Jewish Weddings

Does it make me a liar if

The quotes in my ketubah are not the vows that I say at the altar? I don't know what the official rules are on this; I can't find anything about it online.

My fiance and I are working on our ketubah text this week, and all the ones we like say something to the effect of, "They joined hands and said to one another, '..." But it's an interfaith (primarily Catholic) ceremony, and our vows are going to be traditional Catholic ones. I don't want to be a liar via ketubah.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated!

Re: Does it make me a liar if

• edited December 2011
    Our cantor said that he'll talk about what the ketubah says during the ceremony, but those aren't our vows.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • edited December 2011
    The rabbi read directly from our Ketubah but we said the traditional Jewish vows, which are not in the ketubah.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, there are no vows in a Jewish ceremony.  Instead, the marriage is accomplished by having the groom give the ketubah to the bride, and her accepting it, in the presence of witnesses.  And traditionally, the bride and groom don't even sign it--only the witnesses do.  Of course, traditionally, there is also no such thing as an interfaith marriage in Judaism.  So whatever the issues in your ketubah, the fact that those are not the vows you say will not be one of them.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards