Catholic Weddings

Music (NWR)

Hi, I've lurked for a little while, and I notice that quite a few of you are affiliated with the music at your parishes. I attend a Chapel on an Air Force Base and because I play the piano, I've pretty much been pushed into the position of music director (the one we had suddenly left). I have absolutely NO experience playing for church, and I am still a pretty newish Catholic. Do any of you ladies have suggestions of books I can get that give suggestions for picking hymns and just tips in general? Right now, our priest is TDY, so I will be having a meeting with him when he returns, and until then I have two teenage girls who have volunteered to sing with me as I play. Any suggestions/advice/prayers would be greatly appreciated.
Anniversary

Re: Music (NWR)

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I've had to pick music, I've found the National Association of Pastoral Musicians Planning Calendar extremely useful:
    http://www.npm.org/Planning/index.html

Of course, I also reflect on the weekly readings (you can find the calendar on the USCCB website if you don't have a missal http://usccb.org/). In my church, I also found that the priests really appreciated it when I asked them what the upcoming Sunday's homily would be about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What Ringpop said.  I've never been in the position of music director - I just play piano and sing for masses, so I've never had to pick music (except for my own wedding).  But yes, the music should always reflect the readings, so that's at least the place where you should start!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! Those websites look like great resources. I think our actual priest will be pretty hands on with music, which I will appreciate. Right now we just have a retired priest driving up to base and filling in until he gets back. 
    Anniversary
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See what song books are being used, and that pubisher (very likely OCP, but there are others) give out song suggestions each week that will be in their song books.
  • edited December 2011
    We have a liturgical committee, including the priest, the organist, and as many of the cantors as can attend. We meet every other month to choose the hymns.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards