Ohio-Cincinnati

Which is better a Saturday DAY wedding or a Friday NIGHT wedding? HELP

So now that I found the place where I am going to have my wedding, I need to decide whether or not to have it on a Friday night or a Saturday Day. I really wanted a night wedding and ideally I would have wanted a saturday night wedding but that just isn't in our budget. My Aunt thinks I should do it on saturday day because she thinks everyone will have a hard time getting there on a friday night but I don't want my big day to end at 6! :( Any suggestions, which would you do? Anyone have a friday night wedding and have people not show up because it was a friday? Thanks in advance!

Re: Which is better a Saturday DAY wedding or a Friday NIGHT wedding? HELP

• cincychick35cincychick35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say if the Saturday day wedding is within your budget, you should go for that.  I do agree that people might struggle to get to a Friday night wedding in time, and I know I wouldn't want my guests hurried or frazzled trying to get to my wedding.
    My brother just had a Saturday day wedding in May.  It was lovely and we did all of the normal wedding things.
    Good luck!
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you keep searching other venues that would be in your budget for a Saturday night wedding?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • newsgrl39newsgrl39 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was completely dead set on a Saturday night wedding. Unfortunately, my venue was booked for the rest of the year on saturdays and i didnt want a long engagement so i had to choose a Friday night. My wedding is actually 2 weeks away and I didn't have a problem at all with people not coming bc it was friday. Most people that couldnt make it, were out of town or were coming from out of town and it would not have mattered one way or the other...

sooo i would say go for a friday night wedding... that way you get your night wedding!  its not that bad at all!
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I had a Friday wedding.  The only people who missed were those who couldn't have come anyways.  We did make it later in the evening (ceremony at 7) for those folks coming from work.  The OOT guests actually said they enjoyed it, because they made it a weekend. 
  • edited December 2011
    i'd rather go to a wedding at 2pm on a saturday than a friday evening. i'm tired after work (i could use a nap right now) and rushing home to get dressed and go to a wedding is the last thing i'd want to do.
  • edited December 2011
    We are going with an early evening(4pm) on a Sunday.  We are getting the same pricing as we would for a Friday night without all the rush rush of a Friday night after everyone gets off work.  I was totally against it in the begining thinking it would be a huge party killer, but I have honestly found many people to be way more excited about it than I thought.  They will still get to get their party on but get home in time to sleep off the wedding stupor. And since we did a Sunday the hall threw in Open Bar for free...cant beat it!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I would do a Friday night.  A couple of my friends got married on a Friday night and they didn't have people that couldn't make it because of that (beyond those that couldn't have come anyway like a pp said).  Also depending on the time of year, especially Spring, Summer, and Fall I think a lot of people have a lot going on Saturday days, with kids and sports, etc.  Plus, I see Friday as kind of a date night/ go out night anyway so I think most people would be more than willing and fine with going to a wedding on a Fridy night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bmfleurbmfleur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on what kind of celebration you want. Either day works well for different reasons. I would prefer a Friday evening, because I like the dancing and party atmosphere. I think you lose some of that in afternoon weddings; the few that I've been to never really seemed to take off. If you aren't having dancing then I think an afternoon reception can also be a lovely way to celebrate. I would plan it for what you really want; those that can make it will be there.
  • edited December 2011

Maybe this is because I was just in a wedding on what may have been the hottest day of the year, but one thing I would consider is the time of year.  If its summer, you might be less likely to sweat off all of your makeup on Friday night if you are outside.  You can sleep in a little and still have time to get your hair done.  If you don't care about seeing the wedding dress, you have your choice of before the wedding for daytime pics or after for evening. 

Personally, I'm having a Saturday day wedding in the winter.  Unfortunately, if you are Catholic or Lutheran around here there is usually a service at 5 or 6 on Saturday so you have to fit it in before that.  I was just at one that was at 2:30 and I think it was fine.  Dinner was probably around 5, but we were dancing until 10.

• nics21nics21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    friday night no question.  people who care enough to want to be there will make it happen.  If you want a party atmosphere, go with friday.  the only way I would say sat is if you are having a more laid back no dance type thing. 
  • hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd prefer a Saturday day wedding, but I've been to lots of them.  Think about your guest list, and how many potential out-of-town guests you're going to invite.  If a lot of people have to travel, you may want to consider Saturday.
  • edited December 2011
    I would vote for a Friday.  It gives people an excuse to take a day off work, and enjoy a long weekend. 

Saturdays are usually jam packed, so people might come to the wedding, but they're likely to cut out right after the food.
  • ashmash8833ashmash8833 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thankyou all so much for all your advice. After seeing all the comments, I have decided to go with a Friday night wedding. I am going for more of a party atmosphere and have a lot of guests who like to drink so I think its the best choice for me. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    We had a Friday night wedding (started at 6) and it worked out just fine (and saved us a ton)!  There were a small number of people that couldn't make it because of traveling a long distance and work schedules, but that may have been the case on Sat too.  The only down side is that some of my out of town family left the reception around 9:30-10 and I was bummed a little, but honestly, I don't know how different it would have been on a Sat. night.  All in all, I don't regret a Fri night wedding.  It's in vogue thanks to the Royal Wedding! :)
  • ashmash8833ashmash8833 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

UPDATE*
    So I went to book my Friday Night wedding at Receptions in Erlanger, and after really looking at the difference in price we were able to go with a Saturday Night!! And the package includes free well drinks. I couldn't be happier with the price, especially since we went to the madison as well to get pricing and the Madison's Friday night is similiar to Receptions Saturday night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards