Missouri-St Louis

Outdoor ceremony and lunch reception (kinda long)

Hello! So I have been trying to figure out this whole ceremony/reception/food situation and I think I may have figured it all out and I would like your opinion on it. I  wrote the plot for my book, but I just can't figure out the ending...

The park that I have in mind (Bee Tree in South County) has seperate locations for weddings and receptions, so there might be a tiny bit of a walk, but I'm thinking of using that time for taking photos while every walks to the reception site (I still have to physically see how far the walk would be to solidify the timeline of events, so there might be a longer walk or none at all). Thoughts?

I'm thinking of having most of our pictures taken before the ceremony, the ones that DO NOT have the bride and groom together (i.e; FI and his family, me and my family, me and my MOH, FI and his BM, etc.), so there won't be that many to take afterwards and we can start the reception sooner.Thoughts?

The ceremony would start at maybe 11:30am then after the pictures of FI and me are done, start the reception and have everyone BBQ and have fun ( FI and I would be providing all food and drinks). I would have the photog get the cutting of the cake and us walking into the reception site and maybe a few more photos, but I really just want the ceremony covered (I know how our families dance Laughing, so I don't see the need to get a bunch of pictures of that when the ceremony is the more important part IMHO.)Thoughts?

The wrapping up of the reception is the only thing that I cannot seem to think of. Since the ceremony would be starting early in the day (and this is in summer, mind, so I can't use nighttime as an excuse to leave) and we would be providing lunch, I'm not sure if people are going to expect us to provide their dinner as well, or if they will get that we're only serving lunch....I don't want to be rude and tell everyone to leave (in much nicer terms than that), but I don't want them to get upset either. Do you think that I should push the start time back so I can use nighttime (and therefore the closing of the park) as a way to get everyone to leave (without being rude)? Thoughts?

Thank you everyone! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mrs. Parker

Re: Outdoor ceremony and lunch reception (kinda long)

• edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding in Bee Tree Park and the wedding/ reception weren't that far apart.  Unless you have handicapped family members to accomodate I wouldn't be concerned.

I am a huge proponent of taking all of the posed photos, including those of the B&G together before the ceremony.  It is awesome to be able to be with your guests the whole time.  If you're doing it in a park, I also don't know how you'd hide if the worry is G seeing you before the wedding.  You'll want most of your pictures in the same general area for continuity for display purposes later.

You will want your photographer at your entire reception.  Ours left with like 15 min left and our friends started a really adorable singing thing after that and I wish I had pro pics of it.  During our reception there was not just the usual toasts and cake cutting, garter/ bouquet tossing, but also lots of really fun things- like people taking advantage of the candy bar, people drinking together, people singing songs to each other- not just dancing.  Don't cut your photog.

I think any event I'm invited to at 11:30 is going to be over by 4 at the latest.  I wouldn't expect 2 meals out of any wedding reception.  The B&G leaving has been the wrap up sign at every reception I've ever been to, so I feel like when you make your grand exit, your guests will get the hint.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_outdoor-ceremony-lunch-reception-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:a47ad29c-2bc2-47d3-bab8-49bb2f5696fbPost:b0615ec7-741b-4f2f-af93-913d5f64b001">Re: Outdoor ceremony and lunch reception (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a wedding in Bee Tree Park and the wedding/ reception weren't that far apart.  Unless you have handicapped family members to accomodate I wouldn't be concerned. I am a huge proponent of taking all of the posed photos, including those of the B&G together before the ceremony.  It is awesome to be able to be with your guests the whole time.  If you're doing it in a park, I also don't know how you'd hide if the worry is G seeing you before the wedding.  You'll want most of your pictures in the same general area for continuity for display purposes later. You will want your photographer at your entire reception.  Ours left with like 15 min left and our friends started a really adorable singing thing after that and I wish I had pro pics of it.  During our reception there was not just the usual toasts and cake cutting, garter/ bouquet tossing, but also lots of really fun things- like people taking advantage of the candy bar, people drinking together, people singing songs to each other- not just dancing.  Don't cut your photog. I think any event I'm invited to at 11:30 is going to be over by 4 at the latest.  I wouldn't expect 2 meals out of any wedding reception.  The B&G leaving has been the wrap up sign at every reception I've ever been to, so I feel like when you make your grand exit, your guests will get the hint.
    Posted by maryandkirk0909[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks mary! That really does help alot to get someone else's perspective on it. </div>
    Mrs. Parker
  • We had our wedding at Bee Tree Park, it turned out absolutely gorgeous! Its not that far from the garden ceremony site and either of the pavillion spaces!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards