Jewish Weddings
Options

Under the Chuppah

I am wondering who is traditionally supposed to stand under the chuppah with the rabbi, bride, and groom.I would like my brother to join us instead of a maid of honor, along with our best man. Any thoughts?

Re: Under the Chuppah

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Parents and maybe grandparents. I guess siblings could be under there too.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on how big the chuppah is and what you want.  You can do anything from just the two of you, to your families and bridal party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are just having us and the cantor that is officiating.  We don't have a bridal party, but our brothers will be holding the chuppah polls.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it was just us and the rabbi under the chuppah.  our parents and siblings were up there too, but stood just outside the chuppah. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on having us, the Cantor, and our parents under the chuppah.  The maid of honor and best man will stand just outside of it (they're not Jewish, anyway, so they wouldn't be allowed to stand under it) and the rest of the bridal party will sit in the front row.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our two brothers and my Fiances daugher (she is 10). Our parents will sit in the first row as it will be hard for my Mom to stand for so long.
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It  is generally not all that big...especially if you are using a tallit (sp?).
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you asking about who stands up with you or who is literally under the chuppah? For my first wedding, standing up was us, officiants (maid of honor and best man), both sets of parents, bridesmaids, and groomsmen. I just looked at our pics and it looks like we and the officiants were under the chuppah and I think our parents were right outside -- not necessarily a conscious decision, just a function of how big the chuppah was. Bridesmaids and groomsmen were in back of the parents.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_under-chuppah-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:3e799c48-4542-4996-aab0-d9efc71318d6Post:e60bfbd0-49de-43bf-8c82-0d359e62caf1">Re: Under the Chuppah</a>:
    [QUOTE]...we and the officiants were under the chuppah and I think our parents were right outside -- not necessarily a conscious decision, just a function of how big the chuppah was. Bridesmaids and groomsmen were in back of the parents.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

This is how it was for us as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Besides my H and I.... it was our rabbi, cantor, H's parents and my father and sister. (my mother is no longer living)
  • Options
    chavanolachavanola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was us, the rabbi--and whoever was saying the bracha or signing the ketubah (we're Sephardi).  It's just not that big.  A lot of people have their parents under/standing right next to the chuppah as well.  I've never seen a bridal party under chuppah, but your brother being under it instead of a MOH is totally fine.
  • Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was us, two rabbis, a cantor, two grandmothers, two moms and two dads.

The bridal party was on the steps leading up to it.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards