Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Dinner Blessing

Looking for a nice blessing for my step-father to say before  we eat at our reception. I dont want anything too "religous"...any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Re: Dinner Blessing

• Options
    Do you want something scripted and already written? It might be nice for him to make it up himself. 
  • Options
    My dad's favorite is:
    "Good Bread, Good Meat, Good Lord, Let's Eat!"

I think that is secular enough, and much classier than "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    "thank you for coming and sharing in this joyous occasion and allowing us to enjoy this dinner together AMEN"
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I've been on the lookout for secular dinner blessings as well.  I don't mind the mention of God, but I don't want it Christian.  Anyway, I just did a little google search for you, and came up with this.  It's a bit long-winded, but could be tweaked and shortened easily. 

"As we come together to share this meal, let us first remember how it came to us and be thankful to the people who made it possible.

This food was born from the bounty of the Earth, in warm sunlight, rich earth, and cool rain.
    May it nourish us, in body and mind, and provide us with the things that are good for living.
    We are grateful to those who cultivated it, those who harvested it, those who brought it to us, and those who prepared it.
    May its consumption bring about the pleasures of friendship, love, and good company.

And as we partake of this food in each other's company,
    as what was once separate from all of us becomes part of each of us,
    may we also remember what we have in common and what brings us all together.

May this sharing of food foster peace and understanding among us,
    may it bring us to the recognition that we depend on each other for all the good we can ever hope to receive,
    and that all the good we can hope to accomplish rests in helping others in turn.

May it remind us that as we reach out to others to brighten their lives,
    so are our lives brightened in turn. "

this thing reads like a novel, though.  Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to look for religious blessing and just change the wording.  Wherever it says "We thank God for" just say in general "we are thankful for...".  You get the idea. 

Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards