New York-Long Island
Options

Average cost of venue

Just curious, but what would you say is the average cost for a wedding venue on LI? we've only looked at a couple of places, and we're not sure exactly what is a "normal" ammount to pay for a venue for people who are on a budget here!.

Re: Average cost of venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends on what level of venue, what day of the week, what time of day, and what season you're talking about.  If you're talking "budget," around $100 per person should get you a decent wedding on a Friday or Sunday or a Saturday afternoon (definitely not Saturday night) during "wedding season."  If you're willing to go "off-season" (November, March, etc.), you could get a much less expensive price than that.  

Some "budget" venues that came in at or under $100 a plate when I was pricing an August Saturday afternoon 2012 wedding:
    -Fox Hollow (Woodbury)
    -Mansion at Timber Point (Great River, it's a Lessings venue)
    -Bayview House at Captain Bill's (Bay Shore or Babylon, I forget which now)
    -Larkfield Manor (Northport)
    -Three Village Inn (Stony Brook, I think)

I really liked the people at Larkfield, and the menu was out of this world, but we ended up choosing Fox Hollow because we just liked it better overall.  Timber Point gave me the least expensive price per person, but it was a bit east for my taste.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im paying for a gauranteed 130 people, and to be honest its not that bad. What kills me is the extras, photography, DJ  hair make up flowers .. Each will cost you a cool grand. The venue is only 50% of my budget it seems. 

Time of year also plays a big factor, I am April 1st, which happens to be Palm Sunday so Im getting a decent price. Good luck to you! 

Here is a list of venues, after clicking one that your interested in you will see on the bottom the price PP 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you guys!. We wanted to do a Friday or Sunday night wedding in October & so far we really like Three Village Inn actually!. But, they priced us for $116 on a Friday/Sunday night in October, and that's not including tax so it's more like $120ish per person. So, we figured if we like this place enough (out of all the places we end up looking at..which Larkfield Manor is one of them!)  than we are willing to settle for a November Saturday afternoon from 12pm-5pm. We figured since it will be fall, the sun would go down early and we wanted an outdoor ceremony anyway. I'm going to check out those other places you listed!. After speaking to my mother, she said that she would pay full price for the venue and all of that, and my dress as long as me and my fiance pay for everything else..which makes me a little nervous!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_average-cost-of-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:4512b7de-e128-4c12-8ccd-d9107eb26ec6Post:123aec51-0dea-41b9-96f8-fd488da60d18">Re: Average cost of venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys!. We wanted to do a Friday or Sunday night wedding in October & so far we really like Three Village Inn actually!. But, they priced us for $116 on a Friday/Sunday night in October, and that's not including tax so it's more like $120ish per person. So, we figured if we like this place enough (out of all the places we end up looking at..which Larkfield Manor is one of them!)  than we are willing to settle for a November Saturday afternoon from 12pm-5pm. We figured since it will be fall, the sun would go down early and we wanted an outdoor ceremony anyway. I'm going to check out those other places you listed!. After speaking to my mother, she said that she would pay full price for the venue and all of that, and my dress as long as me and my fiance pay for everything else..which makes me a little nervous!!
    Posted by BridetobeJenny407[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Tax on $116 is more than $4 per person.  My venue quoted me $115/head, and then threw tax and a 20% gratuity on top of it...bringing it to about $148/head.  Does your quote include gratuity?</div>
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_average-cost-of-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:4512b7de-e128-4c12-8ccd-d9107eb26ec6Post:123aec51-0dea-41b9-96f8-fd488da60d18">Re: Average cost of venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys!. We wanted to do a Friday or Sunday night wedding in October & so far we really like Three Village Inn actually!. But, they priced us for $116 on a Friday/Sunday night in October, and that's not including tax so it's more like $120ish per person. So, we figured if we like this place enough (out of all the places we end up looking at..which Larkfield Manor is one of them!)  than we are willing to settle for a November Saturday afternoon from 12pm-5pm. We figured since it will be fall, the sun would go down early and we wanted an outdoor ceremony anyway. I'm going to check out those other places you listed!. After speaking to my mother, she said that she would pay full price for the venue and all of that, and my dress as long as me and my fiance pay for everything else..which makes me a little nervous!!
    Posted by BridetobeJenny407[/QUOTE]

when we were looking, the avergae price was around $120-130/pp. we ended up going with the Chateau at Coindre Hall, which priced us at $99/pp, and threw in some freebies for us as well. They are partners with Three Village Inn (and Lessings), which I highly recommend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at Chateau at Coindre Hall but thought it was totally out of our price range just by the pictures!. We're looking to get married November 2012 too hah. It was $99/pp including service fee, tax, gratuity and tip?. I've been looking at all these places, and the prices you see online are SO different from the actual price once you include all of those and it's totally throwing off my budget!.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this price included everything but gratuity for the maitre'd, which we are going to have them include. yeah, the best is to just go and see what they can do in person...I did the same thing as you, all I did was look at the pricing they have on the website and said "no way"! but some places will work with you and your budget, and you can try to haggle with them and get some add ons and what not....and of course November starts the "off season" for most places, which also helps in finding discounts! Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    there really is no set amount. you need to shop around and see what the venues can do for you. you also have to have realistic expectations though. friday night, sat afternoon or sunday night are less than saturday night.

• Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    also-make sure you have an accurate budget. if not you always have the option of waiting a while and then having it where you want so you have tme to save.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Most of these places you can haggle as well.  Check out the Watermill in Smithtown.  They have beautiful grounds and rooms, and I was quoted 63.50/pp (before tax and 20% gratuity) for a Sunday afternoon in May, plus they offered to throw in a chocolate fountain (without even trying to haggle).  I didn't go with them, because when we found the place we loved (Woodbury CC) we haggled and got them down $20/pp on a Saturday afternoon from what they originally said the price was just by saying somewhere else quoted us cheaper.
  • Options
    XxKrazy4uXxKrazy4u member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are paying $89.00 ph for Atlantis Marine World in Riverhead. It includes full run of the place for a wedding on memorial day weekend in 2012.
    They threw in a ton of stuff including 5 different entrees, cake, centerpieces, card box, lots of cocktail hour food, chocolate fountain and raw bar.
    Its worth checking out for a really different venue which also winds up being incredibly big as well with plenty of room to accomodate guests and a hotel right next door which is awesome also to continue your wedding celebration afterwards with friends and family. they also built the sea star ballroom overlooking the peconic and i got to see the process of building. The staff is so nice there too. Like i said its different.  May not be your taste but its a memorable venue everyone will talk about. I can put you in contact with someone there if you would like. Hit me up via private message.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards