September 2012 Weddings

HM criticism vent

So FI and I are going to Reiviera Maya on our HM. On a resort. A resort. We don't plan on leaving too much except to do some shopping and go on a day tour excursion. I'm am SO sick of people asking me "Oh, where are you going on your honeymoon?" And then telling me how dangerous it is and how I shouldn't go out too much (even on the resort grounds). 

Stupid. Has anyone read the sticky on the HM board? It's not like we're going to gallavant around the dark alleyways. We're not even clubbing or anything. We're chilling on a resort on a gorgeous beach. Ugh! The next time someone tells me that, I'm going to punch them. I swear. lol

Re: HM criticism vent

• Here's an easy response for you for idiots who don't realize that Mexico is nearly as big as the US -

"Yes, there's violence in the border regions from drug cartels.  But if I were to tell you, 'Don't visit Colorado because there's violence in New Jersey', you'd think that pretty silly advice, right?  Same thing - the Riviera Maya is 2000 miles away from the border region, and it is just as safe now as it has ever been.  But thanks for your concern."

Seriously, people drive me nuts.  They think "Mexico" is equivalent to one US state (and not even a large one at that) and is comprised of tacos, sombreros, and tequila.  Don't let ignorant people ruin your enjoyment of your honeymoon!

For what it's worth, I was there 3 times in the last year, not on a resort, and I even rented a car (with friends/colleagues) and drove from Quintana Roo (Cancun) to Merida (about 3 hours away).  I've stayed in Mexico City and walked around (gasp) on my own.  Now, some basic street smarts are certainly in order, and don't draw attention to yourselves as tourists - this isn't the time to flaunt expensive jewelry, even though it's your honeymoon, keep debit cards at home and cash locked in the safe at the hotel except for what you plan to use that day, credit cards can be cancelled and reimbursed so those are the safest (Capital One has a 0% transaction rate internationally, which makes it cheaper than taking out or exchanging cash for pesos). 

But seriously, as long as you aren't getting wasted and wandering around in the middle of the night by yourself, and as long as you aren't vacationing in downtown Monterrey (northern Mexican city), you'll be fine.  Ignore ignorant people and enjoy the discounts you get from them avoiding a perfectly safe and great place!

Anniversary

• kwortman80kwortman80 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    The PP has it right.  I was just near Riviera Maya in January, and yeah... it's not Juarez or something.  You'll be at a resort ferchristsakes.  National news doesn't help with its scaremongering that seems to pop up around prime vacation times.  Sorry that people are giving you grief, though. 
  • Yes! Thank you.  We are also going to Riveria Maya and I am so sick of people telling us we are going to be kidnapped or murdered.  Really?  We'll be fine.  We have private transportation to and from the resort, 9 restaurants, 8 pools, and a private pool on our rooftop.  I'm not planning on leaving.  
    Biorama
    September 2012 August Siggy Challenge ~ Wedding Preview
    185 image 116 image 69 image 0 image RSVP Date: August 10
  • We're also going to Riviera Maya and I'm getting a lot of the same comments. And then when I tell people we aren't planning on leaving the resort, they say "well don't drink the water!" FFS.
    Anniversary
  • Before we booked Belize we got A LOT of flack for looking at Mexico. I think the analogy above is exactly right!
  • Yeah, seriously. Granted I haven't been to Mexico in a while, but I was in Cancun in 2007 for spring break. We left the resort to go drinking downtown in places like Senior Frogs and Daddy O's. I honesly didn't find it any more dangerous than a large American city (like where I live, Philadelphia). I don't go parading my drunk bum down the street by myself at 2am in Philadelphia, and I wouldn't do that either in Cancun. We were unfamilar with the area and didn't speak Spanish, so we used one of those "let's babysit you while you drink" tours. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Thank you girls! It's not like we're going boozing in the middle of Drug Town. Resort, people! RESORT! Ahhh! lol
  • My FMIL is super scared of us going to the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC! What is wrong with that place??! Haha
    September 2012: May Sig
    Honeymoon Location: Punta Cana, DR
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a nice resort in Playa del Carmen last year for 7 days all by myself. I thought people were going to have a heart attack. I was just fine. As long as you have street smarts, you will be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We've been getting the criticism from the FILs because we're going to Cabo lol
  • Cabo is a bit closer to the violence, but you should be fine.  Just use common sense.  And Dominican Republic has some bad areas, but the resorts are fine.  Again, just use common sense. 

Basically most of the Caribbean and Latin America have impoverished areas sprinkled throughout (as does the US - anyone want to vacation in the ghetto of LA?  Didn't think so).  It's all about being smart, and staying at a resort and doing the "babysit you while you drink" tours is an easy way to do that (that made me LOL, btw).

Anniversary

• I'm going to Secrets resort in Maroma Beach and I get the same reactions too!  Mostly it comes from older people but FMIL gives me a 10 min speech of all the things we should and shouldn't do every time the topic comes up.  Fortunately, the topic doesn't come up often. 
  • I get criticised if I even MENTION my hopes for going on a honeymoon. "What a waste of money! Why wouldn't you spend that on bills? You can't afford that!" 

I'm so mad and sick of it I've decided that IF we go on a honeymoon, it will be a last-minute thing we do with the money we get from the wedding gifts.. and we won't tell my family until it's too late to back out. HA. It's none of their business. It's not like they're paying for the wedding either. 
    Photobucket Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to Re: HM criticism vent:
    [QUOTE]I get criticised if I even MENTION my hopes for going on a honeymoon. "What a waste of money! Why wouldn't you spend that on bills? You can't afford that!"  I'm so mad and sick of it I've decided that IF we go on a honeymoon, it will be a last-minute thing we do with the money we get from the wedding gifts.. and we won't tell my family until it's too late to back out. HA. It's none of their business. It's not like they're paying for the wedding either. 
    Posted by prettypictures[/QUOTE]

That would piiss me off to no end. I'd go on a HM just to spite them. lol!
  • Maybe if I comment I can see the post?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards