Indiana

Church in Fort Wayne

Hello Indiana Knotties.  I'm looking for a church to use for my wedding in the Fort Wayne area.  My family is long time members of The Salvation Army here in Fort Wayne, but I'm not really interested in using their building because neither my fiance or I are interested in the required pre-marriage counseling.

Do any of you have any suggestions on churches that allow non-members to pay a fee and use their church without pre-marriage counseling?

Re: Church in Fort Wayne

• MattoxMillerMattoxMiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just at the bridal show and there was a church there, First Christian Church.$800 for non members, but I don't know if you have to do pre marital counseling. Our church in Ft Wayne is requiring it and so does our church in KY (if we had decided to get married here).
  • hbatchel2hbatchel2 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Premarital counseling is pretty standard with church weddings. I can't think of anyone who was married in a church that didn't have to do it. FI and I are non-members at the church we're getting married at, and we are paying an extra fee nd still have to do the counseling. Is there a particular reason you're so against it? It's really not as bad as you may think, and its usually only a few 1 hour sessions spread out over the duration of the engagement.

I would look into other locations for your ceremony that aren't churches.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011

I was mostly looking for a cheaper venue that is still pretty yet not 1300 dollars for an evening wedding (as the Botantical Gardens downtown is). 

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Fort Wayne Baptist (used to be First Baptist) Non-members have to pay $500 for the facility (which includes 4 hours day-of and a rehearsal). Iif you use their pastor there's an additional fee and you have to go through counseling BUT you are allowed to bring in your own pastor if you want. SO if you can find one that is willing to skip the pre-maritals you're good to go.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at First Christian.  The fee is $800 and I think they do marriage counseling, but I believe it's only a couple hour sessions.  I am using my own Pastor.  They are really nice there. They give you a key to the church the day before the wedding and you have unlimited use of the facility.  You can come in anytime on the day of the wedding.  It's a pretty church.

www.fwfcc.org

There wedding policy is online...

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    The pre-marital counciling is pretty standard. It has to do with the fact that most pastors have to be able to answer if they deem that this is an acceptable marriage. It really just an informational session if they require just one meeting. They want to feel like they know who they are marrying. I.E go on a date with the pastor. If you are freaking out because you saw license to wed its nothing like that movie. Most churches in Fort Wayne are about 500 or more and require at least one session. If you are interested in any UMC's (the SA steams out of the UMC) I know most of the pastors in Fort Wayne and may be able to help you find one that you can get along with well enough for a session. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards