Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Finding a place to dye shoes

Hi all,

I'm in need of your help PLEASE!!  My bridesmaids' dresses are champagne with a mocha colored belt to accent.  The wedding is the beginning of June and I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do for their shoes.  No one will have the same shoe because of different likes in style, heel height, etc. which is fine with me.  But I'd still like them to all have the same colored shoe.

I thought maybe it'd be a possibility for them to each purchase a dyeable shoe of their liking and then take them somewhere to all be dyed the same color.  BUT...I have no idea where you take shoes to get them dyed.  Does anyone know of a reputable place to take shoes to be dyed that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and will be finished in time for my wedding date (June 2)?!?!  Any advice/information/whatever you have to offer is welcomed with open arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!! 
~Don't marry someone you can live with- marry the person you can't live without~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Finding a place to dye shoes

• Options
    I've always had my shoes dyed at David's Bridal... my only word of advice is that some of the deeper colors bleed onto your feet, it doesn't show as long as the shoes are on, but it's good to know. 

they're fast, and if they do all the shoes at once they'll be guaranteed the same color... also they have a HUGE collection of dyeable shoes in the store
  • Options
    there is also a shoe store in lancaster on the columbia ave that does dyeables

blog post photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mostly any bridal store will do it. However most of the time you have to buy their shoes to dye.
    David's bridal is the best price and more professional.
    However, Payless also dyes shoes for weddings and is very inexpensive. Their colors are somewhat limited but champagne and/or mocha are pretty basic colors/shades.
    You can also purchase dyeable shoes online and dye your own if you get the dye. It's really easy actually but not if you're not into art projects.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thank you ladies for your help.

My dilemna with Davids Bridal is that I had a horrible experience with them when finding my bridesmaids' dress.  And we all know how important a first impression is, especially when you are talking in regards to your wedding.  If possible, I'd like to avoid them.

I was trying to look online at Payless but I couldn't find any info- is that something they don't advertise?  I guess I'll have to go to the store and talk to someone.

I have to ask slpankuch- have you dyed a shoe before?  I'm almost wondering if I dare attempt to do it myself!!!  This might be a dumb question, but where do you get the dye from???
    ~Don't marry someone you can live with- marry the person you can't live without~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wonder if classic drycleaners might do something like that? They do tons of alterations and stuff and send things to their "warehouse" in carlisle?  Maybe worth a try to give them a call?
  • Options
    ive dyed shoes before when i worked in bridal. you have to make sure you have the proper dyes- not the RIT dyes you buy at a store, you also need the right dabbers and water and mixing and getting the color just right
    IT can be DONE, but i would def buy a cheapo pair to practice on before!
    make sure you buy a kit like this, and some might even have your color already and there would be no mixing needed :

blog post photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I got my girls shoes dyed to be the blue of their dresses.  I did it at Lilla's Bridal Salon on Market Street in York
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards