Jewish Weddings

All of a sudden worried about my dress

Hello all -

I happened to find (without much work) a beautiful gown - on clearance - over Thanksgiving weekend.  It was marked down to $300 (from over $2000) as it was the last one in the store.  Granted the alterations are costing more than the gown - but hey!

We are having sleeves attached for under the Chuppah - which go half way down my arm; however, all of a sudden I am in a slight panic that they are not long enough IF we get married at the Chabad.

The chances of us getting married at the Chabad are slim..... however, realistically getting married there will make everything a bit easier and the price is much better than other venues.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Yikes!
Eva

Re: All of a sudden worried about my dress

• edited December 2011
    I would determine where you are getting married before you start having the dress altered.  If you ended up needing longer sleeves, couldn't you just have the sleeves lengthened?  Talk to your seamstress to see what the schedule should be.  If your bio is correct that your wedding is in August, you really shouldn't be having too many alterations done so far out, because you could gain or lose weight. 

(I'm assuming from your post that you have your dress and it's not being ordered, so all the alterations are what you will have done to it, not things the manufacturer offers.) 
  • kimberlyb122kimberlyb122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How long as the sleeves you're having done currently? So long as your elbows are covered I don't think it'll be a problem even at the Chabad.
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps you can find a little jacket to go over the gown. Most bridal salons have them or can make you one for about the same price. That way, you may not have to buy the jacket, depending on the type of service you end up with.
  • edited December 2011
    Alterations - the length and the train is being altered..... the rest will be done closer to the wedding.....

Thanks,
    Eva
  • Just to be on the safe side I would just have my sleeve length 3/4, just below the elbow...show respect no matter how religious you are.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards