North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Venue help in the Kitty Hawk/Duck area (Sorry for repeats)

Hi All! I am fairly new to the site, but not new to the Outer Banks at all and was hoping for some help!

So my fiancee and I have finally chosen our date, after 3 months of deciding (September 20, 2013 - happens to be our dating anniversary as well!). We also have chosen to scale down everything, so we are thinking now of going more in the direction of a "backyard BBQ", but I can't seem to find any venues that look like they would work for us. It is a bit tough because we are so far away and have limited time that we can go check out places. We are trying to go in January for the Expo, but I am not sure that it will end up working out.

I think we are going to do a cocktail reception, so we don't really need a place for a ton of tables, but we do want a place to dance!

Has anyone else used an event home vs. a venue?? I know that there are probably about 15+ similar threads, but I wasn't able to find one easily.. HELP!

Re: Venue help in the Kitty Hawk/Duck area (Sorry for repeats)

• Options
    tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used "The Jewel of the Isle" with Paramount Destinations.  Located in Duck  3 houses back from the beach access.  Worked perfectly for us.  Can IM me if you need to.
  • Options
    llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Gertrude's Breakaway in Corolla--beach access, has a nice big yard, and three beautiful large porches.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We used an event home in Duck, but we had our reception inside since we got married in October.  We used Ocean Blue with Brindley Beach.  Our house was only an event for 30 people though.  We had a small wedding.  So this probably didn't help you at all, but if you want to know more, let me know!  We loved the house!

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a backyard BBQ feel, try this house:

http://www.joelambjr.com/rental/house.html?ID=907

I have seen it in person and it has a lot of the old Nags Head charm throughout.  If you are looking for something newer and a bit more "posh" ....we can find that for you too!

I debated between an event home vs. venue for the longest time!  I had pre-reserved an event home that was perfect for us but the owner raised the price by $2000 and it was out of our price range at that point....so the search began for a venue.  For us, it actually worked out better in the end to have it at a venue b/c it turned out being a bit more formal and we had about 95 guests and a venue just worked better for everything as far as catering, rentals, etc.

How many guests are you having?  This will probably be the biggest factor in determining whether or not you should do an event home or a venue.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies, I appreciate it! We are (as of now) having probably about 100 people, But hopefully less than that. We were looking at the Hilton Garden Inn initially, but it is way out of our price range now. I have seen a few houses, but I really can't judge how to go about setting things up, or how big the space is. I would say we will have 80 at least, just because it is so far for most of the attendees.
  • Options
    ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey- we were in love with this house.. but it came in WAY over our budget, and none of our family wanted to stay at the house. It's only a 50 person max though, you might have a tough time finding a house that will allow over 50..

http://www.carolinadesigns.com/vacation-rentals/absolute-ambiance.aspx

Also, if you wanted to go in a different direction, Jeannette's Pier is wonderful. We're only inviting 40 to our Sept. 2012 wedding, so we thought the facility would be too large for that many people. We went with the Sanderling elopement package option.

Let us know if you need more help! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention above that Gertrude's Breakaway in Corolla has a 125 person capacity.  We had a rather difficult time find houses that would accomodate more than 100 people.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard about Gertrude's. I will have to look into it! One of my good friends works for Beach Ball, so she had told me about Jeanette's Pier. I have to look more into there. I know a lot of ladies on here that I have seen used Budleigh.. Is that place good? I thought I had emailed then for pricing, but I could be wrong. There is another place in Manteo as well, I think it is call Pirate's Cove or something along those lines..
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Budleigh is amazing!  I feel like I am their spokesperson, lol. 

I debated between an event home and venue, like I mentioned earlier, and going with a venue was the best route for me and 95 guests....and it also ended being much cheaper with a venue b/c everything is already there.  With an event home, you have to consider whether or not you hold the reception indoors vs. outdoors and if you do outdoors, will you need a tent?  Then you have to rent tables, chairs, linens, lighting, dancefloors, etc.  It was much more cost effective renting a venue in the long run.

The great thing about Budleigh is that it holds up to 150 guests I believe, it includes the tables and gold chivari chairs, has an upstairs area which is perfect for the cocktail hour, an outdoor trellis for your guests to mingle and a full kitchen which your caterers love!  I looked at a lot of venues when I was down there for the wedding expo, I even considered The Pier House but then decided it was too pricey and we were restricted to their catering and you had to meet a catering minimum, etc.  When I walked into Budleigh....this feeling overwhelmed me and I just KNEW that it was the place for us.  I was all teary-eyed and blah, blah, blah, etc.  I had the best night of my life and Budleigh was a major factor in that :)

Are you part of our FB group?  It's OBX 2011-12 Knotties.  Please join b/c we talk about tons of stuff...and it's easier than scrolling through thread after thread after thread.  I have a lot of pics that I took of Budleigh on the group page that you can look at if you'd like.

I did a Friday wedding and it was $2500, I think Sat-Sun are $3000 and it's even cheaper M-Thurs.

Let me know if you have any other questions!  :)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    P.S.  What is your price range?  That way, we can all offer you different suggestions to stay within that budget :)

• Options
    tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Jewel of the Isle also has capacity of 125, and a large flat area in the back for a barbeque, and/or tent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are trying to stay UNDER $8-10k for the whole wedding. Closer to $8k would be best.

I was not even aware that there was a Facebook group! Is it an open group or do I have to have someone add me?

And I think I looked at the Jewel of the Isle, and for some reason counted it out..
  • Options
    ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had spent a lot of time debating an event house versus venue, and in the end, an event house was going to be way more expensive for us, because of the house fee, plus the event house fee, then ALL of our rentals.. just something to think about! We look at Beach Ball events while we were down there in September. And it's nice that they offer a "one-stop shop", but seemed like the packages were limited, and it was very expensive to add things that we wanted. Like, their base package didn't even include appetizers! I think you just joined the FB group though, so go ahead and post your question! You'll get a lot more response that way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_venue-kitty-hawkduck-area-sorry-repeats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0fca2b7e-96d0-421a-ad85-edbaadc2fde5Post:2196c326-e137-460f-8f80-6320d36bbcd7">Re: Venue help in the Kitty Hawk/Duck area (Sorry for repeats)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are trying to stay UNDER $8-10k for the whole wedding. Closer to $8k would be best. I was not even aware that there was a Facebook group! Is it an open group or do I have to have someone add me? And I think I looked at the Jewel of the Isle, and for some reason counted it out..
    Posted by lgrunwerg[/QUOTE]

It's a private group but open to all Knotties :)

Look for "OBX2011-12 Knotties"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We will be using the West Ridge, it has a big back yard, is on the sound in Duck. Do not know the amount of people it can hold but we are having around 100 guests.  The owner of the house rents it out, look at the VBRO website if you are interested
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wanted to add to OBX2011's post re: The Woodmere event home with Joe Lamb Jr.  I checked it out a few months ago and I'm sorry to say that it was pretty trashed out.  It's so sad because it was a lovely home at one point, very charming but it has NOT been kept up.  Plus there is hardly any yard space.  There was paint peeling everywhere (outside and inside), over grown grass and weeds on the volleyball court, the screens on the windows were punched out, the driveway and patio was cracked and broken up in places.  The separate "honeymoon suite" was hideous and mildewy and again, not maintained.  For as much as they charge per week ($8-$10K) they should have the funds to maintain it.  Sorry!!
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhh thanks for the update!  I had no idea it had gone downhill so badly...will make sure not to recommend that one anymore.

I was down there this spring and there were several work trucks there b/c the website indicated it was undergoing some serious rennovations.  I wonder if you were down before or after that?  It would be a shame if they did all of those rennovations and that it was still not up to quality standards.

Again, thaks for the clarification on The Woodmere :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards