Illinois-Chicago

Reception Hall Help: Camelot in Hickory Hills or Niko's in Bridgeview

My fiance and I are planning our wedding from out of town.  Our family has been helping us plan and looking for deals on a reception hall.  However, we can't seem to find consistent reviews on either.  Anyone care to chime in? 

Thanks,
   Jenn & Dan

Re: Reception Hall Help: Camelot in Hickory Hills or Niko's in Bridgeview

• edited December 2011
    I don't know much about Camelots, but I drive past Nikos frequently and if you care about how the place looks, it looks pretty run down. However, my friend (who is on a tight budget) chose the place recently because of the price and really likes the people who run the place so far. But that's all I got.
  • edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding at the Camelot a couple of years ago...food wasn't too memorable. The outside wasn't the best to look at, but the inside is pretty nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Camelot is pretty basic & bare boned, not much to it.

Niko's hasn't been updated in decades. They mainly host dinner & shows (Elvis impersonator type shows) and such. It was a gorgeous place back in the day, but doesn't look much different from that. 
  • edited December 2011
    Both the places you mentioned are kinda old, a bit run down and food is blah. Camalots is bland, Nikos looks like a 1960s steakhouse and very dark..really not worth the money even at a bargain. Hickory Hills Country Club is right up the street from  Camelot and MUCH nicer but in a similiar dollar type..views are the lawns etc, foo was good.

congrats and good luck :)

http://www.hickoryhillscntryclub.com/

• edited December 2011
    My parents went to a work party at Nikos awhile back and had nothing interesting to say about it. They didn't say anything bad but it was definitely not very nice. And the exterior of the building is very rundown.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    I agree there are many more options in the area that would be better choices. If you let us know what you'd like to stick around per plate, I'm sure we can come up with several suggestions. :)
  • jnowatskijnowatski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are tring to stay Under $50 a plate and we are having a winter wedding.  We viewed both places recently, We like the people at Camelot, the country club down the street the people we met with were very off putting to us, and Nikko's offered us the most for our money.  We did attended a Mother's Day brunch there last year,  and I completely get the out dated looked, however the banquet hall was in the process of being renovated.  We just don't know much about with either site and couldn't find anything decent through a google search.  We do welcome any other suggestions you may have to offer.
           Thank you,
                    Jenn and Dan
  • edited December 2011
    Did you take a look at Belvedere Chateau? www.belvederechateau.com

They have some beautiful rooms and very affordable - excellent food, too. They renovated about 5 years ago in the big ballroom and more recently in the smaller rooms. They're just west of Roberts Road on 103rd Street in Palos.
  • jnowatskijnowatski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That was our original plan, we went to a wedding there as well. I am also dealing with my brother and two of my cousins all getting married about 4 months a part from October 2011 through October 2012.  I am stubborn and don't want a repeat venue.  I do appreciate all the imput.  We are still looking!
  • edited December 2011
    You should try Chateau Bu'Sche in Alsip, just down the road.  They are very much in your price range and the facility is gorgeous.
  • edited December 2011

I have 2 weddings in the next 6 months to go to and both are at Camelot.

• whineylafineywhineylafiney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my 9-10-11 reception at Niko's. Yes, I agree it is outdated. However, my family is greek, and we have had many baptisms, and showers at Niko's and the food is always great! Niko's gave  us pretty much everything that we wanted, and everything is so reasonable. This allowed more in our budget for chair covers, elaborate centerpieces, draping, and uplighting. I think most reception halls are kind of gaudy. Once the lights are dimmed, and you have created your own ambiance, I think it will look great.

Cake is included, and bar is top shelf. We also asked them to go to a brunch so we could taste different menu items. They comp'd 6 family members to go to their sunday brunch. The cake book they show you is hideous, but it's through the bakery Domino's. Once you go to the bakery and do an actual tasting, they will show you other options. I think that up front, what Niko's has to offer is very basic. Once you start asking them what they offer, the deals get better. We upgraded from their tortellini appetizer buffet to a butler style with meatballs, chicken satay, tomato mozzarella kabobs, spanakopita. It was only $3/person. We also added a champage toast for $1/person. And unlike other halls, the wine service during dinner is unlimited.

I agree with some of the reviews, but it's your choice. To us, good food and good music were our priorities.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards