Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

how much time for a photographer?

I've been looking at different photographers in my area and have been wondering....how many hours do I really need a photographer for? Ceremony length will be one hour and the reception will be about 3 hours.

We are on a (very) tight budget of 6-8 thousand dollars max, and photography is a priority, but I don't want to break the bank.

Re: how much time for a photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It all depends, what do you want pictures of? Do you ultimately want an album of your day or are you just looking basic coverage to document the event?
    I always tell brides to plan at the very least two hours before the wedding for portraits and a half hour to hour after the wedding for post wedding pics. The less amount of time you allow for pictures before the wedding you risk the early arrivers walking in on your wedding portraits because guests DO arrive up to an hour before the wedding starts
    But do you want pics of the wedding party hanging out, getting ready, photo walk, salon, etc? These are the kind of details that makes it YOUR day and unlike any other. Otherwise your wedding will look like everyone else's.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my photographer for 8 hours.  I wanted everything from me getting ready to our exit from the reception.  (She actually followed us all the way to our room since we got married in a hotel.)  I agree with the PP--it really depends on what you want to capture from the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a wedding photographer located in South Carolina. We usually do not provide coverage for fewer hours than six. This is due to the fact that we try to cater to the bride who really values photography, and who wants their "story told of their wedding day. I feel that every bride should have a beautiful wedding book to re-live the day, and I have found that for me, I need a minimum of six hours to get the "feel" of the wedding day.

If you have any questions (even if they are not related to photography) I am always glad to help.

Ron Anderson
    http://www.FlyingPigPhotography.com
    864-706-7700
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    6 hours is pretty much the minimum if you want to have a good feel of your day.....Time to capture a little bit of getting ready, family and bridal party portraits, portraits of the two of you, ceremony and most of the reception.  You could probably get away with 5 if you don't care about getting ready and can have the photographer leave early during the reception....A lot of people don't have the photographer stay til the end anyway, as at some point photos of people dancing are very repetative. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest taking pre-ceremony photos too, so factor that in!  Our photographer said he'd do up to 12 hours!!  I'd give yourself at least 6 hours, which is pretty standard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards