Michigan-Detroit
Options

Desperately seeking an AFFORDABLE reception site! HELP :(

My fiance and I are getting married in Mexico in February and wanted to come back home and have the traditional reception. Lucky that it is off-season so hopefully there will be discounts - even willing to do a Friday evening to save on cash as well.
I refuse to spend more than $15k for EVERYTHING so I really want to find a site that is about $30/person INCLUDING alcohol. Or even $30/person and then I can go to Canada duty-free to pick up alcohol for cheap.

His family is in northern Oakland Cty (Oxford, Lake Orion) wheras mine is coming from the Southwest area like Tayler/Garden City and Livonia. I would love to find a middle ground area like maybe Southfield, but would be willing to do Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak, etc. For the right price of course!!!

Any recommendations???

Thanks
Lindsey
Lindsey

Re: Desperately seeking an AFFORDABLE reception site! HELP :(

• Options
    Also wanted to add that we will have about 275 guests so it quite a large party. And because people are coming from all over the place, I would LOVE a venue that offers shuttles to hotels.
    Lindsey
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    Good luck?

Given your party size, I think it might be hard to find something for $30 all-in with alcohol for that guest list size. But I could be wrong and other ladies might have some good ideas.

My general idea if you can't find something for dinner would perhaps be to do a luncheon instead? That is usually much cheaper and you could definitely find something in the range. Especially since you're having a destination wedding, I could see how a nice luncheon/party might work well here.

ETA: I see you're also thinking off season. Maybe $30 would be doable for an evening thing, then. But I feel like $40 would be more realistic in off season than $30.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Try Knights of Columbus halls. They are nice enough, but not usually very expensive. They are scattered all over the place. They are pretty much independent of each other, so they all do things a little differently. Some include alcohol and some don't. Mine doesn't, and pre-alcohol we are looking at about $18 a plate.
  • Options
    Oh, and I meant to say that they vary in size so you could probably find one that fits your party.

• Options
     It's not quite in the middle, but you might try looking in grand blanc, just south of flint and a little north of oakland county. I know you can get those prices there. Try the captain's club, genesys athletic center, the holiday inn gateway center, or atlas valley country club. I'm pretty sure all of those places could fit that many people, and the food prices are in your range. You probably have to go through them for alcohol though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Look at the Lafayette Grande in Pontiac.  They have plans that include premium bar for well under $30/head.  We had a contract drawn up there but decided to go with Goldner Walsh a few miles away because we wanted something outdoorsy.  In February, that won't work, so the Lafayette Grande's ballrooms might suit you really well.  Their food is pretty good, too.
    Good luck :0)
    September 2012 Brides March siggy challenge: Fav registry item so far...Bunn Coffee Maker!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I actually do have Lafayette Grande on my list of "affordable" venues! Also Pi Banquet Facility in Southfield, Regency Manor in Southfield, Corsi's Restaurant and Banquet in Livonia and St. Mary's Cultural Center in Livonia. So I have a lot of visits to schedule, but if anyone knows anything about these places, I would love to hear!

Thank you everyone for your input so far :)
    Lindsey
  • Options
    The Macedonian Cultural Center on Mound Road is a great option! I hope you found something that works for you, crossing my fingers!
  • Options
    Besides Knights of Columbus halls, I would also suggest halls connected to churches.  Szegedi's catering gave me the following pricing:  Saint Michael's in Redford $27 per person, all inclusive, no bar; Saints Peter and Paul $24 per person plus tax, no bar included; Saint Clements in Dearborn $23 per person all inclusive, no bar included.  I think it's an extra $3 per person for the bar.  We checked out Sts. Peter and Paul and St. Clements and chose to go with St. Clements because we liked the style a little more, but they're both nice halls.  We're looking at around 300 people and both halls could accommodate that.  Szegedi's has really great food and they're family-owned.  They get high recommendations throughtout the Dearborn area.  Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards