Outdoor Weddings

Backyard Wedding: Success!

I thought I would post my wedding bio for our backyard wedding on August 28th in Ottawa, Canada.

I've included details about planning considerations and budget items for those interested in hosting a tented reception.  The actual ceremony was indoors at our church which I realize is backwards to what a lot of people plan.

I'm not sure if my Bio link will work so here is a functioning link:

http://SpookieCat.weebly.com

Re: Backyard Wedding: Success!

• That's great news!
    I am also having an outdoor wedding next may, in a tent.
    p.s. are the bouquets on the website your actual wedding flowers? they are STUNNNIG

• everything looked great. WE are doing a backyard wedding and reception at our home. I love the idea of the bathrooms, unfortunately, it's not in our budget. But, we've got about 76 people coming and we have two bathrooms in our home. Hope it turns out ok for us. I love your flowers. I also like the idea of liability insurance for one day! I think i will look into that.
  • Thanks for the compliment Gazelle and yes they are our actual flowers.  The bouquets are composed of blue hydrangeas, purple lisianthus, purple agapanthus (these were really gorgeous although they look weird on the stalk), and blue delphinium.  My florist came up with the combo and they came out awesome.

With respect to not having any port-o-potties or whatnot:  We knew that being on a weeping bed and septic tank it wouldn't be a good idea to let people use the washrooms.  Although the system can manage two toilets going it can't necessarily manage two toilets going all night long and there's a possibility that the weeping bed will saturate and start to stink.  I think if you are on a city septic system this isn't an issue at all. 

I also wanted to keep everyone outdoors all night.  We did not want guests who don't know my Aunt and Uncle wandering through their house.  We basically locked the house when everyone got there and other than me going in to bustle my gown and my cousin putting her baby to bed no one else entered the house all night.  We preferred this from a security standpoint.
  • we are having an outdoor weeding in July, I had not thought of having a pot a potty at all! we have three full bathrooms (one on each floor) in the house and we are looking to invite about 100 people, plus the uncounted kids. i hope it does not cause a problem...i have a question. our wedding will be in ny (in queens near long island) we have a pond and a huge garden and bugs may be a major problem. we are planning on spraying the yard the morning of, but did you have any problems with bugs? namely mosquitoes?
    BabyFruit Ticker Chickpea
  • Our wedding was in late August so it's not mosquito time here in Ottawa... normally.  For reasons unknown this year they came out in droves ( a second hatching?) about 2 weeks before the wedding.  As a result my dad bug sprayed about an acre of the backyard (where the tent was) the afternoon before the wedding.

He used some kind of garlic concentrate that is all natural and chemical free.  It smelled terrible but it got the job done and you couldn't smell it the next day.  Not a bug to speak of other than some house flies so all in all I would say it was a success.  I hadn't even thought of it but my Dad was certain that it was necessary.  Good luck!
  • Oh yeah - the rental company indicated to me that 1 toilet will do up to 75 people for an event, so we only had 2 stalls for our anticipated 150 guest list.  I imagine it would be the same deal inside your house.  I would not worry if you are on a city septic system.  We were 20 kilometres out into nowheres-ville so putting that much into the septic bed was a risk I was unwilling to take.
  • thanks alot. that makes me feel better about the bathrooms. We have two (not septic) and should be fine for our guests list of 80. I looked into day of liability insurance and I am waiting to hear back soon. Wedding is 8 days away. Thanks.
    I'm now stressing over weather! luckily, we have a tent..30x45 . But still, rain would be bad--we're having our ceremony under our backyard oak trees, so no coverage there. I think i may need to  buy umbrellas just in case.
  • Thanks so much, i think we will do the same thing, i might even spray the day before and the afternoon of the wedding. the whole wedding, ceremony and reception will take place in the backyard so i don't want our guests to be eaten alive!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Chickpea
  • We had friends of the family have an outdoor wedding in the true height of bug season here.  I'm not certain if I would spray the afternoon of the wedding - I think it took about 8 hours for the smell of the spray to really go away.  I know that they sprayed their lawn for 3 days in advance to scare all of the bugs out of town so to speak.

Good luck and I hope that thie works for you.  I would suggest also having bug spray (OFF or whatnot) and After Bite cream included in your bathroom baskets if this could potentially be an issue.
  • Hello future brides! I just got married in August, and call me a geek, but I can't get enough of this stuff! So, I made a blog for you! I want to share my dos and my don'ts and advise! Check out my blog! I just wrote a page about VENUES, including stuff about backyard weddings! 

If you have any questions, leave a comment on my blog, and I will get back to you! 

• Thanks for posting your website.  Beautiful wedding and great ideas.  You have definitely reminded me of some items I need at the wedding (restrooms) that I have not put in my budget yet........Frown 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards