Utah
Options

To open house...or not to open house

Hey girls!

So I have a really random problem that I need some advice on. Here's the deal, my fiance and I graduate college in April (Go Weber State!!) And we're planning our wedding for June 9th. We're having a beach wedding in Seaside, Oregon and we're planning to move to Porland after we graduate (in April).

So the question is..do we have an open house here in Utah for my family and our college friends who can't make it to the wedding? And if so, when? Do we do it in April and combine it with a graduation party? Or should we do it later in June after we get married?

Help!

Re: To open house...or not to open house

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Go Wildcats! lol. Fiance and I are doing something similar, we are getting married out here in Ogden, then having a reception for Fiance's family that couldn't travel here in Michigan where he is from and we are moving to after the wedding. We are getting married Oct. 22 and having a Michigan reception on Thanksgiving. 
    I think it is up to you on when you want to have it. If you want to call it a reception you may have to hold it after the wedding, but if you want it to be a graduation/engagement party I think it would be cool. You may be able to get better advice from the etiquette board. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We live in New Mexico but are getting married in Utah because both our families are either in Utah or Wyoming so it made sense (less travel for our guests)

I think it depends on the number of people who wouldn't be able to make it. If we were going to have our wedding in New Mexico 90% of our guests would be traveling so it made no sense.

If it was me.. I would chose to do it after June. (and we are date twins! I am also getting married June 9th!)
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_open-houseor-not-open-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:109Discussion:422e991f-7a5d-429d-a55c-3947ba0102b9Post:284f111e-d0ec-4b17-ba86-0c803132a155">To open house...or not to open house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey girls! So I have a really random problem that I need some advice on. Here's the deal, my fiance and I graduate college in April (Go Weber State!!) And we're planning our wedding for June 9th. We're having a beach wedding in Seaside, Oregon and we're planning to move to Porland after we graduate (in April). So the question is..do we have an open house here in Utah for my family and our college friends who can't make it to the wedding? And if so, when? Do we do it in April and combine it with a graduation party? Or should we do it later in June after we get married? Help!
    Posted by shannonloy[/QUOTE]

So you're moving to Portland in April 2012, getting married in Seaside (gorgeous!) in June 2012.  Do you have an idea of how much family can make it out there?  How many are invited?

We're doing a wedding in Jackson Hole, and that's all.  No reception in my hometown in IN, no reception in his home town in OR.  Then again, we are only invinted immediate family and close friends.  I'm pretty sure they will all travel.

If yo really think most cannot make it and you want to put on another reception (may be kind of tedious), then I'd plan it for after the wedding.  Not make it a graduation party in April before you are married.
  • Options
    shannonloyshannonloy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
    haha! Hey date twin! :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We were planning on about 40 people coming up to Seaside for the wedding. (We want to keep it small since the FI and I are paying for everything) But the problem is that I have a TON of family here in Utah that probably wouldn't/coundln't make the trip to the wedding. So that's why we thought about throwing an open house in Utah.

We wanted to do it in April because we'd be moving in April as well and we could just take the gifts with us. I'm worried that if we have the open house after we get married and come back, that we'd have to transport all those gifts back and that might be a pain...agree?

Thanks for all your help! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_open-houseor-not-open-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:109Discussion:422e991f-7a5d-429d-a55c-3947ba0102b9Post:c276329d-9b23-4695-9418-c04ca3406848">Re: To open house...or not to open house</a>:
    [QUOTE]. We wanted to do it in April because we'd be moving in April as well and we could just take the gifts with us. I'm worried that if we have the open house after we get married and come back, that we'd have to transport all those gifts back and that might be a pain...agree? Thanks for all your help! 

<div>This is my issue. I'm moving to Detroit after the wedding and I am afraid of bringing a lot of gifts back from the reception from Utah. What I've noticed though, a lot of my family and friends are buying off of our registry online, sending it to the new address, or giving us money. I don't think I will actually have a lot of physical gifts to bring back to Michigan with me. </div><div>
    </div><div>Some advice I've seen on other boards is to not sign up for a registry. </div>
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_open-houseor-not-open-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:109Discussion:422e991f-7a5d-429d-a55c-3947ba0102b9Post:c276329d-9b23-4695-9418-c04ca3406848">Re: To open house...or not to open house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the feedback everyone! haha! Hey date twin! :) Thanks for the feedback everyone! We were planning on about 40 people coming up to Seaside for the wedding. (We want to keep it small since the FI and I are paying for everything) But the problem is that I have a TON of family here in Utah that probably wouldn't/coundln't make the trip to the wedding. So that's why we thought about throwing an open house in Utah. We wanted to do it in April because we'd be moving in April as well and we could just take the gifts with us. I'm worried that if we have the open house after we get married and come back, that we'd have to transport all those gifts back and that might be a pain...agree? Thanks for all your help! 

It sounds like you're guessing you're getting a lot of gifts!  If you don't register perhaps people would give cash instead?  How about just driving back to Utah after your wedding if you have an AHR?  You could do it in a day.  We did it in snow!  Regardless, I still think it makes most sense to do this AFTER a wedding, not before just for your convenience.

Or you could invinte your small group to Seaside and call that good!  That's what we're doing.  One ceremony/reception in Jackson Hole and no separate functions afterwards.  Only the people I really care to see will be there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards