Hawaii
Options

Royal Kona (or Royal Lahaina)

Anyone have opinions on the Royal Kona resort on Hawaii or its sister property the Royal Lahaina on Maui?  I got some very positive feedback from their wedding department and it appears I might be able to get everything I want there (except an indoor chapel wedding - but my primary goal was no wedding on the beach and they do have a lagoon area with a gazebo...) for very little over the minimum I wanted to spend - I could do it all for under $5000...
Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: Royal Kona (or Royal Lahaina)

• Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married at the Royal Lahaina Resort next June! So far, it has been awesome to work with the wedding planners! They are very responsive and easy to talk with! I got a wedding package with everything I wanted, and it was not a bad price at all! HTH!
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've stayed at the Royal Kona Resort.  My room was looking out over that actual lagoon with the gazebo.  It's a beautiful little spot, and a nice lagoon...but it is kinda small.  Depending on your party size, and if you care how close the neighboring condos are (they're right in view on the other side)...it's really pretty.  You'd have to see it though, it those two were a concern. 
  • Options
    jmteterjmteter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses!!  Small probably wouldn't be an issue - I don't anticipate more than 20 guests attending and we'll probably only have one attendant each (no more than 2) but I definitely don't know how close I want the other resort guests to be so thanks for the heads-up on that.  I'm still toying around with the idea of a church/chapel wedding (the traditionalist in me) so that might help when it really comes time to decide...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we stayed @ the royal lahaina last yr for our vacation it was the best vacation ever......and we actually got engaged there too :-) were getting married @ the royal lahaina in sep 2010. its so beautiful and so calm there. theres plenty of space and you have the beautiful kaanapali beach. to me you can get any better than this location.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am staying there but marrying on Kapalua Beach. I will tell you that my travel agent and wedding coordinator suggested that The Royal Lahaina is a fabulous hotel for quality at a reasonable price for the island of Maui. They did advise me though that staying in the Tower rooms at the Lahaina is the way to go. They apparently have beachfront villas that aren't updated. The Tower of the hotel was updated in 2008 and is modern with hawaiian charm. I see alot of the same recommendations from people on Trip Advisor as well.  Just thought I would pass that along for you and your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if the OP is still reading this, but I recently came back from a short stay at the Royal Kona Resort. That's why I came here to check reviews. I loved the hotel. I had good service and I saw the amentities were beautiful for a simple, Hawaiian style wedding. I was very impressed with the service I got there as well as the grounds. I actually just emailed for pricing information so we could have 50 guests.
  • Options
    jmteterjmteter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ashley - I am still keeping an eye on the post so it's great to hear your positive feedback.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by their prices - at least I was - especially compared to the rates at some of the other resorts I had checked into both on the Big Island as well as Oahu and Maui.  I have been communicating with Cathy Wang via e-mail and have been very impressed with her promptness and her knowledge.
    When is your wedding going to be?  My parents are coming to visit this week and we are nailing down an "official" date - at least I hope we are!  It'll be sometime in January 2011.  I know that's coming up REALLY soon but since we don't anticipate having more than 20 people (most of whom I'm already chatting with about when & where - so they're already making mental plans!) I think we can pull it off on short notice.
    Good luck planning - and thanks again for sharing your experience...  Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jmeteter! Glad I wasn't talking to myself LOL. If you received any information yet from Royal Kona for anything, could you please email me it??? I haven't heard back yet.

I think the hotel is great if you don't expect it to really be on the same level of I dunno, the Ritz or 4 Seasons.

We have been engaged, but haven't set a date yet. We have so many ideas. As much as I would like a wedding in Austin, the time of year we can do it is pretty much just the summer and we would want an outdoor wedding so there goes Austin. We both grew up in Los Angeles, and most of our friends and family are there. LA weddings are insanely expensive. We both love Hawaii and figured on going there as a honeymoon anyway. We could have it in the summer, invite everyone we want, and hope at max. 50 go (pretty sure it would just be family and close friends who go due to the airfare). We really just wanted a small wedding to begin with and something that won't break out budget. Like you, I found the rates reasonable at The Royal Kona. They also seem to be okay with vendors you want that they don't have on their list except for the catering of course. What I like about having an outdoor ceremony and reception there is that you really don't need to spend a ton of decor which I would have done if I had an indoor wedding since I am very into centerpieces, linens, and details like that. If we had it completely outside there, we would do more of the "less is more" kind of thing. Would go more or less with a white, beige, and maybe gold theme. Nothing too beachy, but maybe add some tiki touches :)

For flowers, probably just have my favorite flower which is pretty cheap in Hawaii- the plumeria, loosely sprinkled on the table. No money spent on floral for the ceremony except for my bouquet (not doing leis) and maybe one of those things where they string flowers on thread as a backdrop if it's not too pricy.

I think the main reason I like the idea of having a destination wedding now is that my VERY Type A Personailty would go insane with planning my day down to the T if I was doing it at home and had easy access to all my vendors LOL. The huge plus is also that we can have it in the summer which is the easiest and best time for our schedule.

We want to see if the RKR can cut some $$$ out if we have our wedding during the week or even just add extra stuff if we do it say on a Thursday.
  • Options
    jmteterjmteter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that they offer any discounts for "off days" during the week but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pricing they have to offer.  Send me an e-mail so I have your e-mail address (mine is jmteter@bellsouth.net) and I'll forward you the stuff that Cathy sent to me.  It's just their basic price lists, etc. so it should have all the info you need in it to at least give you a good idea what's going on until you can get a specific quote from them...
  • Options
    jmteterjmteter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried to send you the info in a PM on here.  Please let me know if you didn't get it and send me your e-mail address so I can forward it to you there instead if this didn't work...
    Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards