South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Wedding Venues - Mt P/IOP

I'm not getting married till spring 2011 but want to get my venue in Charleston asap. Two of my favorite venues are Citadel beach house and Alhambra Hall. I love the Citadel beach house but I am concerned bc people keep saying that it is always open to alum - even during reception. And Alhambra is great but I heard it's hard to get a date. I've never been to a wedding at either place. Has anyone been to weddings here and know what these venues pros and cons are?? Thanks!!

Re: Wedding Venues - Mt P/IOP

• Options
    cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding at Alhambra Hall is in 6 weeks!  If you decide to go with them, you will want to get a place in line.  I decided not to stay the night because I figured it would be the May and June dates to go.  Well every single Saturday in March was spoken for, and the couple right in front of me in line got March 27.  I had to go with the 28th.  I was surprised that there was only 1 couple there for April.

We couldn't go with April because we had already booked our honeymoon (cruise out of Charleston, we got engaged on a cruise and booked our honeymoon then so we could receive on board credit).  I didn't want February because we wanted to get married in the spring.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Alhambra Hall.  I am not a Mt. P resident and had to wait until the 2nd booking day.  I can honestly say that line was not long.  It was me, 2 brides and 2 brides' parents.  It was fun and not stressful at all!  Everyone even got the dates they wanted!  I booked a September date, so if you're not married to a Spring date then you might want to consider sometime late Summer.  There is a huricane risk, but the weather will be cooler!  Good luck and happy hunting! 
  • Options
    kje120kje120 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Alhambra Hall last May.  I did wait in line overnight and was the 12th bride in line.  Luckily we had 6 dates in mind and one was still available.  We are Mt P residents so we we got to go the first day.  The day to start booking contracts will be released late April/early May on the website.  April is tricky.  We didn't want the first two weekends due to the bridge run and Easter and the venue is never available the last weekend because of Blessing of the Fleet.  Just something to keep in mind when picking dates.

They are easy to work with and the venue is beautiful.  My only complaint is when we were doing pictures before the ceremony there were people that were walking their dogs around and the ladies with the town of Mt P said they couldn't kick them out since it's a public park.  One of my BM's took care of it instead.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My reception is at Alhambra Hall June 4 2010. My date is a Friday evening and it has worked out great! The venue is open later on Friday night so our reception can go longer and clean up does not have to be complete until 1:00am. The only complaint I have so far is having a hard time getting in touch with the office to set up a time for my wedding coordinator to look at the venue. Good Luck and happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My reception is at Alhambra Hall June 4 2010. My date is a Friday evening and it has worked out great! The venue is open later on Friday night so our reception can go longer and clean up does not have to be complete until 1:00am. The only complaint I have so far is having a hard time getting in touch with the office to set up a time for my wedding coordinator to look at the venue. Good Luck and happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a couple of events at the Citadel beach house (fiance is an alum) and it's a wonderful venue, but there are some issues with it.  I considered it as a possible venue but there are so many stipulations regarding what you can and cannot have, catering penalties (if you choose someone other than ARAMARK), you have to hire staff to set up and break down your event (very little is included in the rental), and there is no restriction when it comes to outside visitors meandering around the house.

If you're looking for a nice reception area, you might want to look in Palmetto County Park off of Longpoint Road.  My parents live in Longpoint (the subdivision where the park is located... in the back of the neighborhood) and I grew up at the park.  You can rent out a shelter for $250, so it's very cost effective, but the only thing is that you have to break down the reception at least 1 hour before the park closes (normally 5 or 6).  Good luck! Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have another venue suggestion - The Pavilion at Pepper Plantation. My fiance almost waited in line for Alhambra Hall, until we found Pepper Plantation. We're getting married there in June and I can't wait! It's so beautiful!

It's a newer venue, so they don't have every single weekend booked like some of the others. They're really easy to work with and don't have a million rules about what you can and can't do. Picking a venue was definitely the most stressful part for me - good luck!

This kind of love is what I dreamed about ~6.4.10~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at Alhambra on a friday night.  My other top choices were Citadel Beach House and the Cotton Dock at Boone Hall.  There's also the Creek Club at I'On, Cottage on the Creek and The Landing.  My wedding will have about 200-250 guests so I could only consider places that could accomodate that many people.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

I was wondering how your wedding was at Pepper Plantation in June?  We are thinking about planning a wedding there next fall and would love to know how it went!  Any details would be great.  You can email me at amcohen1313@yahoo.com.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards