Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

A few dance songs to please "the olds" on my playlist?

We're going to iPod-DJ our wedding.  Most of our guests will be in their 30s, kind of "alternative," and will want to hear disco, new wave, rock, punk, and metal, and I definitely know what these people are going to like (and it's what we like!).  But there will be the parents, some aunts and uncles, and a few older relatives - maybe 10-15% of the crowd. 

Does anyone know of any decent dance songs from the '40s, '50s, '60s that appeal to both the youngs and the olds and - and here's the catch -- are NOT the same damn tired songs that you've heard played at 1,000 weddings?  I swear, if I hear "Shout," "Brown Eyed Girl," "Build Me Up Buttercup," or literally anything by James Brown one more time in my life, it will be one time too many.

Re: A few dance songs to please "the olds" on my playlist?

• What about 60s girl groups?

The Crystals, The Marvelettes, The Ronettes, The Shangri-las? 

What about some Beach Boys?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is Sweet Caroline on your never-want-to-hear-it-again list? Other James Taylor songs might be good, too, if you aren't sick of them. And as crazy as it sounds, you might listen to some Rod Stewart or Neil Diamond best-of songs and see if you could stand any of them, although maybe they are more sing-along rather than dance-along. Elton John, maybe? (These are more 70s and 80s, but still, I think the appeal is broad if you can stand them.) The song my friends and I in high school always swore we would NEVER let be played at our weddings: Old Time Rock and Roll. There's always Chubby Checker. You can't go wrong with original Motown artists, although not all of them are "dancy". Elvis?
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    I wouldn't go back into the 40's and 50's unless you have a large group of elderly folks.  I'm 52 and I could seriously be a happy woman to never hear "Shout" at another wedding.  I just picture "Animal House" which is a movie I really enjoyed at the time, but that is what I'm thinking of when I hear that song.

Sinatra, bon Jovi, Tony Bennett, Faith Hill, Norah Jones, Brian Adams, Mariah Carey, Sugarland, Queen, Boston, Tom Petty, Garth Brooks, Rascal Flatts, Huey Lewis and the News, B-52's all have songs that go well at weddings.  Of course, being a girl of the 70's, I'm a big Fleetwood Mac/Boston/Eagles/Clapton/James Taylor/Rod Stewart kind of girl.

How old is your "older" crowd here?

• And I forgot to mention The Beatles!!
  • Great suggestions, thanks!  To answer your questions -- the people I'm most concerned about having nothing to dance to are in their mid-60s - this is the generation of our parents, aunts, uncles, and some family friends.  I figure that anyone under 60 should be happy with stuff from the '70s-today, like kmmssg suggested, so I will make sure there's plenty of that.  And kmmssg, you're also right that I shouldn't be going back to the '40s for those folks - they were barely born then.

I'm going to hit up some Motown/girl group compilations and the Beatles for inspiration.  Thanks all!
  • Good luck.  Motown rocks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards