Jewish Weddings
Options

Questions about a Chuppah

I am soon to be married in June and living in a state where you can't just go and buy one. The ones that I like would take too long and too close to time to order and get it set up. Does anyone have any creative suggestions on how to build one or what I can do?

Brocha

Re: Questions about a Chuppah

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to Google "DIY chuppah."  There are lots of ways to do it:

• • Mine (picture below and instructions at this link) was built on the frame of a portable popup gazebo.  We live in DC and got married in Massachusetts.  Our chuppah could be folded up and easily transported, and was also easy to set up once we got there.
    • • This one relies on putting each of the four poles into PVC pipe set into a flowerpot partly filled with concrete for stability.
    • • This one is based on using a lattice for the ceiling, which stabilizes the whole structure so as to make support for the bottoms of the poles unnecessary.
    • • This one has a wooden frame at the top, held up by lattices at each of the corners.
    • • This one is based on birch poles put into umbrella stands.
    • • This one is not free-standing, and would need to be held by four people during the ceremony.  However, it uses bungee cords to attach the four corners of a tallit to the four poles, so that the fabric of the tallit won't get torn if the pole-carriers aren't perfectly in sync.

Hope this helps!

(Click on the photo to see a larger version.)
  • Options
    RachieTKRachieTK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about using a tallis that is special to you? Get 4 wooden closet rods, spraypaint them white, wrap in wedding-color ribbons, and top with the tallis.  Our florist made ours, but that was pretty much it with some flower garland on the poles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some good ideas here:
    http://www.jewishweddingnetwork.com/chuppah-photos-and-ideas

Where in AR are you getting married? You might be able to borrow one from a nearby congregations. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have seen so many Diy Chuppah's we are making ours also.

idea 1
    our friend had these awesome pillars that looked like white frosted glass and inside there were alternating lights in there wedding colors, it looked so rad at night, and on top they had some plain white fabric that had alternating colored lights hitting it.  so chic and modern and so unique and so them

idea 2
    this is ours we are buying 4x4 posts and our florist is covering them in hydrangeas with lill pearl lights and butterflies we are using an iridescent fabric on top and my htb and i will write our own personal vowels on the edges to each other.

your chuppah is a representation of your future home have it really showcase your styles
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in Vilonia, Ar. We have a reform and Chabad in Little Rock, Ar. I may I have to give them a call.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards