Boards are not to be used for posting complaints and defamatory comments about vendors. All defamatory posts are subject to removal at The Knot's sole discretion. We are concerned that you be treated fairly and that other brides are warned of any bad apples in this business.You have the option of contacting the vendor directly, or if an official complaint is appropriate, you may contact the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org.
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone used The Grande Hall at Hofmann Ranch or the Riven River Ranch, for your wedding?  I considering both locations, for a destiation hill country wedding.  Also, does anyone know a good wedding planner in the area?  Thank you for your help in keeping me sane!
  • edited December 2011
    I'll send you a PM Grace
  • edited December 2011
    We also used MagnetStreet.  Loved them!  And it was so easy.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been on here in a while, but I remember you from when I was here planning. Congrats on your marriage!

Your reviews will be helpful for those planning. I think it's nice when brides aren't afraid to give a poor grade. I was inititally hesitant to really speak my mind because I was afraid a vendor would see and I hate confrontation (I thought this was a silly fear until I actually got an email from a vendor questioning me about my review!).
  • edited December 2011
    Need help!

I have been in contact with Southern Fine Dining for my Oct 2011 wedding. 

I have noticed his lack of computer skills, but then again I may be lacking in them as well.

I really need some advice on a caterer.  So far, I have menus from Austin Catering and Southern's Fine Dining. 

I am looking for "southern comfort food" for approx 80 ppl. 
    Oct 15 is just around the corner! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards