Illinois-Chicago
Options

Bridal Shop Fire

Just wondering if anyone else got their dress at Eva's Bridal in Oak Lawn. My wedding is in 3 weeks and my dress was just waiting to be pressed and was paid in full and it's gone....Eva's said they would do anything possible to help me and I should hear from them by tomorrow. If I don't I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and get my money back and get a new dress. I can honestly say I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enemy. I'm so heartbroken knowing that it is entirely possible Eva's won't find a replacement dress and I'll walk down the aisle in something less than my dream. I know this isn't the main reason for the wedding and I'm still looking forward to marrying my fiance obviously but....well you ladies know....I'd appreciate all your thoughts and prayers to help me through this situation. Also, any ladies out there who are dealing with this as well just know that I have my fingers crossed for you and hope everything works out well.

Re: Bridal Shop Fire

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you are going through this. I think this is one of the worst wedding-related nightmares a bride can have, and you are living it. I would start looking at off the rack dresses that you could possibly wear just in case you need to find something else. I cannot even imagine what this must be like to go through. Keep your head held high!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry ladies, I haven't been on in a while.  I've been finishing up my graduate coursework.  Well today was my last day and I was ready to celebrate until.... I got a call from my bridesmaid.  I was horrified as I listened to her say that Eva's burned down.  My dress just came in two weeks ago and I was saving the experience of trying it on for the first time for this moment (done with school and no stress)... and I will never have that moment now.  I never even got to see my dress.  And now the picture is off the designer's website, so I'm pretty sure it's discontinued.  I feel for you especially becaues I am going through it too.  I just feel so bad for those girls getting married tomorrow and this weekend.  It's just not fair!  thank you all for your support! 
    ~Chris~
    ~It took us five years to finally date, one year to become engaged, and the rest of our lives to fall in love over and over again~ siggy challenge - hair inspiration Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies,
    If you go to WGN RADIO on Facebook, hundreds of ladies have listed their gowns for loan or sale, I know it may not be your dream dress, but you may be able to find something equally beautiful to wear, in the same style.
    A few posts down there are 3-4 of us that posted pics of our gowns to you to borrow if  you wish. I'm sorry this happened to you.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,

I read about Eva's this morning in the Red Eye and was shocked!  I can only imagine having to deal with general wedding stress and then on top of it losing your dream dress!

I'm soooo sorry and if anyone is intersted in borrowing my dress, I'd gladly lend it to you! However, it's currently at my parents so the soonest I'd be able to get it to Chicago is Thanksgiving weekend.

It's Casablanca 1881 in ivory/champagne, size 10 (I think, it may be 12) but I'm a street size 6.  I'm 5'-5" and my shoes had a 1-1/2" heel.  In fact, I'd be willing to lend my shoes, veil, dress, earrings, etc.  Look at my bio if you're interested and contact me via the contact form on my bio.

GL ladies!
    Again, so sorry if you lost a dress at Evas!
    -Hannah
  • Options
    smomallsmomall member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to all the girls who lost their dress. I too have a dress that I'd like to donate. Its an A-Line white silk with crystal embroidering under the breast line. I have pictures but I can't download them so feel free to PM me. I think its either an 8 or a 10 and I'm 5'2.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PJ, if you check out their website, you'll see they are making every single effort to get brides their same dresses. Check out this link: http://evasbridalsofoaklawn.com/

Have you stopped by their temporary location yet? I'd say go RIGHT away. I purchaed my dress from there and they were always wonderful to deal with - especially the owner, Ronia. She mentioned on there that she was able to get a brides exact dress overnighted from the designer, and they were having it fitted for her wedding THIS weekend.

This story has literally gone all around the US. Eva's of Oak Lawn was the oldest bridal store in the US (according to that CNN article).

I cannot even fathom how devastated you are, but I think at times like this, it's really REALLY important to focus on the fact that it's only the dress - and that nothing happend to you and your soon to be husband. You will still walk down that aisle, you will have chills and goosebumps, you will know that everyone watching you walk down that aisle loves you, and supports you and your fiance. You will probably cry when you see your fiance standing at the altar waiting for you. And in that moment, you will forget this entire thing happened! You will still do the most important thing of that entire day - you will say I DO and you will be MARRIED!!! WooHoo!!! You will have a fabulous reception and will dance the night away! Your day will be perfect! Nothing - not even this horrible situation- will cross your mind.

I have offered to loan my dress to anyone in this exact situation. If you get down to the wire, and cannot find anything, please shoot me an email (kathleenthame at gmail dot com) if you would like to see pictures of my dress.

I wish you ALL the best!!!
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @PJ and @peter--I'm so sorry to hear about your dresses!  I agree w/@kthame--it sounds like Eva's is doing everything they can to help brides out. There are also other stores who have stepped up to loan brides dresses; along with all of the generous ladies of TK Chicago! 

I know things will work out for you! I'm waiting to hear if I'll get my dress for my May wedding--fingers crossed!
  • Options
    kag0215kag0215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's my dress. It's a size 20 and hasn't had any alterations done to it yet. If anyone that was effected by the fire needs to borrow it please PM me!

209 Invited image
    141 Can't Wait image
    19 Have Something Better To Do image
    49 Can't Find a Mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am so very sorry to you girls that lost your dresses in the fire!!  I can't even imagine how that must feel, but I do agree 100% with kthame.  It sounds like they are doing everything they can, and I would imagine the owner is also very heartbroken!  

I too have sent an e-mail to Mark Suppelsa (who forwarded it on) offering to lend my dress to someone in need.  My dress is a size 8, has a true v-neckline.  I am 5'10" and wore about 1/2" heel, if anyone thinks this might work for them, let me know. 

I heard on the radio this morning that bridal shops and former brides around the nation are offering their help by donating dresses.  That is so amazing :)

• Options
    lwogslandlwogsland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a mori lee dress from my wedding if someone is desperate..i wear a street size 8...i'm 5'7 it's a fit and flare..ivory..with beading under the bust line

could meet up in appleton/oshkosh, wi area
  • Options
    PJ32186PJ32186 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the support ladies! Heard back from Eva's today. They found a dress from the same designer and looks almost like mine except for a few details. My style was discontinued. They said it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday and if I don't like it I can get a full refund. I do have some back ups picked out from another store. So I keep reminding myself it will all work out and just thinking positive. Thanks again ladies and I hope the other ladies who are affected by this can find something that makes them feel beautiful!
  • Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just heard about this story!! I got my dress from Eva's for my wedding that took place two months ago. With all the stress and excitement surrounding the wedding, I cannot imagine this happening! This is so sad! Knowing how good Eva's was to work with, I know they will do everything to get you a beautiful dress! You will still look stunning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your dress! I would have been in tears! The other married ladies are right: on your wedding day, you'll be so excited to marry the man you love that the dress will seem less important.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kthame... That was very beautiful and inspiring.  Thank you!

PJ.. yay!  Did it turn out alright, have you gotten it yet?  

I heard all but two girls got and/or will get their dresses in time!  Mine was also discontinued, but I went to Palermos and spoke with Ronia and her team (she also gave me a hug, so sweet).  However, they had good relations with the designer/manufacturers (Maggie Sottero of Sottero and Midgley) and they said they would be able to get my dress to me in a few months!  Yay!  I am a bit nervous because they are making it post-discontinuation and in 5 months less time than the original.  So, I am questioning quality and if the fabric will be the same.  But I have been assured that they work very hard to please their customers and so far I feel like I have been treated so wonderfully. 
    ~It took us five years to finally date, one year to become engaged, and the rest of our lives to fall in love over and over again~ siggy challenge - hair inspiration Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards