South Asian Weddings
Options

Questions for Venue Vendor

Hi guys,

So finally I am at a point to seriuosly start looking at venues for the wedding.  I have been emailing places to find out their costs.  And I am hoping that FI and I can make a decision about the venue before he has to leave for work again.  I know some of the common stuff, but are there things to ask regarding an Indian wedding?  Were there things that you realized should have been asked earlier.  Whatever hlep you can provide, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hina

Re: Questions for Venue Vendor

• Options
    mimosa1977mimosa1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PM'ed you
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PM'ed you back.  Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most of the venues, if not all of them, that we met with were very familiar with Indian weddings and what that means for them. A few things that I didn't realize was that one of the venues would require a fire marshall to be present during the ceremony due to having an open flame. That would have added about $600 to the cost since that was how much it cost to have him onsite (it was a local regulation.) but once I heard that, I made sure to ask others.

In a similiar vein, if you want candles during your reception, either as centerpieces, etc. make sure the venue will allow that. Open flames like taper candles aren't allowed at many venues, but if they are in vases, etc. then they are OK.

If you're going to have a baraat, ask about whether music can also be played indoors as some hotels (if you're going with a hotel as a venue) won't allow the music to be played in common areas.

I'd ask about catering if you want to use your own and whether they would have access to the equipment that is at the hotel already.

I am sure there are a few more, but that's all I can think of for now...
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Raangoli, all helpful things to find out about. 
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Here, a lot of venues are really strict on catering.  They may require that if you use your own caterer they show them certain certifications (insurance, liquor license, etc.), you may have to pay an "outside caterer" fee, and some places just don't let you or restrict your choices.

Another thing is that many venues have pretty strict schedules for when you have to be done.  I don't really know how to handle this, but I would say if they have an early end time they might not be a good choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards