Canada-Ontario

Need help with a photographer decision

I need some help with this photographer - Thomas from Best Dream photography -
http://bestdreamphotography.com/ . I initially found him through a google search (paid ad on google) and liked his style, so FI and I set up a meeting with him. We met in a coffee shop and he showed us books (samples of his work) as well as one book of one whole wedding he has shot. He was polite, well-spoken, and both of us got a good feeling about him and I asked for references (phone); one checked out and the other I left a message (haven't heard back yet).  

However, the thing that is mainly holding us back is that besides his website (and a small kijji ad) I can't find anything else on him or this company. No online reviews, no links on wedding vendor sites, nothing. So, I'm wondering if this could be a scam - or if no news is good news. I also checked the BBB and there was nothing listed on the company. He required 20% down and the remaning 80% on the wedding day. He also has a very reasonable price - $900, so I'm not sure if it's because it's lower than some other companies that I'm feeling concerned. What do you guys think I should do? Have you met photographers in coffee shops that are ligitimate? I've heard that photographers who do this part-time as a side job and who don't have a studio do this, but I'm not sure.

Re: Need help with a photographer decision

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that if you are satisfied with the work he has shown you, and more importantly with the references, then you should be OK. Photographers who are just starting out or doing it as a side job just may not spend as much on marketing. Also, not all vendors believe in using those wedding vendor sites; some prefer to grow by word of mouth.

My photographer was like that. It was her weekend job/hobby and she had a blog. We also met her at the coffee shop and she works out of her home. We were 100% happy with her work and the price we paid for it.

$900 does sound low for Toronto but not absurdly so, especially for someone who may just be starting out. You have to consider what that package includes as well - how many hours, how many pictures, and whether prints are included. 20% sounds like a reasonable down payment.

If you are still unsure, you can always ask for more references.

GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • nmcarthurnmcarthur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i used to work with a popular GTA wedding photographer. she's won tons of international awards, is always featured in wed luxe and other high end publications, and has been in business for over a decade, and she isn't on BBB so i wouldn't let that concern you too much.

reference checking is a great idea. the fact that he did provide some is a great sign, hopefully the other will call back, if not i wouldn't sweat it. people are busy.

with the vast amount of photographers out there, sometimes it can be hard to find reviews uness they are very large or accomplished photographers. if theyre a new company, they might not have a lot of overhead for marketing and advertising (another thing to consider in the cost youre paying).

20% down is reasonable. just be sure that you be sure that he provides you with a contract detailing all the terms and conditions, as to what is included, start times, when to expect proofs etc etc. make sure you have a copy of this!

pm me if you have any other concerns, ill try my best to help!

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Agreed with PPs.

20% down is reasonable.  Just make sure you get a contract, and ask him about what happens if he is sick/death in the family/otherwise can't make it - does he have a backup contact to replace him?

I wouldn't worry about the coffee shop - it is a good neutral place for you to meet.

My guess is he is just starting out, if he only charges $900.  It's often hard to find reviews for small, independent services like photographers.  Does he have a Facebook fan page?

If he has a book of one whole wedding, maybe that is the only wedding he has done.

As long as you are happy with his work, his attitude and personality, and the price I'd say to book him.  And try to follow up with that second reference and make sure it's not his brother or something.

• lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He sounds legit to me.  Not everyone has a website.  It doesn't mean he's a scammer, it just means he doesn't have a website.  Does he have an office/studio?
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_need-photographer-decision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:ca4ff591-9e26-44ab-acc5-8487282afc3aPost:59b3dc97-0e53-4a84-b1e0-47a5e51b4695">Re: Need help with a photographer decision</a>:
    [QUOTE]He sounds legit to me.  Not everyone has a website.  It doesn't mean he's a scammer, it just means he doesn't have a website.  Does he have an office/studio?
    Posted by lalap69[/QUOTE]
    hey lala,<div>
    </div><div>is that picture you have taken in front of a church? The church I'm getting married at looks like that at the front.</div>
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope, it's taken in front of Somerville House at the University of Western Ontario.  The campus has gorgeous architecture!  I'm trying to find an equally beautiful place to do our wedding day pictures. :)
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies - sometimes I just need other's opinions, especially because I've heard that there are literally thousands of photographers in the GTA - some good, some bad, some just plain scam artists. I also read some other posts (not sure what site - Can. Bride maybe?) where people gave a deposit to a photographer and never saw them again. I guess since he is not that established I am just second-guessing myself. But I did love his pictures and the second reference called back tonight and said positive things as well.

I was also thinking maybe it would be a good idea to get an engagement shoot done - this way I would have a feeling how it would be done at the wedding. He only charges $120 for the engagement shoot - I think it's the low prices that get me!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there, where are you getting married?
    I have an excellent photographer in mind to recommend.
    I have had a bad photographer experience, so , I am sensitive to others.
    I would be happy to give you her name if you would like.

cheers, Vicky
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of photographers include an engagement session with their wedding package, so I wouldn't worry about the $120 engagement session fee.  My photographer charges $200 I believe on its own, and then included it with her package.

Just make sure a contract is drawn up when you sign the deposit.  It should have all the details and be signed by the both of you, indicating the services, the times, what needs to be paid, cancellation, etc.  That way you're protecting yourself!  Ask him to send you a general contract form he normally uses so you can see what's on it, and add anything else you would like to see on it.
  • edited December 2011
    take them out for a spin with engagements.  that will really help you see how you and them "fit"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to add to Littlin's good advice:

My photographer makes his deposit the price of his engagement shoot so that if you don't like his work at the e-shoot, you can walk away and you're even.  See if your photog will do that for you.  (Write it into the contract.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards