August 2012 Weddings

Share your engagment stories!

I know we've done a poll to get to know each other.
but I thought it would be fun to share your engagement story:

When did you get engaged?
How long were you dating before he popped the question?
How did he do it?!
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: Share your engagment stories!

• November 14, 2010 is when we got engaged and been dating 2 years, November 2, 2008.

I was sick all week with just a little cold and was planning on relaxing all day and do nothing. He came over later in the evening with a single rose in his hand and on the stem of the rose was ring, which I totally missed, I just saw the rose and thought he was sweet to bring it for me since I was sick all week, he stood there and kept looking down at the stem before I realized that the ring was there! It def. made me feel  better and was a complete surprise that he did it on that day! I was sure he was going to ask me that coming Saturday, which I came to find out was his plan, but he took my dad to dinner that night to ask for his permission and was too excited to wait, stopped home to grab the ring and to tell his family that he  couldn't wait and was going to do it right now!

That would be a night I'll never forget! And will always love to tell!
    Can't wait to marry my best friend!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats on your recent engagement!
    I guess since I asked the question I should share my own:

Engaged: June 5, 2010
    Dating since: April 12th, 2008

June 4th was my best friend (and now MOH's) wedding at this oceanfront old hotel/mansion..it also had an Inn so we stayed the night. The wedding was awesome, but my bf at the time was getting kind of drunk and kept lurking off in the corner with my two friends (they are also engaged)... and laughing and stuff....esp. when my friend caught the bouquet and her new bf gave her a funny look and she threw it to me---so I was standing there holding it!

Anyway, we stayed at the inn and had brunch the next day with everyone. He kept insisting the next day we go to the beach (we were in Newport, RI) and that we had to go to the beach-- which is weird,because he doesn't love the beach. well when we woke up in the morning it was pouring and thunder and lightening... it was a horrible storm.. he looked so disappointed.

I started getting ready for the brunch- which I knew was under a tent, but on a deck so it would be wet... he asked if he should wear flip flops or sneakers and I said "sneakers, you'll slide all over the wet deck in flip flops"... When I said sneakers I sealed my fate.

He kept saying " there's a rock in my sneaker- there's a rock in my shoe" over and over, but I was standing there putting on makeup getting ready-- I said "just dump it out what's the problem"... finally he goes "can you help me!!" I turned around and literally tripped over him, he was down on his knee with a "ROCK" from his sneaker-- he was hiding the ring there and when i told him to wear the sneakers he freaked out and didn't want me to see the ring...I don't remember what he said next because i was crying

the original idea he had was to go on the beach and collect a bunch of rocks and shells as we walked and then slip the ring and there and ask me to hold them-and propose on the beach...

it was really cute- but the best part was -- we got to have brunch with all our friends who were also at the hotel for the wedding! it was awesome! we also ended up having a beautiful day..about an hour later the rain stopped and it was beautiful out so we still go to walk on the beach and have lunch by the water.
    oh, and turns out those two friends of ours that he was giggling with were the Only ones that knew that he was going to propose...they had gone with him to pikck up the ring at the jewelers...
  • we have been dating since April 2006 :]] seems so long ago!
    and he proposed on October 20th 2010.

The Story <3

On Wednesday October 20th FI and I went out to a friends college for a double date.  We decided to carpool from her house.  When we left my friend said she had to pick something up on campus for a project ...before dinner. As we got onto campus her boyfriend suggested that we should stop and see the fountains and waterfalls at the Arboretum they have there. So, we decided to stop and check it out. As we walked into the area I heard a little waterfall and noticed pumpkins lit up around it. I even said "hey guys, looks there are lit up pumpkins!!", because I was clueless!

As we got closer I noticed there were 10 little pumpkins each carved out to spell "Marry Me?" with some little hearts. They were all lit up and, it all seems so surreal!  When I turned around my now FI got on one knee and proposed with a beautiful ring!
    And of course, I said YES!!! <33

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awe Very cute!! Love the pumpkins!
    Can't wait to marry my best friend!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • OMG!! the pumpkins that is the cutest thing ever.
    and how great was it you had someone there to take photos-- so lucky!
  • Thanks you guys! and yes he coordinated everything with my best friend so that it was a total surprise and she could be there to capture the moment! Turned out so perfectly!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got engaged on August 14t, 2010.  We were dating just under 3 years when we got engaged.

I started law school the week after we got engaged.  I'd been bugging FI to take a romantic weekend away before law school started.  So we decided at the last minute to go to Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  We'd been talking about getting engaged for a while, so I suspected he might propose that weekend.  On our second night there, FI took me on a sailboat ride around the harbor.  He told the captain and crew that he was going to propose on the boat, so they sat the two of us up near the captain.

I'm a real Chatty Cathy, so I was chatting it up with the captain, talking about sailing and seasonal Maine economy.  Finally, the cruise was almost over and I still hadn't shut up.  So, the captain went below deck to shut me up and give us some alone time.  Suddenly, FI looked all serious and started telling me he loved me...and I laughed.  Not kidding.  He's like, "Why are you laughing?"  And I said, "Well you look so serious."  He said, "Well I am serious."  I replied, "Well, you look it."  Then I shut up and looked out at the water.  The sun was setting.

FI then said, "I love you.  You make me really happy.  And you've made me happy every day since the day I met you.  I know the next three years are going to be really tough because of law school, but we can get through it together.  We can get through anything together, and it will all be worth it in the end.  So I wanted to know if you would marry me."  At the end, he got down on one knee and pulled out my gorgeous ring.  I cried like a baby.  After 30 seconds of my crying he asked if that meant yes.  And I said yes.  Then everyone on the boat cheered and took us out for drinks.
  • We got engaged on August 8th, 2010
    We have been together since July 15th, 2006
    We went on vacation to Port Austin, MI over his birthday weekend. We had spent 2 days at the beach just hanging out and relaxing. On the 3rd day, we went to lunch and then he said he wants to walk down the beach one last time before we leave. We were walking along when he suddenly became VERY serious. All of a sudden I became very aware of eveyone around us. As he dropped to one knee to propose, I grabbed his hand and yanked him back up shouting "No! There is too many people around!!". (yes, ruining the moment LOL!) Thankfully he just laughed at me, moved me further down the beach to a more private area, looked at me and asked "Is this better?" and winked. I just nodded and started crying. He asked me to marry him and I just said yes this time. LOL LOL LOL
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_share-engagment-stories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:db86b922-c76a-4347-8980-015633e4f2b1Post:dc2f1a88-2b2e-4ea1-a55d-2f1098bd410b">Re: Share your engagment stories!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got engaged on August 8th, 2010 We have been together since July 15th, 2006 We went on vacation to Port Austin, MI over his birthday weekend. We had spent 2 days at the beach just hanging out and relaxing. On the 3rd day, we went to lunch and then he said he wants to walk down the beach one last time before we leave. We were walking along when he suddenly became VERY serious. All of a sudden I became very aware of eveyone around us. As he dropped to one knee to propose, I grabbed his hand and yanked him back up shouting "No! There is too many people around!!". (yes, ruining the moment LOL!) Thankfully he just laughed at me, moved me further down the beach to a more private area, looked at me and asked "Is this better?" and winked. I just nodded and started crying. He asked me to marry him and I just said yes this time. LOL LOL LOL
    Posted by sasha213sw[/QUOTE]

I think its so funny. almost every girl that gets engaged after says "he was being really serious,...." "he lkept acting so serious".... its like they get into serious mode-and if you knew what they were up to it would all make snese.

so if someone isnt engaged i guess having their bf get all serious at one point might mean hes about to pop the question
  • jacquiroxxjacquiroxx member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2010
    When did you get engaged? Yesterday!  Dec. 23rd
    How long were you dating before he popped the question? A little more than 5 years- since Dec. 4, 2005 (5 years, 2 weeks, and 5 days according to my ticker)

How did he do it?

We went to New York for the day, which is pretty much where our relationship started back in my first year of college.  He took me to Central Park, where he "owed" me a carriage ride (since we didn't get to do that on our first date).  On the ride, he popped the question.  The tour guide interrupted him, and it was funny, but the whole thing was super romantic and I was kind of in shock.

So yes, that's how it happened.

On the carriage, obviously :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards