Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Tanning Update

Hello All,

As some of you know, I have been trying to figure out the best way to get tan without going tanning. I did a mystic tan, which gave me zero color. ZERO.

I did an airbrushed tan last week and while I like the color, my hands are completely white. I look like freakin' Mickey Mouse. My arms are all tan, and then I have this weird line and my hands are white. No fun.

I used Kate Sommerville tanning wipes on my legs. LOVE. I had one spot that I missed, but other than, I really like them. Biggest issue is my back. There is no way I can get the top of my back and I know FI would mess it up.

So.... I am now officially going to go tanning. Tanning the old school school, cancering up my cells, tanning. I have given up on the sunless options, well as of now.

Does anyone on here tan? Will I be able to get color with less than 2 weeks? Any thoughts (besides, I'm going to H*ll b/c I'll get cancer b/c I'm tanning- if those are your thoughts. I am well aware, but thanks for your concern!)? :)
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: Tanning Update

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're going to h-e-l-l in a handbasket.

Kidding, kidding. I have tanned a few times in the past. If you go for the majority of the next two weeks, you should get some color.

If you can find a high end salon with high end beds, it's worth the extra money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I hear you... I used to tan - all.the.time - but in the past few years I've had a few bouts with pre-cancerous spots on my body that needed to be removed. So I have some ugly scars on my arms, butt, and back :( So I stopped tanning...

With all of that being said, I am sad to say that I am tanning right now for the wedding. I went to Hollywood tans and got 10 tans in the H60 bed (8min max) and got 3 free for buying the package so I have 13 tans total. I have been going about 1-2x per week for about 2-3 weeks now and I really do have some nice color. I think 100% that you will get some color in 2 weeks. Good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote for embracing your paler skin - as a blonde hair, blue eyed fair skinned person who burns and has had enough "omg is it melanoma?" mole scares in her life. That being said, if you don't wanna go that route, I echo the high end salon with good beams. Maybe you can counterbalance it by wearing SPF 50 on vacation or something...Water Babies rocks (no kidding). Good luck!

Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I hate to say it but I'm tanning for the wedding too.

I am in the DC area too and I go to palm beach. I got the second step tanning bed and saw color within 2 times. You should be able to get some :-)

HTH

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never tanned in my life, but I decided to do it last year before the wedding.  DH had been outside a lot playing softball PLUS tanning, and I didn't want to look like a complete ghost next to him or end up with tan lines from sitting out.  Also, since I knew we were going to the Carribean for our HM, I was afraid if I didn't get a base, I'd be fried our first day there.

Like you, I was two weeks out, but I was definitely able to get some color.  I bought a package of 10 and between DH and I we used all of them.  I went slow at first - 7 mins, but gradually worked up to 15 mins.  My DH also shared the secret of tanning accelerators, which they sold at the salon.  Those really made a difference.  DH would second the high end beds.  Apparently the place I go is pretty basic, and he said if we ever do it again, we should go to his cousin's place where they have those. 

Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, erica - I'm in the same boat as you.  I was a tanning freak in college, and have had some "mildly abnormal" moles removed.  Yay scars!  I have a few more moles that I have my eye on, which will probably be removed too.  Oh the joy.  :)  So I've stopped tanning (haven't been to the bed in almost 2 years) and have opted for other methods.  I actually really really liked spray tanning.  Sure, it doesn't last as long, but it's a lot safer, and it will probably be what I will end up doing for my wedding.

But if you really like the Kate Sommerville wipes, why stop using them?  If you fear that your FI will mess it up, can't you get someone else to help?  And aren't you in DC, too??  Just hurry up and go outside in this 90 degree sun and catch some rays Cool

Nonetheless, from my vast tanning experiences, you should definitely see some color in at least two 15-20 minute sessions.
  • Options
    allisonkbyeallisonkbye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would go a couple times this week but lay off next week. u dont wanna risk getting burnt. use a good lotion and get out as soon as ur skin starts to feel tight. don't go 2 days in a row. and use lotion with a small amount of spf and go in a stand up if ur really afraid of getting burnt
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say you should see some color too, but honestly if you are going to tan, wear sunscreen. I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous, but honestly if you have 10 sessions, you will still see results with sunscreen. And I mean 30-50 spf.

I had some tan since we were married in August, but even if we'd gotten married in April or May, I wouldn't have done it (tanning). I've known too many people who have had spots removed, and had one friend who had the kind that is most treatable but also they take a piece, check it for cells, and they keep digging and looking at the sample under the scope til it shows no cancerous cells.  They told me about a hard as nails schoolteacher who burst into tears the 3rd or 4th time they called her name to have her come back for another part. That was all I needed to hear to stop overexposure and use a high spf sunscreen FOREVER. Just not worth it.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And I don't mean that to sound preachy, I always thought it was a simple procedure as I had had moles removed and that was nothing. Then I heard more details and it scared the $hit out of me. I'd been trying to be more careful anyway but that really made me be more concious of what I was doing as far as tanning and sunscreen go.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have second thoughts about it due to the health risks, skip it. Why risk it.

There are concerns with the sprays and wipes too, they contain a lot of chemicals.

Have you thought wearing a little powder bronzer on your decollegate and face to add a sparkle of color?

You'll look beautiful no matter what shade your skin is.

• Options
    JamieK1882JamieK1882 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

As a former tanner (high school proms), if you're going to tan, make sure to lift your arms up for part of the session so that you don't have white underarms. Also, I usually flip to my stomach the last few minutes so you don't have white patches where your shoulders press on the bed.

• Options
    Anne326Anne326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_tanning-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:fdbf0498-c013-4117-832b-78e6240afa15Post:ce650135-1ce7-49ee-a0fe-243fcd747993">Re: Tanning Update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I hear you... I used to tan - all.the.time - but in the past few years I've had a few bouts with pre-cancerous spots on my body that needed to be removed. So I have some ugly scars on my arms, butt, and back :( So I stopped tanning... With all of that being said, <strong>I am sad to say that I am tanning right now for the wedding. I went to Hollywood tans and got 10 tans in the H60 bed (8min max) and got 3 free for buying the package so I have 13 tans total. I have been going about 1-2x per week for about 2-3 weeks now and I really do have some nice color</strong>. I think 100% that you will get some color in 2 weeks. Good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions!!
    Posted by gmc22[/QUOTE]

I am doing the same as GMC but I did the unlimited package. I have gone 3 times in the last week and have a ton of color. I also did the H60 booth and started with 5 minutes. I did 5 minutes twice and yesterday I went up to 6 min. I have not burned, I just have some nice color. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards