Hawaii

Outdoor Wedding-BUGS???

Hi gals! Hope your Monday is off to a great start!

Quick question. I hope this helps everyone having an outdoor reception....

Does anyone know if there are a lot of bugs in the North Shore area? My wedding is outdoors (tent reception @ Sunset Ranch) and I'm afraid the food is going to attract a lot of bugs. Frown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor Wedding-BUGS???

• edited December 2011
    I don't know about the North Shore, but we had a TON at our outdoor venue.  It got really bad at sunset and they were especially attracted to the light inside our tent.  We provided all our guests with OFF in the OOT bags, and placed cans in the restrooms on site, and also bought large cans of citronella candles to line the outside of the tent -- the combination of everything helped.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh nooooooooooooo that sounds aweful

I didn't even think about the bugs till now and this is of course after I booked the venue. I guess I have to add Citronella candles to my budget. =(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This totally crossed my mind today too, I think i'll be adding bug wipes to our OOT bags and citronella candles to the list of things to buy! mosquitoes love my blood!
  • edited December 2011
    You can probably ask your venue to spray the day or two before your wedding.  Our venue claims that they did, but since it is near a natural area, bugs migrate in pretty quickly.  Not sure if that's the truth, but we still had a lot of bugs.  It wasn't too menacing and most of us were fine because we OFF'd.  Those that didn't got a bit chewed up.
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this something we'll need to worry about for our beach ceremony too? I never really thought of it and we wouldn't have any option but bug spray.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    breaness - typically, there aren't many bugs on beaches, even as the sun goes down (unless there's a major infestation of some sort...)... There's usually enough wind/breeze to keep them away, unless you're in a grassy spot along the beach.  Wouldn't worry too much about it!  :)

Mosquitoes and most biting bugs "hang out" in stagnant waters and moist grassy areas.  That's where they multiply..  So if you're around a vegetated area (especially after it just rained), be prepared for bugs...they come out especially as the sun goes down.  

Some parts of the year are also worse than others.  I didn't get bitten during our entire trip in May....but DH got a few bites while sitting outside some evenings.  Another reason why we chose not to get married on a private estate!  As Tanq said, you can take steps to curb the problem...asking the venue to spray the area beforehand would probably be the most effective.  But I'm kind of wary of insecticides in the first place...

• edited December 2011
    We were surprisingly okay at Olowalu. I expected there to be more (read: some), but no one got bitten. The bug spray and Off Wipes we provided went totally unused. I think the decent wind we had coming off the ocean at dusk really helped things out.
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this post...great question...i will ask my WC.  Totally forgot about this as previous olowalu brides haven't mentioned it as being an issue and i've been to Maui before but never during the summer months...maybe to be on the safe side i will get some wipes for our guests. J. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards