Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Donate Wedding Flowers

Does anyone know of an organization that will accept and pick up wedding flowers in the Boston area? Or has anyone done this before? We are exploring the option of donating our reception arrangements to a local nursing home, hospital or assisted living facility. So far the challenge has been 1. finding a place that will accept them (some don't) and 2. arranging for pick up. Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Re: Donate Wedding Flowers

• Options
    Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday.  Seems like such a waste to discard all the flowers after the event.  Maybe, your florist or local florists might have knowledge of something like this. 

Sorry, I'm no help but I'd like to know too. 
  • Options
    Ugh, I know - I've had a really hard time arranging this, too! Several area hospitals/clinics (BWH and Dana-Farber) have told me that they cannot take the flowers because they have really strict health code standards... i.e., someone would have to transport them that night directly from the venue and somehow assure them that the flowers were disease-free. I *think* there are organizations that will pick them up for donation, but from my understanding, you have to pay a pretty substantial fee to have this done.

Yeesh. If you find any place that will take them, please let me know! I feel a little sick throwing away almost $10,000 of flowers after just one night :(
  • Options
    You know it is also a tax write off!
  • Options
    I would think hospitals wouldn't be able to take them because of the health code issues. Nursing homes, rehabs and assisted living places might be less strict. When my dad was in rehab for a knee replacement they had tons of flowers around. Maybe try calling your doctor's office and see if they know anything?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Chips09Chips09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks everyone! I'll keep calling around. The challenge I'm facing is some places will accept them but you have to arrange for pick up and delivery. So we would have to hire and pay someone with a truck/van to pick up late night, store overnight and drop off the next morning. 
    You would think this woud be easier! I'll circle back if I find any place that will pick up!
  • Options
    Why don't you just let your guests take home the centerpieces.  That's what we did at our wedding and I think every wedding I've ever been to.  
  • Options
    Chips09Chips09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    A majority of our guests are coming from a plane ride away and won't be able to take the centerpieces. I'd hate for them to go to waste.
  • Options
    we gave away our centerpieces, but there were a few left at the end of the day.  My parents took them and just dropped them off at a local assisted living.  My dad said when he walked in one woman gushed and asked if they were for her.  He said yes, and handed her one.  He said he never saw someone so happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards