North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham

Outdoor wedding in August - too hot?

I am getting married at the beginning of August... I love the Highgrove in Fuquay, but just don't know if it will be too hot during the ceremony.  The ceremony would be outdoors and then the reception in the air conditioned tent.  I am not sure yet how much (if any) of the seating is in the shade.

Anyone have any thoughts or good/bad experiences?

Re: Outdoor wedding in August - too hot?

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this would depend greatly on the time of day and the length of your ceremony.  You can google for average August temperatures, they're around 86 degrees for that time of year.

I am a North Carolina native and I would personally not be pleased to attend an outdoor wedding in August, maybe if it was at dusk or dawn it wouldn't be so stifling hot.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married August 7th in Raleigh at high noon and it gets HOT. Try not to drag out the ceremony it really shouldn't be more than 20 minutes anotehr 15 minutes for photos outside and people stopping you along the way. If you're requesting formal wear then everyone will need AC afterwards and water.

You planning on wearing a traditional gown and formal wear?
  • edited December 2011
    My sister got married in 2006 at Highgrove on Sept 9...and it was still REALLY hot, even in my BM dress...can't imagine what it will be like in a wedding gown  None of the the seating is in the shade, so tell people to dress lightly!  We spent much of the time after the wedding while waiting to take pictures standing over the air conditioning vents inside.  That's why when we were picking our date, anything from June to Sept was ruled out!!  We're both hot bodied people and summer in NC can be ridiculous! :)   What time of day are you getting married?  That might make a big difference in temp.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-raleighdurham_outdoor-wedding-august-hot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:606Discussion:c6a258af-c751-4b37-b86a-98e8648e33b3Post:4f98490a-5e88-464a-80a3-b5ba3b53d4bb">Re: Outdoor wedding in August - too hot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister got married in 2006 at Highgrove on Sept 9...and it was still REALLY hot, even in my BM dress...can't imagine what it will be like in a wedding gown  None of the the seating is in the shade, <strong>so tell people to dress lightly!</strong>  We spent much of the time after the wedding while waiting to take pictures standing over the air conditioning vents inside.  That's why when we were picking our date, anything from June to Sept was ruled out!!  We're both hot bodied people and summer in NC can be ridiculous! :)   What time of day are you getting married?  That might make a big difference in temp.
    Posted by rebeccalynn410[/QUOTE]

There's no polite way to tell your wedding guests how to dress.  You can mention that your ceremony/reception is outdoors (Please join us for a garden ceremony...etc.) but that's about it.
  • edited December 2011
    Well yeah, I was thinking more word of mouth, not necessarily putting it on the invitations....
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-raleighdurham_outdoor-wedding-august-hot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:606Discussion:c6a258af-c751-4b37-b86a-98e8648e33b3Post:279f9307-7464-4bdb-900c-769370a830df">Re: Outdoor wedding in August - too hot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well yeah, I was thinking more word of mouth, not necessarily putting it on the invitations....
    Posted by rebeccalynn410[/QUOTE]

And that's totally different.  I read it as putting it in writing in the invites somewhere, which isn't polite.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-raleighdurham_outdoor-wedding-august-hot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:606Discussion:c6a258af-c751-4b37-b86a-98e8648e33b3Post:464be883-8bbc-4a6a-8d04-e53408a1db96">Re: Outdoor wedding in August - too hot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor wedding in August - too hot? : And that's totally different.  I read it as putting it in writing in the invites somewhere, which isn't polite.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Yup, you can never tell tone of voice from writing! :)  I probably should have said "let them know"..... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards