Getting in Shape
Options

Healthy recipe round-up!

I'm feeling inspired to cook this evening and would love to see YOUR favorite healthy recipe(s). Here's one of the best WW ones I've ever made:

Shrimp Vindaloo
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cans chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 tsp. salt

Heat oil in large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, lemon juice, curry powder, cumin and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Cook about 5 more minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque in the center, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the salt and serve.
 Makes 6 servings (1 cup each). 4 points per serving. Note: Serve on top of 1/2 cup brown rice for 3 additional points.
Anniversary

Re: Healthy recipe round-up!

• Options
    Here's my all-time favorite salmon recipe, adapted from the Seasons52 one.  I don't even like mustard but this is so delicious that I make it at least once a week.

Baked Salmon
    Ingredients:
    fresh salmon filets (6 to 8 ounces per piece, boneless, skinless)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
    2 teaspoons malt vinegar
    1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 lemon, zest and juice 
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (plus some for planks)

Directions:
    Dump all ingredients in a gallon size ziploc and mix well.  Marinate in fridge for an hour.
    Place fish filets on large piece of tinfoil and fold edges of foil up.  Close foil over top, in a tent form, with room between fish and top (like a teepee for the fish!)
    Cook on 475 for 15-20 minutes.  Cook time will depend on size of filets.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Stuffed Peppers, Mexican Style!

4 Green bell peppers, sliced length wise
    1 lb. ground lean turkey breast
    1 Package Taco Seasoning Mix
    1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice (Instant)
    2 8oz. Cans of Tomato Sauce
    1/2 Sweet Onion Chopped
    Jalapeno Slices - as many as you want!
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    Salt and Pepper to Taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
    2. Cook instant rice according to directions on the package
    3. Brown turkey breast in pan (about 8-10 mins)
    4. Add taco seasoning (according to instructions on package) to turkey.
    5. Add Rice, 1 can of tomato sauce, Chili powder, garlic salt, onion, and jalapeno's to pan with the turkey. Let simmer for about 5 mins.
    6. Spoon Mixture into bell pepper halves and pour the remaining can of tomato sauce on top
    7. Bake for 25-30 mins*

*You can add a small amount of shredded cheese on the top if you wish before baking
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    One of me and FI's favorite recipes. Incredibly simple and easy to make but super tasty and good for you!

Garlic-Herb Beef and Onion Fajitas

INGREDIENTS
    1 tsp.
    basil leaves
    1/2 tsp.
    oregano leaves
    2 tsp.
    olive oil
    3/4 tsp.
    marjoram leaves
    large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
     flour tortillas (7 to 9 inches) ($1.00 Off 2 coupon)
    1/4 tsp.
    finely crushed rosemary leaves
    3 to 4
    cloves garlic, finely minced
    1/4 tsp.
    cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp.
    black pepper
    beef flank steak (about 3/4 lb.)
    1/2 tsp.
    salt

= Meijer Grocery Ad Special    = Coupon
     = Custom Coupon

PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS
    (Prep Time:15 minutes, Total Time:23 minutes)
    1. Blend garlic, olive oil, basil, marjoram, salt, oregano, rosemary and peppers. Rub evenly on steak. Cover and set aside. Wrap tortillas loosely in foil. Spray onion with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.

2. Heat grill to medium. Over direct heat, place seasoned flank steak on grill. Grill, covered, 4 to 7 minutes per side or to desired doneness. During last 3 to 5 minutes, place packet of tortillas on grill to warm tortillas.

3. Remove steak from grill; let stand 3 to 5 minutes. Cut beef across grain into thin strips. Pile beef and onion on warm tortillas; wrap to enclose.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I'll jump in on this: From emilybites.com (I highly recommend you check her out!)

Ingredients:
    1 ¼ lbs extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O)
    1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce 
    1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce 
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (7.5 oz) can refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters (I used my store brand Tops “Homestyle” biscuits)
    1 cup shredded low fat Mexican Cheese (I used Weight Watchers brand)

Directions:
    1.    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
    2.    Brown turkey in a large skillet or sauté pan. 
    3.    Add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and black beans and stir to combine. Stir the biscuit pieces into the meat mixture. 
    4.    Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. 

Yields 6 servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per serving from myfitnesspal.com: 307 calories, 34 g carbs, 6 g fat, 32 g protein, 4 g fiber
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards