Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Help deciding on a venue?

We are planning a NOLA destination wedding and I would love the input of locals as we try to decide on a venue.  We flew down last week and toured our top 8 locations, and have narrowed it down to 3:

Board of Trade - love the courtyard, but concern is that it is a bit rundown in certain sections.  They've already completed some renovations though and say they will have the rest done (paint, curtains, etc.) next summer.  Cutting it that close makes me nervous though

JW Marriott -- Emily was WONDERFUL!  We almost want to book there just for how great she is.  With 100% of our guests being from out of town though, is it worth having them all travel all the way down to New Orleans for a hotel ballroom you can get anywhere?

Musee Conti -- I've heard wonderful things from this board, but again as everyone is traveling, I'm not sure if not having a balcony or courtyard takes away from getting that authentic New Orleans experience?

Any insights/experiences are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Help deciding on a venue?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings at both the BOT and the Musee Conti.  Food-wise, Pigeon Caterers at the BOT was incredible.  I am not sure who catered the wedding at the Musee Conti because as I understand it you can bring in outside caterers there.  

I agree that the BOT needs some touching up: fresh carpet, etc. But I also know that for an evening ceremony/reception it would be amazing.   Those little imperfections completely disappear in the candlelight. 

Musee Conti was also a good time although for my taste, I'd rather have the outdoor courtyard at the BOT as a transition space than the wax museum exhibits at the Musee Conti.  At MC they set up two bartenders in the wax museum, but they are really hard to access during the cocktail hour because the museum is a bit of a "pathway" that would be weird to double-back on.  At the BOT the courtyard is pretty and the bar is just right there.   (these are my party-animal tendencies coming through). 

Bottom line, of the two events with all other things being equal, I liked the BOT more because the catering was excellent and the courtyard area was so welcoming. 
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked my wedding at the New Orleans Board of Trade.  I really love the outdoor space and didn't want to get married in a windowless ballroom even if it was in the French Quarter.  It was much more economical to have Pigeon Catering to cater the wedding even with the rental fee.

I haven't actually seen the venue, but feel confident as nolabride mentioned that a lot of the flaws will blend in at nighttime.

P.S.  I noticed that you are in New Jersey.  There are quite a few people in NYC planning a New Orleans wedding.  Good luck with your planning.
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having our wedding at the Wax but only the reception. If I were having both the wedding ceremony and reception at a venue I would consider chosing the BOT b/c of the courtyard for the ceremony, but i didn't like the fact that it was close to a busy street and the fact that people would be driving by in the middle of the ceremony, so that was a downside to me for the BOT, it wasn't like they had shrubs blocking the nose or ugly street view. BTW, our bar will be upstairs in the reception space at the Wax, we are also having the museum part open b/c we are having a lot of OOT guests so they can go and see it if they like.

We toured the BOT, I know what you are saying about it, when I went the curtains outside were hanging down and the carpet was dirty, which I guess you might not be able to see at night. I went right before they started renovations.

BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was at the bot so I may be a little biased, but I loved the bot! The place looks amazing at night when it is all cleaned and decorated. It is gorgeous. A lot of wedding photographers have blogs and most of them have shot weddings at the bot. Check out the blogs because it is a good way to see what the place can look like when it is all done up. Plus the food is so good, and they are super easy to work with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never looked at the board of trade but everything I read here is what I've heard on this board before so I think it would be a great place and like they said, isues about carpet wouldnt show up for an evening wedding. I did see some lovely pictures taken in there. I tour'ed the Wax museum when I was helping a relative plan her wedding and personly thought it was ALL new orlesns in terms of history and just the look of the place. I thought it was cool your guests from out of town could cruise the museum with all the history of NO, grab a drink at the little museum bar and then go upstairs to enjoy the reception. At least for me, if it's what we want then we hope our guest will be happy too. It's NO, how could they not have fun with whatever we plan! Forgot about your comment, no balcony. We looked at lots of places with no balcony and it didnt bother me. Are you doing a second line? Some things make up for no balcony. Now this is me being realy selfish but I would prefer my guests to be focusd inside at the reception and play outside on a balcony later.
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're really set on a balcony, you may want to consider the Chicory, Muriel's or the Bourbon Orleans.  Out of the three, Muriel's probably has the largest one, but I liked the Bourbon Orleans because it overlooked Bourbon Street,
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love the museum! It's just so different. Not to offend at all...I'll probably do a courtyard myself, but most people do here. Have to agree Muriel's is fabulous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hey - I actually booked my reception at the JW Marriott.  I had a very similar experience, the people are great!!!!  I love working with Mike, he really understands what I need and I have every confidence that everything will go off perfectly.  The other cool thing about JW is that they do have a balcony overlooking Canal...which is nice.

That being said, I picked based on who I felt comfortable with (and of course, i love the space).

Good Luck -

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!  I'm not worried about a balcony specifically, but do want something that's a bit more unique to New Orleans.  We actually looked at Muriel's but the modified floor plan doesn't really fit with the size and the whole floor plan is outside of our budget.  I LOVED the place though and we are trying to have our welcome party there.

I think I'm leaning towards the Board of Trade for now, but would still welcome any comments or insights from everyone.

Thank you!
  • Options
    I don't know if you booked yet, but we're in the process of booking with the Wax and I was told that the owner is developing a courtyard adjacent to the building that should be completed by May. We're super excited to hopefully take advantage of it, but I just thought I'd let you know in case that was the only thing keeping you from choosing it as a venue.
  • Options
    I don't know if you booked yet, but we're in the process of booking with the Wax and I was told that the owner is developing a courtyard adjacent to the building that should be completed by May. We're super excited to hopefully take advantage of it, but I just thought I'd let you know in case that was the only thing keeping you from choosing it as a venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards