Students
Options

Medical Assisting?

Hey Knotties!
I am looking to start a medical assisting program next month. My ultimate goal is to become a Physicians Assistant, but right now I am really looking forward to becoming a Medical Assistant. My FI and I planned it out quite well. The program begins in June, so I will graduate next March. So that gives us about 16 months to plan our July 2013 wedding.

I am trying to gather all the information I can, before I start, so I have an idea of what I am getting into. And since I'm here all of the time anyways, I figured why not hit up TK. Laughing 

I am just curious... Is there anyone currently in a Medical Assisting program? Or are you a Medical Assistant? What is it like? Any thoughts/ feelings/ etc you could share?

T.I.A.

Girls is stripper heels, boys rolling in Maseratis,
all they need in this world is some love.

Re: Medical Assisting?

• Options
    hey i been medical assisting or 6 years!! its good! only complaint i have is the salary!!! we do everything nurses do... except bring home the big $$ ... im actually going back this fall to take a class and start teaching medical assisting! if you want any info deff let me know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    not to talk you out of becoming an MA, but if you don't have your bachelor's yet, and you know you want to continue for your masters, why not consider nursing for now, rather than a certificate program - it sounds like you're just prolonging the schooling....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_medical-assisting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:7cafd20e-1221-4d61-80c4-201d2ef9e5ebPost:36da99ce-54a6-4535-9c17-f8119ef3aa8c">Re: Medical Assisting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]not to talk you out of becoming an MA, but if you don't have your bachelor's yet, and you know you want to continue for your masters, why not consider nursing for now, rather than a certificate program - it sounds like you're just prolonging the schooling....
    Posted by SteveandKris[/QUOTE]

I ditto that! I actually am starting back again in August for my RN. I took 2 semesters off and feel I'm ready to go back. I am actually just waiting to get into the program since their is about a year waiting list. I'm just excited I'm finally done with my prereqs. I figure while I wait... why not get my AA. But I do agree... you should skip the MA program and just start at a community college.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I agree..just go for nursing! I am getting my Master's in Nursing now to be a nurse practitioner..only 2 more clinicals left!! yaya

Also..I highly doubt you do everything a nurse can do LIL...maybe in the office setting but taking vitals and drawing blood isn't exactly tough..
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_medical-assisting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:7cafd20e-1221-4d61-80c4-201d2ef9e5ebPost:eff38200-d38b-48ec-b445-25a69c5cdd87">Re: Medical Assisting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Medical Assisting? :<strong> I ditto that!</strong> I actually am starting back again in August for my RN. I took 2 semesters off and feel I'm ready to go back. I am actually just waiting to get into the program since their is about a year waiting list. I'm just excited I'm finally done with my prereqs. I figure while I wait... why not get my AA. But I do agree... you should skip the MA program and just start at a community college.
    Posted by halij52002[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I was worried I was being too harsh...  I don't want to put down becoming an MA - they are awesome people, but you'll have many more opportunities with an AA (and just a year more, if you could go FT)  - you could do a BSN completion program online - with a masters in your future, why take a year and do something that doesn't really count towards that.

I am aware that you need clinical time for PA school, but you'll get that nursing...

Also, depending on your state laws, as a nurse, you might be able to function almost like a paramedic (a pre-hospital RN) -

if you're thinking MA-ing will help you pull in extra cash.  (I've seen most MAs in offices (read - daytime), that's not great for taking additional classes)
  • Options
    No, you're not being too harsh. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want everyones opinions. So I thank you for your input.
    @halij52002 the wait list is what I am afraid of. The big nursing school around here is the University of Washington, I imagine that has a massive waiting list.
    I saw that my local CC has a "Pre-Nursing" AA/ transfer program - I can check with the advisors there and see what a plan would look like going that route. 

Girls is stripper heels, boys rolling in Maseratis,
    all they need in this world is some love.
  • Options
    I am finishing up my MA cert right now. I want to me an ARNP. Im doing something similar though. Where im at in Florida the MA program is one year, as is the LPN program.. so 2 years. the same time it takes to get your AA. Ill get 2 pay increases before i even start my RN classes.To start the RN classes here you either need your AA, or an LPN licence. Than from my RN i can go for my masters.
    I should have just started right into my LPN, but i didnt figure everything out in time.. and like you said the RN list is long to get in. This way im granted a spot right away.

I had started going for my AA, and hated all the history, advanced science, and trig math classes lol. With the transition to RN program here i only have to take English 1 and college Algebra. So in reality its the same amount of time, im just in wayyy more medical classes than the original RN program. I am able to do all of mine at the community college in town, and than my masters at the local university that has a small campus where i live.

Talk to the advisors and see what works best for you and your area.
    Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards